Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    If you're THAT ANAL about this sorta thing.. wow.
    a⋅nal [eyn-l] Show IPA
    –adjective 1. of, pertaining to, involving, or near the anus.
    2. Psychoanalysis. a. of or pertaining to the second stage of psychosexual development, during which gratification is derived from the retention or expulsion of feces.
    b. of or pertaining to an anal character.
    c. of or pertaining to gratification derived from stimulation of the anus.
    3. Not wanting one's smartphone to hang up on a caller whenever it is against one's face.

Wow. I hadn't noticed that third definition of "anal."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    LOL!!
    West3man-

I'm not sure how it could be a problem if the screen, and the "touch" part of it, is turned off when the phone is near (really, really near) your face. Are you going to try to sneak a finger between the phone and your face to activate a virtual button?

Sorry, I am really confused by your concern... if (BIG IF) Palm does it right. If not, then maybe you have a point. I just do not foresee a case where you would want the screen or it's touch-sensitive virtual buttons to be active if your face is up against it. I'm not talking about hanging up on people, just turning the screen (and virtual button on it) off.

Again, this depends on how it is all implemented.

I described what I thought was an ideal implementation of such a sensor, we do not yet know if Palm's implementation is ideal, or something less.

I guess we'll know soon.
    All the best... dd1

Love that 3rd definition!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    It would have to somehow (majik again?) know the difference between being approached by a lot of flesh (the side of your face- so turn screen off) and just a bit of flesh (you are in phone mode and using a finger or two to tap out a number- so do not turn off screen then).
    I think duanedude1 has it exactly right. The troubleshooting guide is probably for those people that may have "pointy" cheeks or touch the phone with their ear, etc. My guess is that the proximity sensor will work on the vast majority of people, but some people may occasionally have a problem, and Sprint is trying to address it in the guide.

Of course that assumes that people will actually read the guide. I always do, but many people amazingly do not.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Just so I am clear, we are reading a troubleshooting guide regarding a problem, and then assuming that problem will exist on all Pres?

My guess is the solution given (hold the phone away from you face) is for the few people out there who have a tendancy to dail and the cram the phone against their head faster than the proximaty sensor can register. Holding the phone away from your face when you "put the phone aginst your ear" would allow the proximity sensor time to work. Problem solved.

Or we can all go back to assuming the Pre has a fatal flaw that will doom everyone to a miserable experience. Whatever.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I don't know...this could be a really big screw up by Palm.

Here is a review from the other day:
    Palm Pre Forum - Palm Pre Forum — Blog

This review seems to be legit as he mentions several things that have since been corroborated by the documents today (no OBEX support). Here is the disheartening part about the proximity sensory not working like it should (why have a proximity sensory if you don't use it to lock the screen when you put it to your ear?):

The screen - again, very impressive. Very sensitive to touch and I've had no problems getting it to respond to me. Gestures are very responsive and work well. The gesture area too, works great, as it always does what I want it to. Top notch. It doesn't lock on a phone call though, so get ready to hold it away from your ear.
    West3man-

I'm not sure how it could be a problem if the screen, and the "touch" part of it, is turned off when the phone is near (really, really near) your face. Are you going to try to sneak a finger between the phone and your face to activate a virtual button?
    Someone said the proximity sensor isn't the problem. S/he substantiated the point by showing that the sensor is simply meant to detect how close something is to the device.

I responded that the proximity sensor IS the problem if it is SUPPOSED to cause the touchscreen to deactivate (under certain conditions), but fails to do so.

Love that 3rd definition!
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    I think duanedude1 has it exactly right. The troubleshooting guide is probably for those people that may have "pointy" cheeks or touch the phone with their ear, etc. My guess is that the proximity sensor will work on the vast majority of people, but some people may occasionally have a problem, and Sprint is trying to address it in the guide.

Of course that assumes that people will actually read the guide. I always do, but many people amazingly do not.
    The guide should've said, in that case, that the sensor may not work with certain Picasso faces ( ) and that there's nothing they can do for such poor, unfortunate souls.

Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Just so I am clear, we are reading a troubleshooting guide regarding a problem, and then assuming that problem will exist on all Pres?

My guess is the solution given (hold the phone away from you face) is for the few people out there who have a tendancy to dail and the cram the phone against their head faster than the proximaty sensor can register. Holding the phone away from your face when you "put the phone aginst your ear" would allow the proximity sensor time to work. Problem solved.

Or we can all go back to assuming the Pre has a fatal flaw that will doom everyone to a miserable experience. Whatever.
    There's no Chicken Little here. No one's saying the sky is falling.

The quote doesn't seem like a troubleshooting item, to some of us. Maybe it was an incomplete quote or maybe it this guide was from an earlier version that has since been corrected or expanded upon.

Either way, it's a reasonable concern.
    I suspect this warning is just standard CYA boilerplate. The proximity sensor will turn off the screen, but maybe under some weird conditions there could be interference or something that fools it. So they put in some text telling you what to do if it doesn't work if you make a call from inside the magnet of an MRI scanner or something.

The manual is littered with warnings that really shouldn't be an issue. Like:

Before you use your phone to send or receive messages, check with
    Sprint for pricing and availability of email services and data rate plans.
    Sprint's only offering the Pre on Everything plans. Why would you need to check pricing and availability? It's just boilerplate that some staff lawyer felt more comfortable if they included.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Someone said the proximity sensor isn't the problem. S/he substantiated the point by showing that the sensor is simply meant to detect how close something is to the device.

I responded that the proximity sensor IS the problem if it is SUPPOSED to cause the touchscreen to deactivate (under certain conditions), but fails to do so.

Ah... it's the "but fails to do so" I missed!

Oh, and for the rest of 'ya...
    I loved the "Chicken Little" reference, and adored the "Picasso Faces" remark!!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I suspect this warning is just standard CYA boilerplate. The proximity sensor will turn off the screen, but maybe under some weird conditions there could be interference or something that fools it. So they put in some text telling you what to do if it doesn't work if you make a call from inside the magnet of an MRI scanner or something.

The manual is littered with warnings that really shouldn't be an issue. Like:

Sprint's only offering the Pre on Everything plans. Why would you need to check pricing and availability? It's just boilerplate that some staff lawyer felt more comfortable if they included.
    This has to be a unfinished guide that they haven't proof read clearly. There's a part that talks about how you can't do data and voice at the same time. So, no email, internet, or mms, but that you can still text if your on a long call. Then in another section it talks about how you can email if your on a long call.

The Picasso Faces remark actually had me laughing out loud, not the fake lol thing. I was just trying to imagine what kind of faces one would have to have for it not to work.
    It is correct that you can't use any data on a call, but you can still text. As for email (and probably MMS), I bet that you can draft compose and send, but they'll just be queued until the call is ended.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright

I thought the "failed" part was an implied condition from the original post. Sorry for the confusion, though.

I try.
    Last edited by west3man; 05/27/2009 at 12:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    that was rude and not even an accurate description of the concern that west3man has over the feature set of the Pre. I mean, why buy it if there are deal-breaker issues? That would be simply a waste of time, not to mention denying some other Pre purchaser a unit that MIGHT be in short supply. Better to be forewarned about issues with the Pre. After all, it isn't going to be perfect for everyone. No need to name call.
    Why does every single little thing have to be a deal breaker for you all? lol, It's like you all are so freakin critical over every single little thing.

When will you understand that there will never be a phone that does everything, ever. If there was, there would be only one cell phone that everyone would own, and no one would be making money off of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    It is correct that you can't use any data on a call, but you can still text. As for email (and probably MMS), I bet that you can draft compose and send, but they'll just be queued until the call is ended.
    That's probably what they meant. Here are the quotes and page numbers.

Page 92
    Use Another Application While on a Call
    You can use many other applications on your phone, including the organizer and text
    message features, while holding a phone conversation. You can use the Sprint network for
    only one activity at a time—phone or data—so you cannot use the Sprint network to browse
    the Web, check email, or exchange MMS messages during a call. To browse the Web or
    check email during a call, you must connect to a Wi-Fi network. See “Wi-Fi” on page 230

Page 94
    Look Up or Send a Message to a Contact
    When you’re on a call with a contact, tap the contact name to open the contact record. From
    there, you can tap an option to send the contact a text or an email message, and so on. This
    is a great way to communicate with someone if you’re on a long call.
    If you tap the number of someone who is not a contact, you can add the number to Contacts
    (see “Save a Phone Number to Contacts” on page 97).
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I just called my local Pre Advocate and he confirmed for me that the screen DOES turn off completely when you hold it to your face and comes back on when you take it away from your face. The user manual is either wrong or for rare instances where the proximity sensor doesn't work.

BTW, he also confirmed that the Friday evening pre-sale is now cancelled and he can't sell them until 8AM Saturday. Bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Why does every single little thing have to be a deal breaker for you all? lol, It's like you all are so freakin critical over every single little thing.

When will you understand that there will never be a phone that does everything, ever. If there was, there would be only one cell phone that everyone would own, and no one would be making money off of this.
    I'd like the phone to function, as a phone, while I'm holding it to my face. I'm not sure how that qualifies as "every single little thing."

Also, and I guess this can't be said enough around here, these days... There is an enormous difference between complaining that a device isn't PERFECT and simply having a discussion on topics of-interest.

We are here having a discussion, not raging against the machine. As much as I appreciate a reminder to keep things in perspective, I must return the favor.

We're all just talking here - and civilly at that.*

* - for the most part, anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    I don't know...this could be a really big screw up by Palm.

Here is a review from the other day:
    Palm Pre Forum - Palm Pre Forum — Blog

This review seems to be legit as he mentions several things that have since been corroborated by the documents today (no OBEX support). Here is the disheartening part about the proximity sensory not working like it should (why have a proximity sensory if you don't use it to lock the screen when you put it to your ear?):

Wow, that reviewer mentioned there is very little you can do to customize the phone, such as change font sizes, and other things I'd take for granted. The more I learn of the Pre, the more the only thing that sounds cool about it is the multitasking, and now I'll have to consider just how important is that, in light of missing basic functions like voice dialing. If I can't set a ringtone to specific contacts that's another blow. I hope there is a flashing indicator to indicate incoming calls, AND messages. If it doesn't alert me to messages with a nice tone and light, then someone else can have the Pre I was GOING to buy.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Wow, that reviewer mentioned there is very little you can do to customize the phone, such as change font sizes, and other things I'd take for granted. The more I learn of the Pre, the more the only thing that sounds cool about it is the multitasking, and now I'll have to consider just how important is that, in light of missing basic functions like voice dialing. If I can't set a ringtone to specific contacts that's another blow. I hope there is a flashing indicator to indicate incoming calls, AND messages. If it doesn't alert me to messages with a nice tone and light, then someone else can have the Pre I was GOING to buy.
    You can definitely set ringtones to specific contacts.

I don't believe there is a flashing indicator though, so you may want to look elsewhere...leaves more available for me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast