Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
       #1  
    Desktop syncing not supported by Palm, BUT...

    Tip on page 275 of User Guide.

    A number of third-party applications are available that let you synchronize data on your Pre phone with a desktop application. Visit palm.com/migrate-pre
    .to learn more.
  2. #2  
    sweet...im sold
  3. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Desktop syncing not supported by Palm, BUT...

    Tip on page 275 of User Guide.

    A number of third-party applications are available that let you synchronize data on your Pre phone with a desktop application. Visit palm.com/migrate-pre
    .to learn more.
    The link does not work yet. App store is not up either.

    Check again on launch day or possibly after the Ruby and Roger show at D7 thursday. Info flow is becoming a tidal wave. FINALLY!
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Desktop syncing not supported by Palm, BUT...

    Tip on page 275 of User Guide.

    A number of third-party applications are available that let you synchronize data on your Pre phone with a desktop application. Visit palm.com/migrate-pre
    .to learn more.
    That is great freaking news.
  5. #5  
    I'm surprised that you folks are so excited about this. It seemed likely that such an option would be available from a third party - just not free from Palm.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  6. #6  
    With WebOS being so new, I and many others have been worried that these third-party apps might not show up for some time. For folks like me who are not on an Exchange Server system it was looking grim for a while. Palm said "no" and everyone else said "maybe". Didn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm surprised that you folks are so excited about this. It seemed likely that such an option would be available from a third party - just not free from Palm.
    To me they were making it sound like it wouldn't be allowed at all, because they are pushing so hard for this stupid cloud thing. It should have definitely been included with the phone. That was a disappointment.

    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    With WebOS being so new, I and many others have been worried that these third-party apps might not show up for some time. For folks like me who are not on an Exchange Server system it was looking grim for a while. Palm said "no" and everyone else said "maybe". Didn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Yeah, what he said too.
  8. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm surprised that you folks are so excited about this. It seemed likely that such an option would be available from a third party - just not free from Palm.
    Early on, when I saw Chapura I thought this was the case, but as time went on and there were no announcements I was starting to think maybe not. Either way I don't care, I'll be using the cloud, just saw it and thought I'd share.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm surprised that you folks are so excited about this. It seemed likely that such an option would be available from a third party - just not free from Palm.
    There is a big difference between "seeming likely" and announced and an enormous difference between "seeming likely" and actually available for the phone. There has been a lot of forum speculation but very few actual details up to now. In fact, we are still lacking in details. It will be interesting to see how well this software works.
  10. #10  
    Sorry all to be asking such an elementary question. But when referring to desktop sync; does this mean out of the box that the Pre will not be able to sync your calendar and contacts with Outlook (as I can currently with my Treo), or are we referring to syncing with docs, etc.? Thanks.
  11. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
       #11  
    The Tip is listed below this:

    I want to sync with Outlook or Palm Desktop software on my computer
    Your Pre phone does not support synchronization with Palm Desktop software or Outlook on your desktop computer. Your Pre phone, however, gives you options for synchronization without a cable. You can sync with online services that Palm has partnered with so that you can store and sync your info in online accounts. You can access your data even when you are not able to make a connection to the Web because a copy of your data is stored on your phone.If you have data from a Palm smartphone in Outlook or Palm Desktop software, you can do a one-way import of the data to your phone (see “Transfer Data From Your Computer to Your New Phone” on page19). You can assign this data to sync with an online account. You can also assign it to the Palm profile account. Data in this account is backed up to your Palm profile daily, so you can retrieve it if you need to reset your phone. But it is not a true sync, because you cannot change your Palm profile data anywhere except on your phone.If your Outlook data is associated with a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account, you can synchronize the info wirelessly with Exchange ActiveSync.


    So I would say that you will be able to sync with Outlook and Palm Desktop with a 3rd paty app.
  12. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #12  
    Based on reading the document, Palm Desktop software supports a one way transfer of your data from your desktop (outlook 2k3 or greater) to your Pre.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    The Tip is listed below this:

    I want to sync with Outlook or Palm Desktop software on my computer
    Your Pre phone does not support synchronization with Palm Desktop software or Outlook on your desktop computer. Your Pre phone, however, gives you options for synchronization without a cable. You can sync with online services that Palm has partnered with so that you can store and sync your info in online accounts. You can access your data even when you are not able to make a connection to the Web because a copy of your data is stored on your phone.If you have data from a Palm smartphone in Outlook or Palm Desktop software, you can do a one-way import of the data to your phone (see “Transfer Data From Your Computer to Your New Phone” on page19). You can assign this data to sync with an online account. You can also assign it to the Palm profile account. Data in this account is backed up to your Palm profile daily, so you can retrieve it if you need to reset your phone. But it is not a true sync, because you cannot change your Palm profile data anywhere except on your phone.If your Outlook data is associated with a Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account, you can synchronize the info wirelessly with Exchange ActiveSync.


    So I would say that you will be able to sync with Outlook and Palm Desktop with a 3rd paty app.
    Yeah, "But it is not a true sync, because you cannot change your Palm profile data anywhere except on your phone"
    Data needs to go both ways. If I make changes in Outlook, where I do most of it, I need it to show up on my phone. I don't want to do all the editing, adding contacts, etc., all on my phone.
  14. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Based on reading the document, Palm Desktop software supports a one way transfer of your data from your desktop (outlook 2k3 or greater) to your Pre.
    I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.

    A number of third-party applications are available that let you synchronize data on your Pre phone with a desktop application. Visit palm.com/migrate-pre
    .to learn more.
  15. #15  
    Thanks for the explanations.

    Personally, I was never that excited about third-party options. I felt like Palm should've provided such a solution for free.

    Since then, I've tried to open my mind to their new approach(es). I'm getting there.


    I just hope these third-party options are inexpensive. If they're pricey, that'll sting sooo much more.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  16. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Yeah, "But it is not a true sync, because you cannot change your Palm profile data anywhere except on your phone"
    Data needs to go both ways. If I make changes in Outlook, where I do most of it, I need it to show up on my phone. I don't want to do all the editing, adding contacts, etc., all on my phone.
    That's if you use Palm's profile. The tip says that there will be 3rd party apps, which this document would not have any details for.
  17. #17  
    I just don't get why they would make it Exchange, I mean the majority of people don't have exchange, do they? I could be wrong. How many work places allow any one to just have any phone link to their exchange services. I know my work doesn't. You have to jump through all these hoops and get permission from this manager and this manager. It's a PITA.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    That's if you use Palm's profile. The tip says that there will be 3rd party apps, which this document would not have any details for.
    But if you don't then it's just on your phone and that's it. Why are we paying for a 3rd party app though. It's just not right, but...what ever. I want the phone and if that's how it is then I just have to get used to it.
  19. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
       #19  
    If you use a 3rd party app, that can sync with a desktop you shouldn't need Exchange.
  20. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    But if you don't then it's just on your phone and that's it. Why are we paying for a 3rd party app though. It's just not right, but...what ever. I want the phone and if that's how it is then I just have to get used to it.
    No, the Palm Profile is just a backup, it's not a sync. If you use that, you can only access that info from your phone.

    Any 3rd party app will sync between Outlook or Palm Desktop and your phone. You can edit in both places, same as sync works now. At least that's what it sounds like to me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions