Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    I just called my local Pre Advocate and he confirmed for me that the screen DOES turn off completely when you hold it to your face and comes back on when you take it away from your face. The user manual is either wrong or for rare instances where the proximity sensor doesn't work.

BTW, he also confirmed that the Friday evening pre-sale is now cancelled and he can't sell them until 8AM Saturday. Bummer.
    I put that right up there with refrigerator's. How do you really know the light's off when the door closes?
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    If you're THAT ANAL about this sorta thing.. wow.

Why don't you go on Twitter and ask on there if anyone has messed with it, and if they can confirm. You'll get a faster response than on here, IMO
    Seriously dude you need to cease with the name calling and unnecessary rude comments. I got into it with you in a previous thread as well. Learn to have some patience for your fellow community members.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I put that right up there with refrigerator's. How do you really know the light's off when the door closes?
    He said he was making a call in his car in the dark and when he put the phone by his ear he could tell the light went out. It came back on when he brought the phone back down. He also said he had not had any problem with buttons on the screen being accidently pressed by his face touching it and he wasn't making any special effort to hold it away from his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    The guide should've said, in that case, that the sensor may not work with certain Picasso faces ( )

The quote doesn't seem like a troubleshooting item, to some of us. .
    As to the Picasso faces, you just need to be overweight, and you might have issues. But I don't think Palm or Sprint should say in the guide that if your obese, tough crap, for obvious reasons.

Also, I am not sure how you read it any other way than a troubleshooting item, since it, well, came from the troubleshooting section.

Now I think if we are being reasonable and we read this as "IF you are having trouble..." rather than "WHEN you have trouble..." fat faces notwithstanding, we have a lot less of an issue to have histrionics over. I am sorry if the intent was otherwise, but the tone of this thread, and others, certainly has been to run about in circles and squawk.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    As to the Picasso faces, you just need to be overweight, and you might have issues. But I don't think Palm or Sprint should say in the guide that if your obese, tough crap, for obvious reasons.

Also, I am not sure how you read it any other way than a troubleshooting item, since it, well, came from the troubleshooting section.
    Like I said earlier, troubleshooting malfunctions means suggesting ways of restoring functionality. The guide quote did not offer the latter.

It was like a doctor saying, "If it hurts when you turn your head like this, then don't turn your head that way, anymore."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Like I said earlier, troubleshooting malfunctions means suggesting ways of restoring functionality. The guide quote did not offer the latter.

It was like a doctor saying, "If it hurts when you turn your head like this, then don't turn your head that way, anymore."
    No, it is more like asking if your computer is plugged in if it is not working. Simplistic, nay even stupid, but unfortunately required based upon some users experience with technology. Now if you hold the phone away from your face and it still does not work, I'm not sure there would be any other solution for the end user to attempt to correct it. Time to send it in for service.
    VisorPhone Clone
    No, it is more like asking if your computer is plugged in if it is not working.
    Again, that would help restore functionality under normal conditions. Telling someone to talk on the phone in way unusual for most phone use is is not restoring functionality.

Simplistic, nay even stupid, but unfortunately required based upon some users experience with technology. Now if you hold the phone away from your face and it still does not work, I'm not sure there would be any other solution for the end user to attempt to correct it. Time to send it in for service.
    I didn't read the original text. I gather it say anything about "if it still doesn't work, then..." Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

At any rate, we'll likely have to agree to disagree.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    The quote doesn't seem like a troubleshooting item, to some of us. Maybe it was an incomplete quote or maybe it this guide was from an earlier version that has since been corrected or expanded upon.

Either way, it's a reasonable concern.
    It IS a troubleshooting item (on page 272). The fact is that if everything listed in the troubleshooting section was a considered a common problem then the Pre would be an abject failure. Troubleshooting sections usually cover rare problems and/or user idiocy (which many of the troubleshooting items in the Pre guide address). My favorite part is the section that describes taking the back off (and putting it back on) to replace the battery. Shortly after, it is followed by a section describing what to do if you can't get the back on. THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE IDENTICAL. There's no additional tips!
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Again, that would help restore functionality under normal conditions. Telling someone to talk on the phone in way unusual for most phone use is is not restoring functionality.

I didn't read the original text. I gather it say anything about "if it still doesn't work, then..." Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

At any rate, we'll likely have to agree to disagree.
    Well, no, the problem as described is the phone turns off when placed against the ear. Holding away from your face when you palce it agaist your ear, instead of placeing it against your face, would correct that problem as it would allow the proximity sensor to kick in. Then you could talk all smash faced as , um, normal.

But I can't correct you, because I do not have access to the user manual at my location. Which means I am arguing something I cannot only guess about, which is probably fairly futile.
    VisorPhone Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    It IS a troubleshooting item (on page 272). The fact is that if everything listed in the troubleshooting section was a considered a common problem then the Pre would be an abject failure. Troubleshooting sections usually cover rare problems and/or user idiocy (which many of the troubleshooting items in the Pre guide address). My favorite part is the section that describes taking the back off (and putting it back on) to replace the battery. Shortly after, it is followed by a section describing what to do if you can't get the back on. THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE IDENTICAL. There's no additional tips!

I disagree with your assertion that troubleshooting sections cover rare issues. The opposite is usually true--the most COMMON problems are addressed in User Manual's troubleshooting guides.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I disagree with your assertion that troubleshooting sections cover rare issues. The opposite is usually true--the most COMMON problems are addressed in User Manual's troubleshooting guides.
    OK, maybe I wasn't clear. Typically, as you say, the troubleshooting covers the most common problems. However, in my experience, while those are the most common problems (when they occur), the problems don't commonly occur.

So, we're both right

So to clarify this particular issue further, my assumption is that if someone does have a problem with the Pre hanging up during a call, then maybe they need to keep it away from their face (most common cause). However, I don't believe this will commonly occur.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    One thing I think we can all agree on is that the troubleshooting section is poorly written (no surprise there.)

My original concern was unfounded; the proximity sensor does shut off the screen when held next to your face.
    I think you guys are getting excited over nothing. While the troubleshooting section covers the most common problems, it still doesn't make them COMMON.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123