Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    From the manual, "If you’re using the speakerphone feature with your phone lying on a flat surface, try turning the phone face down (screen facing the surface)."

    So I'm going to place the SCREEN face down in order to use the speaker phone? Will Palm replaced all phones with scratched screens from following their instructions? The MICROPHONE will be facing the surface the phone is placed on--that doesn't sound too swift, IMO.
  2. #2  
    What is the entire context?
    Follow Me On

  3. 3_D
    3_D is offline
    3_D's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #3  
    It's just recommending it because the speaker in on the back of the phone and can be muted if placed on a non-hard surface.
  4. reminiz's Avatar
    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    #4  
    I guess it's because of the speaker on the back of the phone being uses, and it might be muffled otherwise? However, the mic is on the other side, so, wouldn't you sound muffled when talking?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I guess it's because of the speaker on the back of the phone being uses, and it might be muffled otherwise? However, the mic is on the other side, so, wouldn't you sound muffled when talking?
    It shouldn't be muted by having the speaker face the surface. I had a Storm that was loud as hell and the speaker fired right into the surface the phone rested on, with just a bit more than 1/16"of a gap. the curved surface of the Pre will keep the speaker from resting directly against any surface.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3_D View Post
    It's just recommending it because the speaker in on the back of the phone and can be muted if placed on a non-hard surface.
    Yeah. If you put the phone face-up on carpeting or something, it will muffle the sound. A) if you manage scratch up your phone on carpeting, you are full of win. B) why would you not get a screen protector in the first place?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    What is the entire context?
    Page 271, regarding echo. If there is an echo, I'm going to be returning the phone, as I use SP mode all the time.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantCalibre View Post
    Yeah. If you put the phone face-up on carpeting or something, it will muffle the sound. A) if you manage scratch up your phone on carpeting, you are full of win. B) why would you not get a screen protector in the first place?

    how often do you lay a phone on a rug???
  9. 3_D
    3_D is offline
    3_D's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    how often do you lay a phone on a rug???
    Could be a sofa, car seat, bed, or any upholstered surface.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    how often do you lay a phone on a rug???
    Much like the majority of future Pre owners, I make the majority of my calls via speakerphone while laying on my stomach on the carpet in the living room eating Cap-N-Crunch and watching cartoons.
  11. reminiz's Avatar
    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    #11  
    well, if you flip it over on a rug or some type of upholstery, won't the mic be covered up? How will the other person be able to hear you?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantCalibre View Post
    Much like the majority of future Pre owners, I make the majority of my calls via speakerphone while laying on my stomach on the carpet in the living room eating Cap-N-Crunch and watching cartoons.
    Sounds like the perfect day to me.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantCalibre View Post
    Much like the majority of future Pre owners, I make the majority of my calls via speakerphone while laying on my stomach on the carpet in the living room eating Cap-N-Crunch and watching cartoons.
    I love this site. You guys are so funny.
  14. #14  
    Open keyboard. Problem solved

    Need another rediculously easy solutions to non-problems, just ask.
  15. #15  
    nit picking a little ?
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  16. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Open keyboard. Problem solved

    Need another rediculously easy solutions to non-problems, just ask.
    Or just use a $3 screen guard. A table surface isn't going to be the only thing that will put scuffs on your screen so protect it.

    (BTW, i usually don't cheer snooty answers but I don't mind it here because of the thread title. Especially when surfing over your phone then it's so annoying when people don't put the thread subject in the subject line.)
  17.    #17  
    agreed, that should help somewhat. However, the portion of the manual I quoted, gives me pause, as Palm seems to anticipate ECHO when using the speakerphone with the phone orientated right side up. That's not good news for speaker phone mode users. It shouldn't echo no matter the orientation, period.
  18. ads
    ads is offline
    ads's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    #18  
    Like my online banking voice/phone service, if on speakerphone.
    My guess is they're just offering a feedback lessening solution for these cases, versus telling users the phone is going to echo on speakerphone all the time.
    ADS

Posting Permissions