Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Does it do voice dialing by recognizing names in Contacts, (rather than being trained for each contact, like a few of my older cell phones, which was a total pain) and...

2. Does it have a button on side of the phone to enter VD mode, and

3. Does phone go into speaker phone mode automatically, for VD?

On a related note, does the phone stay in SP mode if one chooses? Reason I ask, the STorm won't and that was irritating. My LG8300 stays in SP mode until I toggle the option by holding the "7" key for a few moments. Love that feature.
    Last edited by 1812dave; 05/25/2009 at 08:13 PM.
    I too would like to know this... Anyone? Bueller?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Voice Dialing is a must. I'm always on the road, and with the new Cal. state laws.....
    I can't believe Palm didn't considered the importance of this feature. I'm hoping that this is one of the surprises. Or, perhaps all of the surprises are gone. Without voice dialing, then I'm on the fence...pre or no pre? What to do?..................
    Give me BT voicedialing, too!! I think it supports the profile, so lets hope its built-in.

Maybe it will be their "one more thing.." announcement before launch!
    I hope it has voice dialing it will probably happen via a 3rd party app if its not a feature
  6.    #6  
    Can't find any mention of voice dialing in the Pre User Manual. Anyone know different?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    It says voice dialing over bluetooth in one of the docs. Can't remember which one.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    It says voice dialing over bluetooth in one of the docs. Can't remember which one.
    That would be awesome, hope it's true!
  9.    #9  
    THanks. then I'm screwed. I don't use BT. Can't stand them. I use speaker phone mode a lot. I've tried BT, never get a good fit or good enough sound clarity. Plus they look GEEKY as heck. Even if they worked better than they do, I'm not going to wear one under any circumstance.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Can't find any mention of voice dialing in the Pre User Manual. Anyone know different?
    I didn't see it either. I also did not see anything about bluetooth OBEX. The only thing in there about bluetooth seemed to be audio related.
    Voice dialing could probably be added with a third party app as well. I know blackberry has vlingo so maybe something could be developed for the pre.
    THanks. then I'm screwed. I don't use BT. Can't stand them. I use speaker phone mode a lot. I've tried BT, never get a good fit or good enough sound clarity. Plus they look GEEKY as heck. Even if they worked better than they do, I'm not going to wear one under any circumstance.
    I don't use a bluetooth headset, but love having a bluetooth car kit. Very safe, very convenient. And no one can tell you're a geek. Unless they're in the car with you. In which case they probably knew already.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    It is in the Fact Sheet

• Bluetooth® wireless technology 2.1 + EDR with A2DP (stereo Bluetooth) support Profiles: HSP (Headset Profile), HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PAN (Personal Area Networking), stereo audio streaming (A2DP, AVRCP) Voice dialing: over Bluetooth wireless.
    I don't think it's a make or break feature.

Why? To even start voice dialing you'll need to hit at least one button or one key.

However, we know you can set dang near every key on the keyboard for speed dial, also requiring one key press (presumably, open the keyboard, press and hold the letter/number you wish).
  15.    #15  
    actually it IS a deal breaker for anyone who wants to dial without looking at the phone (for example,when driving) and doesn't want to use a BT headset, like me.
    actually it IS a deal breaker for anyone who wants to dial without looking at the phone (for example,when driving) and doesn't want to use a BT headset, like me.
    You'd have to look at the phone the same amount of time to hit the button or key required to call via voice dial or speed dial.

The only exception is bluetooth voice dialing, but I was under the impression damn near every phone from 2005 on with bluetooth did this.
    it's a popular feature. but not a deal breaker for m as well.

W/ that said, it;s confirmed it can work.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    You'd have to look at the phone the same amount of time to hit the button or key required to call via voice dial or speed dial.

The only exception is bluetooth voice dialing, but I was under the impression damn near every phone from 2005 on with bluetooth did this.
    You couldn't be more wrong. With a hard key like my LG, or Storm, or many other phones, you simply press a REAL BUTTON to activate voice dialing. NO NEED TO LOOK AT THE PHONE to do that. You need to get out more, to know what features other phones have.
    You couldn't be more wrong. With a hard key like my LG, or Storm, or many other phones, you simply press a REAL BUTTON to activate voice dialing. NO NEED TO LOOK AT THE PHONE to do that. You need to get out more, to know what features other phones have.
    *Looks at title of forum*

Y'know we're discussing the PALM PRE, right?

There's one hard button in the center and to the best of anyone's knowledge it sure as heck doesn't turn on the phone application. On THIS phone you'd have to activate the phone app from the launcher or a keyboard shortcut.

Nobody's talking about how it works on other phones with physical buttons.
    The Treo phones have such great contact-lookup features that I just haven't found voice dialing with a BT headset helpful at all. To me, it's much easier to dial "jsm" to dial John Smith on the keyboard than to use a voice dialing. With BT, I have to: (1) make sure my headset is charged; (2) make sure I'm voice-dialing the correct number for the contact with multiple numbers; and (3) make sure I'm not dialing someone else by mistake. If I had a good car kit, I might feel differently.

I use a wired headset from theBoom.com. It's expensive, and more geeky than a bt headset, but theBoom headsets are the best headsets made, in my opinion. I can make work calls with my kids talking in the back seat, or with music playing in the background. No one knows I'm not sitting in my quiet office.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast