Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Availability
    Hulu or a similar service besides Sprint TV where it's easy for people to watch shows and movies on the device
    Hopefully when Flash is released, hulu and other video streaming will be supported by default and not require anything specific to Pre.

Pre could really distinguish itself from iPhone by supporting things natively as much as possible, not needing device specific development. The proprietary iPhone app certification model drives me nuts.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    1. Virtual Keyboard (Landscape and portrait)
    2. Ability to download songs on Sprint Network
    3. Video Recording
    4. Apps! Games!

I am a little nervous in regards to the App Catalog. It does seem a little odd that Palm hasn't released more info about what Apps are ready for launch and what apps are being created. Yeah, I know there are leaked documents stating what apps are in the works, but it's nothing official. If the App Catalog doesn't turn out to be Great, then the device will have a short life span. All Apple does now is advertise Apps.
    I still haven't made my decision between the new iphone and the palm pre, but its a little nerve racking that sites like CNET haven't even gotten the phone yet. Think of the hype that would occur if reviewers rated it better than the Iphone 3g.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    MicroSD slot & local HotSync. Call me old fashioned, but that's what I'll miss.

3RD party apps will support desktop sync

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...arty-apps.html
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moltz2323 View Post
    1. Virtual Keyboard (Landscape and portrait)
    2. Ability to download songs on Sprint Network
    3. Video Recording
    4. Apps! Games!

I am a little nervous in regards to the App Catalog. It does seem a little odd that Palm hasn't released more info about what Apps are ready for launch and what apps are being created. Yeah, I know there are leaked documents stating what apps are in the works, but it's nothing official. If the App Catalog doesn't turn out to be Great, then the device will have a short life span. All Apple does now is advertise Apps.
    I still haven't made my decision between the new iphone and the palm pre, but its a little nerve racking that sites like CNET haven't even gotten the phone yet. Think of the hype that would occur if reviewers rated it better than the Iphone 3g.
    Based on what you say is important to you, it does sound like the iPhone might be a better choice for you. The Pre is not designed as a gaming platform, like the iPhone has become.

The advantage of the iPhone is that apps are limited to their own little sandbox, so games work very well where they don't have to touch other parts of the OS for information.

The Pre is designed to be an information device, allowing people to communicate and DO things faster.

If you're a media junky and love the IDEA of a portable media device, the iPhone is probably your best bet. But if you're like me and just want an easy way to manage your personal and business lives on the same device so we can spend more time with our families, the Pre is probably a better option.

As for the landscape keyboard... i could care less, but I can see how some people want it. It think that most people won't use it, rather they want it because the iPhone has it. So since the iPhone has it, it would be considered a failure without it... it's kinda screwed up logic...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    The only thing i REALLLLLLY wanted that the Pre won't have is Visual Voice Mail. Other than that, a SD card slot would be nice, and the ability to type more than 160 characters in one text message (I said type, not send. I used to have a phone that would let you type 300 characters and then break it up and send it as two separate consecutive txt messages automatically...soooo nice). Other than the memory card slot though, I'm betting there will be 3rd party apps that address these things.
    I know they have been said before, but I would have like to seen a mini-SD card slot and tethering.
    • card slot / more memory
    • d-pad or trackball (center button is a waste)
    • maybe a couple more hard keys

why does everything have to be touch based or just so iphone like? see one above
    it on that topic as well
    • soft keyboard option-

could care less about the iphone, but if my phone is mounted in the car, it ain't
    convenient to pop it out of the cradle and open the keyboard to enter something.
    also if I'm in landscape and need to enter one word, it seems dumb to rotate, open,
    type, rotate, continue.
    • local sync (via wifi would even work)
    • a way to sync memos (huge fubar in my eyes)
    • categories for memories
    • categories for contacts
    • first and last name fields
    • separate fields for adrs

no I'm not buying into universal search as a reason the above 4 are not there
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    But if you're like me and just want an easy way to manage your personal and business lives on the same device so we can spend more time with our families, the Pre is probably a better option.
    The Pre will allow you to spend more time with your family compared to using another phone?

Now that is an amazing feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    • card slot / more memory
    • d-pad or trackball (center button is a waste)
    • maybe a couple more hard keys

why does everything have to be touch based or just so iphone like? see one above
    it on that topic as well
    • soft keyboard option-

could care less about the iphone, but if my phone is mounted in the car, it ain't
    convenient to pop it out of the cradle and open the keyboard to enter something.
    also if I'm in landscape and need to enter one word, it seems dumb to rotate, open,
    type, rotate, continue.
    • local sync (via wifi would even work)
    • a way to sync memos (huge fubar in my eyes)
    • categories for memories
    • categories for contacts
    • first and last name fields
    • separate fields for adrs

no I'm not buying into universal search as a reason the above 4 are not there
    This doesn't seem like a list of features missing in the Pre, but rather a list of specifications required for a completely different phone. Maybe the Eos will be more to your liking.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The Pre will allow you to spend more time with your family compared to using another phone?

Now that is an amazing feature.
    Isn't that kinda the whole point of PIM?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    there is another post that says June Fabrics plans to release PDANet tethering for Pre.
    Won't help me, probably, because I use a Mac. Now, if USBModem becomes available for the Pre, that would be fabulous.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I have a 1st gen iPhone and I have missed many a call in the last two years because there is no way to know without unlocking the phone if you missed a calendar event or a call. Very frustrating. My brother has a BB Pearl on T-mobile and does his entire business on it. He has purchased every new smartphone available and stays with the less than perfect BB because of it has a good vibrator, notification LED and small size. He is looking at the PRE as I am maybe.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    1. Ability to talk and surf or email at the same time.
    2. Visual voicemail.
    3. Insufficient storage.
    4. On screen touchscreen typing as option, particularly in landscape mode.
    5. Inability to easily sync items in simple way like iTunes (USB mode stinks).
    I'm hoping the long-rumored Angelina Jole attachment comes out with the launch.

And what the price will be...
    I want to be able to upload the photos I take with a dedicated (not built in) camera. I was planning on using my treo 650 as a bluetooth card reader by:
    1. take sd card out of camera and place in treo
    2. send photos to pre via bluetooth (object push)
    3. Upload to net
    Unfortunately, it does not appear that the pre uses bluetooth for anything other than audio. That's a bummer.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    1. Ability to talk and surf or email at the same time.
    5. Inability to easily sync items in simple way like iTunes (USB mode stinks).
    I think you should be looking in Apple's direction. I doubt very much that anyone but Apple will have truly easy iTunes syncing. Heck, I have two iPods and they don't sink with iTunes that great as it is. My shuffle in particular has loads of problems and often needs to be reset. You're other points are good though.

The things that this phone needs to be on par with other smartphones were already touched on:

1. Voice dialing. My crappy Motorola slider has a voice-dial button on the side. I can have it on speaker phone and just hit the one button. Never need to look at the phone.

2. Visual Voicemail. Personally I think this is a must for any top tier smartphone. Phones that are used for business often save many messages due to multiple clients, bosses, etc... For a phone to succeed in the business market it needs to make doing business things easy, like sorting through voicemail.

3. Downloading music over 3g from Amazon. Seriously, after all the crap that Apple/ATT has received from limiting 3g usage this was the best course of action? We don't know the source of this limitation...but it should have been ironed out prior to launch. They had plenty of time.

4. On screen keyboard. If you only need to type in a few characters for something like universal search, you shouldn't have to open the keypad.

5. Tethering. See business application for number 2. Reducing the number of devices is a good thing. Granted the limitation of no simultaneous voice and data makes this less useful to Sprint users, but it should still be there.

Things that this device will never have:
    1. SD slot with less native storage than it's competitors. Like it or not, people will see that 8GB and feel it is inferior to the 32GB iPhone for that single reason alone. You may say good riddance to those customers, but the success of this device (and Palm) depends on widespread usage.

2. Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3g. Again, on an OS that is designed from the ground for multitasking, this limitation hurts.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Voice dialing via bluetooth is on the Pre. Voice dialing without bluetooth is pointless as the amount of keypresses required make universal search or speed dial just as fast.

This isn't really true. As others have pointed out, the pre could have a dedicated voice dial button.

But even *without* a dedicated button, a non-bluetooth voice dial app is *essential* and should be possible for the Pre. Someone should make an app that tells the phone to listen for voice commands whenever the slider is opened. Shouldn't that be possible? (Or, if that's not possible, then maybe the app listens when you press the spacebar?)

This would allow you to make a call while driving, etc., which is very common and necessary. I am almost hesitating to buy the pre now, since I realize that my old nine-button phone is so much safer to use while running errands, etc.

Does anyone know if someone will make a voice dial app that doesn't require using the touchscreen? A app like this is necessary, since one can't always stare at the screen or keyboard when dialing.
    REAL applications.
    I wish the Pre had a slide keyboard from the side. It's not really a big deal, but with everything going widescreen it's just my preference.

What I miss most of all is that now most phones have a blank scree and it has to be touched or unlocked to get main screen information. I miss my Siemens C56, but the Pre is total kick ***!
    Taser, though I hear they're horrible on battery life.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast