Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Looks like the User Guide has been taken down already.

Anyone notice if it's possible to upload Pre photos directly to Flickr or some other photo sharing site?
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissurra View Post
    I wonder if hacking this phone would be impossible, Palm forces the OS updates to you which would effectively break any hacks.
    The first functionality that will be hacked is a way to disable automatic updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmLoyal View Post
    I don't think this is the point. I think Sprint's "message" to consumers is that we wont let you walk out the door with a phone you don't know how to use, we will teach you the basics before you leave.

This cuts down on returns from consumers who can't figure out their new fancy phone.
    With the memo about not selling to the "wrong" customers I get this picture of a Sprint Rep telling a customer "This phone is smarter then you, could we interest you in a nice dumb phone!"
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    If you read the slide it clearly is making sure the CSR knows which phone is suited better for a business with a lot of security protocols.
    What I find funny is they took the time to implement a one time contact transfer from desktops but didn't bother to just make the option available on a regular basis.

Being redirected to third party sites to make a purchase is also an interesting decision. On the one hand you have the ability to side load and not have Palm standing over the shoulders in a big brotherish way but on the other you will not have a central place for purchases. Meaning credit card / personal info being shared among many developers instead of using a single clearing house like Itunes. Blessing and a curse depending on how you look at it. Doesn't bother me.

Hopefully applications can be downloaded over 3g and installed without needing USB sync to a computer. I do like that on the Iphone. I can deal with MP3's over Wifi only. I don't like it but whatever.

No mention of bookmark categories which is a mistake, hopefully they add that ability later.

Battery life discrepancy of 4 hours in one page and 5 on the other. I'll believe the 4 hour number as that seems a bit more reasonable. We'll see. I'm sure like anything if you turn off all the features, screen to black and just talk on the phone it MIGHT get 5 hours but who the hell uses their phone like that?
    any word in the user guide about McNamee's "Pre knows where you are and who you're meeting and will email your meeting attendees if you're running late."???
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    any word in the user guide about McNamee's "Pre knows where you are and who you're meeting and will email your meeting attendees if you're running late."???
    Nope, nothing whatsoever. I think I mentioned this before but I really think he was just spouting off hyperbole that the technology is capable of in the future, but doesn't necessarily exist on the Pre. Keep in mind Palm emphatically denied every single one of his statements the next day.
    There's a ton of stuff not making the initial cut, but looks to be added down the road a piece.

Video recording - probably
    Visual Voice Mail - probably
    Group SMS - probably
    Voice Dialing - probably
    Download music over 3G - ??? (Up to Sprint)
    Simultaneous Voice + Data on 3G - ??? (Up to Sprint)

Desktop sync looks to be handled by 3rd party apps.
    Mac support doesn't look to promising without some Wiley Coyote / Roadrunner Acme work-around solutions.

Not to make light of the missed opportunities and boneheaded omissions, but remember this is revision 1 of a brand new platform. There's bound to be some growing pains and a straightening out period. Look how long it took the iPhone to get MMS and Copy/Paste! A modicum of patience is in order here.
    Last edited by rambo47; 05/27/2009 at 08:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    The fact sheet and user guide are still in beta.
    Not according to Coal in message #31.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    If you read the slide it clearly is making sure the CSR knows which phone is suited better for a business with a lot of security protocols.
    You know, odds are that the same people that are twisting that into some sort of insult are the ones that would be female dogging and moaning that "No one told me it wouldn't abcxyzdef, I want a refund!"
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Also, unfortunately, it appears that the Pre will only have a basic calculator, and not the more advanced one that the Treo has had in the past.

Of course, I can't confirm that because there wasn't a screenshot in the manual, but the description gives that impression.
    The fact sheet that was posted on Sprint Gurus indicated that it had "Calculator (basic/advanced)"

SG Pre FactSheet
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Mac support doesn't look to promising without some Wiley Coyote / Roadrunner Acme work-around solutions.
    Actually if the list of WebOS applications available at or near launch (http://www.precentral.net/pre-applications-galore) is correct, Mark/Space would be the 3rd party to provide the Mac desktop sync solution.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Just found the full downloadable Pre user manual (344 pages!) and other marketing fact sheets online at wwwebOS.com - Your Authoritative Resource for Palm Pre and webOS Information - a bunch of archived news and info in the forums there, too.
    http://wwwebos.com - webOS User Community
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Thanks, but search button next time. These were released days ago and listed on the front page of this site (and every other tech blog).
    That's one of the risks you run when you try to hawk your website on other forums.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Spam!! :d
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Not as upset as I am to see there's no voice dialing on the Pre!!!
    I haven't read all of the user guide, but from the fact sheet:

Bluetooth® wireless technology 2.1 + EDR with A2DP (stereo Bluetooth) support Profiles:
    HSP (Headset Profile), HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PAN (Personal Area Networking),
    stereo audio streaming (A2DP, AVRCP) Voice dialing: over Bluetooth wireless.

(emphasis added)

Then again, the fact sheet claims 3 megapixels is 1600x1200 (which is just under 2).
    Quote Originally Posted by rhewitt View Post
    I haven't read all of the user guide, but from the fact sheet:

Bluetooth® wireless technology 2.1 + EDR with A2DP (stereo Bluetooth) support Profiles:
    HSP (Headset Profile), HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PAN (Personal Area Networking),
    stereo audio streaming (A2DP, AVRCP) Voice dialing: over Bluetooth wireless.

(emphasis added)

Then again, the fact sheet claims 3 megapixels is 1600x1200 (which is just under 2).
    Yeah, the fact sheet has a ton of things that just don't add up... I wouldn't actually take it as fact, because there's many instances where it contradicts the user's manual or things we already know. I'd be willing to bet that the only voice dialing you'll get on the Pre at launch is if your car stereo can do it.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234