Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    On page 272 of the user guide under troubleshooting it says:

"My phone hangs up when I hold it to my ear
    You may be accidentally pressing the onscreen button with your cheek. Try holding the phone so that your face doesn't press against the screen."

I thought that was what the proximity sensor was for!!!

Update: Never mind... I called my local Pre Advocate and he confirmed that the proximity sensor does work and the screen turns off when held near your face.
    Last edited by reidme; 05/27/2009 at 12:28 PM.
    That's weird. The specs on page 323 says the Pre has a proximity sensor, along with ambient light sensor and accelerometer, but my search found no other mentions.

"Try holding the phone so that your face doesn't press against the screen."

Or you could try buying a phone that doesn't hang up when you talk on it.

Could this be the Pre's Achilles heel?
    Last edited by galavanter; 05/27/2009 at 09:30 AM.
    On one of the HQ pics, I think I saw a little hole in the front of the phone which I took to be the sensor. I'm writing from my Instinct, so I can;t go find the picture...but search those huge HQs.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    That hole is the microphone. The proximity sensor, like the ambient light sensor, would be hidden above the screen like they are on the iPhone.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Interesting stuff. I hope there's a reasonable answer to the op's question.

I was also wondering if the proximity sensor would keep me from manipulating my phone while it's in my pocket, let's say.

(I know it's got "onscreen" buttons, but when we get very familiar with our devices, we don't always need to see or feel them to manipulate them.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    it has to turn off the screen, there is no way it doesn't. What a huge mistake that would be. You might as well only use it on speakerphone if that's the case.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    it has to turn off the screen, there is no way it doesn't. What a huge mistake that would be. You might as well only use it on speakerphone if that's the case.
    Seriously. Why have a proximity sensor if it doesn't deactivate the screen during a call?
    I think there are rare occasions where you may be holding it where the proximity sensor doesn't kick in and this is just a trouble shoot for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I think there are rare occasions where you may be holding it where the proximity sensor doesn't kick in and this is just a trouble shoot for it.
    My initial reaction to your post was to agree and breathe a sigh of relief, but on second thought...

This isn't a troubleshooting situation if the book describes the malfunction, but doesn't suggest a way to restore functionality. It simply tells the user not to rely on that functionality.

That hardly seems worth printing.
    More than likely, You have the option to turn the sensor on and off?
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Then it should remind the user to be sure that the sensor has not been turned off.
    I don't think this is likely, I agree with west3man. If that were the case it should be telling the user to make sure it isn't turned off. Seriously, "You may be accidentally pressing the onscreen button with your cheek. Try holding the phone so that your face doesn't press against the screen."
    What a siily answer. It's a freaking phone.
    lol, Can this not wait for 1 more week?
    If, like the Storm, you end up muting a call over and over by holding it to your face, you'll see why this is such a big deal.
    Yeah, I know, once it's out it will answer all question. But answers like that just drive me
    It hurts when I do this Dr., "well, don't do that" LOL
    From Wikipaedia: "A proximity sensor is a sensor able to detect the presence of nearby objects without any physical contact".

The "hanging up when your face touches something on the screen' (Maybe the virtual "hangup" button?) issue is not related to a Proximity Sensor.

A Proximity Sensor senses when your face (or whatever body part you choose) is in the "proximity of/near-by" (not necessarily touching) the phone.

How it does this, and if it only applies to flesh being near the screen, and not solid objects, I do not know. Perhaps it's Pixie Dust (or would that be the EOS/Castle)? If it can differentiate between flesh and solids, it may be why Terminators have to be covered in flesh to go through time. TANGENT ALERT!

More thoughts...

An ideal implementation of such a sensor would be to only be active... when in Phone mode, when not on wired or Bluetooth headphones, and when not on Speakerphone. It would not hang up on people, but just turn off the screen (saving battery power). It might also turn off those virtual buttons so an accidental touching of the phone to part of your face would not activate those (now invisible) buttons with unwanted results.

It would have to somehow (majik again?) know the difference between being approached by a lot of flesh (the side of your face- so turn screen off) and just a bit of flesh (you are in phone mode and using a finger or two to tap out a number- so do not turn off screen then). It might be fun to try to fool it into thinking it is your face approaching by placing the (pardon the pun) "Palm" of your hand flat over the whole phone.
    Last edited by duanedude1; 05/27/2009 at 11:37 AM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    This is a pretty important feature for this type of phone design. It's the kind of issue that could make or break the user experience (or potential user interest).

Besides, who knows how nuts it will be in these stores on opening day(s). It may be hard to confirm or deny these types of concerns in-person because of crowds or low inventory.

I'd rather find out something like this from home, before the big day, than after standing in a long line (possibly in the rain).
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    From Wikipaedia: "A proximity sensor is a sensor able to detect the presence of nearby objects without any physical contact".

The "hanging up when your face touches something on the screen' (Maybe the virtual "hangup" button?) issue is not related to a Proximity Sensor.

A Proximity Sensor senses when your face (or whatever body part you choose) is in the "proximity of/near-by" (not necessarily touching) the phone.

How it does this, and if it only applies to flesh being near the screen, and not solid objects, I do not know. Perhaps it's Pixie Dust (or would that be the EOS/Castle)? If it can differentiate between flesh and solids, it may be why Terminators have to be covered in flesh to go through time. TANGENT ALERT!

It is a problem with the sensor if the proximity sensor is supposed to notice when your face is near the phone, then send a signal to deactivate the touchscreen.*

* - or most of it
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    This is a pretty important feature for this type of phone design. It's the kind of issue that could make or break the user experience (or potential user interest).

Besides, who knows how nuts it will be in these stores on opening day(s). It may be hard to confirm or deny these types of concerns in-person because of crowds or low inventory.

I'd rather find out something like this from home, before the big day, than after standing in a long line (possibly in the rain).
    <<edited by berd>>

Why don't you go on Twitter and ask on there if anyone has messed with it, and if they can confirm. You'll get a faster response than on here, IMO
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/27/2009 at 01:15 PM.
    that was rude and not even an accurate description of the concern that west3man has over the feature set of the Pre. I mean, why buy it if there are deal-breaker issues? That would be simply a waste of time, not to mention denying some other Pre purchaser a unit that MIGHT be in short supply. Better to be forewarned about issues with the Pre. After all, it isn't going to be perfect for everyone. No need to name call.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast