1.    #1  
    I thought it might be worth mentioning that documentation of any sort (manuals, spec sheets, selling sheets, etc.) are really pretty irrelevant at this point in terms of defining the Pre's capabilities, except perhaps for hardware features.

I say this because Palm can provide any new functionality they want via an over-the-air update, and then simply update the documentation at the same time. So, it's not terribly valid at this point to say "the manual doesn't mention this, and so it won't be on the Pre."

Ultimately, we won't know what the Pre really does until 1) we get a bona fide announcement from Palm that provides in-depth info, 2) we get the Pre in our hot little hands, and/or 3) we get the first series of inevitable updates. And, I see #1 and #2 being related--Palm could announce interesting stuff tomorrow or at any point before launch, and simply say that whatever will be provided in an update.

So, maybe we shouldn't focus so much on what's in the leaked manual or other documentation. Really, that just limits our imagination, anyways.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Good post! Makes me feel at ease a bit more lol
    When the phones come out and we have it in our hands, then the complaining at Palm can begin to give us features that are missing.

If anything, I prefer that the first update (or first few) to be about stability or any other bugs than features.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I thought it might be worth mentioning that documentation of any sort (manuals, spec sheets, selling sheets, etc.) are really pretty irrelevant at this point in terms of defining the Pre's capabilities, except perhaps for hardware features.

I say this because Palm can provide any new functionality they want via an over-the-air update, and then simply update the documentation at the same time. So, it's not terribly valid at this point to say "the manual doesn't mention this, and so it won't be on the Pre."

Ultimately, we won't know what the Pre really does until 1) we get a bona fide announcement from Palm that provides in-depth info, 2) we get the Pre in our hot little hands, and/or 3) we get the first series of inevitable updates. And, I see #1 and #2 being related--Palm could announce interesting stuff tomorrow or at any point before launch, and simply say that whatever will be provided in an update.

So, maybe we shouldn't focus so much on what's in the leaked manual or other documentation. Really, that just limits our imagination, anyways.

Well, one thing I can say that won't be on the phone is a hard button to enter voice dialing. Unless a s/w update can somehow include a reconfiguration of the physical aspects of the Pre.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Well, one thing I can say that won't be on the phone is a hard button to enter voice dialing. Unless a s/w update can somehow include a reconfiguration of the physical aspects of the Pre.
    How about a long press on the center button? Would that work for you? Easily done in software.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Maybe it doesn't have to. It will know when you are talking to it...
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    How about a long press on the center button? Would that work for you? Easily done in software.
    Yes, as that would be a button that could be hit without looking at a screen. Dave, please call Palm and have them get right on that! I'd be happy with that method.
    Any statement about 'missing' functionality based on the documentation should include "at launch". If it is not in the documentation by now, there is a high likelyhood that it will not be available at launch. Assuming that the docs don't have missing pages or are old versions that do not accompany the pre at launch.