Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I love the way it does updates.
    Not sure I love it. I want to control when an update gets loaded, so that some buggy update doesn't break functionality. When will these manufacturers understand its MY PHONE, not theirs?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Thats beyond absurd. They wouldn't let you walk out the door unless you know how to use the device? Please take a moment and think about it. If you don't know how to set up your email, they would not let you buy it? If you didn't know how to sync to your contact, they wouldn't let you buy it? You can't walk out the door unless you pass a pop quiz?

Really, think about how absurd that sounds.
    They give you the option of Sprint ReadyNow, I believe. This is where they teach you how to use the device and everything. However, they won't do that on launch day, I don't think. You have to make an appointment in advance for when you want that.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Thats beyond absurd. They wouldn't let you walk out the door unless you know how to use the device? Please take a moment and think about it. If you don't know how to set up your email, they would not let you buy it? If you didn't know how to sync to your contact, they wouldn't let you buy it? You can't walk out the door unless you pass a pop quiz?

<< edited by berd >> Sprint did in fact make a statement that implied this. They said that with sufficient training on devices before they leave the stores, it will limit the number of returns and also increase customer satisfaction. Real world is different than press releases, but it was in fact a real statement from Sprint so I think you owe the guy an apology.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 06/01/2009 at 03:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Not sure I love it. I want to control when an update gets loaded, so that some buggy update doesn't break functionality. When will these manufacturers understand its MY PHONE, not theirs?
    When you stop buying their products.
    Oh, if I had just a lowly penny for each minute my PC has had Windows update do it's thing (delayed shutdowns and restarts) I'd be a rich dude. Multiply that times the 6 PC's in the house and I'd be a billionaire. If I don't boot each computer frequently, the next time I boot it, it complains it needs to install a Windows update...I think MS should offset the cost of the OS by the value of time we lose productivity due to slow/frequent updates. I don't mind so much the downloading time, as it does it in the background, but man, when I have to endure the shutdown/startup delays as it installs some of the updates, it ticks me off. call me a curmudgeon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal View Post
    For those who wonder the manual is final, its actually printed and inside the already made and boxed Pres.
    Are you sure about that? The Users Guide is 344 pages long. I would be surprised if they print one for each box. Usually you get the quick start in the box and the users guide electronically anymore.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't want them to waste 344 pages of paper, box space, expense, etc.. on a huge manual. That seems dumb.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Oh, if I had just a lowly penny for each minute my PC has had Windows update do it's thing (delayed shutdowns and restarts) I'd be a rich dude. Multiply that times the 6 PC's in the house and I'd be a billionaire. If I don't boot each computer frequently, the next time I boot it, it complains it needs to install a Windows update...I think MS should offset the cost of the OS by the value of time we lose productivity due to slow/frequent updates. I don't mind so much the downloading time, as it does it in the background, but man, when I have to endure the shutdown/startup delays as it installs some of the updates, it ticks me off. call me a curmudgeon!
    Linux software updates rarely require a restart--only if the update is for a new kernel. Sometimes you'll have to restart an application. I hope that the update process for the Pre is similarly painless.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Linux software updates rarely require a restart--only if the update is for a new kernel. Sometimes you'll have to restart an application. I hope that the update process for the Pre is similarly painless.
    Linux only requires a restart if you want to use the new updates. A restart symbol will sit in the system tray until you do. No prompts or annoying pop ups.

I don't think this is the point. I think Sprint's "message" to consumers is that we wont let you walk out the door with a phone you don't know how to use, we will teach you the basics before you leave.

This cuts down on returns from consumers who can't figure out their new fancy phone.

I think if you walk in and don't need help they will buzz through the activation process and let you go play with your shiny new toy. At least that's my understanding...
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    Does anyone know if there is an appication kind of like slingbox, but for music only? It would be awesome if I could load all my music to one server/website and then just stream my own music. This would really lower the hit of only having 8 gigs for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    There's a program called Simplify Media for itunes, winamp and wmp. It works for computers and iPhones, here's hoping they develop it for the Pre. It wouldn't hurt to shoot the developers an email to ask/request it.
    Winamp Remote by Orb can also do this. It allows you to stream music and video from your PC. All you need on the client device is a web browser. Works on my Treos/Centro in Blazer, so I would assume it would work great with the Pre.
    https://winamp.orb.com/orb/html/index.html
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    But on a PC at least you have the option to turn off automatic updates!
    On Page 68 I noticed the tip for the keyboard shortcuts of copy, paste, and cut:
    You can also use keyboard shortcuts to cut, copy, and paste. After selecting
    the text or inserting the cursor, tap and hold the gesture area and press X
    (cut), C (copy), or V (paste).
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Not as upset as I am to see there's no voice dialing on the Pre!!!
    dude, it's Palm... If they don't make it, SDK will.
    I wonder if hacking this phone would be impossible, Palm forces the OS updates to you which would effectively break any hacks.

Also I hope that Pandora works on 3g and not just wifi like the Amazon store.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Me neither. I love it in theory, but did you read the part about how if it's downloaded an update, it will automatically install it after a predetermined time? I'm not liking that so much at all.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    That would be dope...
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    im just too excited about this phone to even worry about all these little things. I know that from such a potent phone as this, we expect perfection, but think about how vanilla the iphone was when it came out. with such a versatile os and open dev platform im sure that if palm doesnt push out an update within the first few months private dev teams WILL get the job done. all we have to do is sit back relax and await the coming glory!
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    That tells me they think their network might become overloaded.
    Gotta pay to play!!!!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!

That is sort of why it stuck in my mind. It did strike me as a bit over the top. And that was before I even thought about the launch day rush. And besides being an empiricist I prefer doing it myself. Just take my money, do what you have to and let me go play with my new toy.
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They give you the option of Sprint ReadyNow, I believe. This is where they teach you how to use the device and everything. However, they won't do that on launch day, I don't think. You have to make an appointment in advance for when you want that.
    That sounds better, I am sure that there will be plenty of people who might need a bit of a hand up as the Pre is a completely different animal than our Treos.
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast