Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Nope your thinking of the old NICAD battery technology. Those liked to be fully cycled otherwise they would develop a memory.

For the last 5 years cell phone batteries need to be constantly topped off and plugged in as often as possible for max battery service life and max performance.
    Do u really think thats correct?... Im not doubting u, but I still feel that my batteries stay pretty robust by letting them discharge as much as possible & then charge it, and even when I charge, I like to trickle charge (charge it as slow as possible)...

I def. know people with the same phone as me, got it the same time & they constantly plug it in to charge, and they have less & less capacity compared to mine...

That is mostly the reason I don't believe that the Touchstone is that great, because u are constantly putting the Pre on & off, and maybe it will charge for 10 min, 5 min. hour, etc... and I cannot believe that it can be good for the battery...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    One feature I noticed which looks very nice is the ability to assign a reminder message to a contact. Then when you are next in contact with that person - by phone, email or chat - a reminder notification will appear.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Do u really think thats correct?... Im not doubting u, but I still feel that my batteries stay pretty robust by letting them discharge as much as possible & then charge it, and even when I charge, I like to trickle charge (charge it as slow as possible)...

I def. know people with the same phone as me, got it the same time & they constantly plug it in to charge, and they have less & less capacity compared to mine...

That is mostly the reason I don't believe that the Touchstone is that great, because u are constantly putting the Pre on & off, and maybe it will charge for 10 min, 5 min. hour, etc... and I cannot believe that it can be good for the battery...
    rc46 is correct. Lithium-ion batteries have better life if they are charged frequently and kept topped-off. See here.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    They might not be pre-installed on the phone but I'd expect applications from both within the first month in the app store.

Failing that, the browser should work suitably until then. Bookmarks.
    Maybe a dumb question, but what is the difference in, say, accessing Facebook in the "Sprint provided" app on the phone versus just going to the web and accessing it? I realize the Sprint-provided app is a watered down version, so I assume it would be a lot more speedy, but is that the only advantage to just accessing it using the Web app??
    Disappointed. This is a real deal breaker. I hope the next iPhone has something else for me to consider upgrading as my present one is almost at its last legs. No amount of bells and whisles can make one ignore what is fast becoming an essential business feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but what is the difference in, say, accessing Facebook in the "Sprint provided" app on the phone versus just going to the web and accessing it? I realize the Sprint-provided app is a watered down version, so I assume it would be a lot more speedy, but is that the only advantage to just accessing it using the Web app??
    Facebook has been discussed a bunch here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ther-info.html

and here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-facebook.html
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    the text messages from the app come much quicker than when you sign up on facebook to receive text messages.

and also, if you don't have time to respond, it should leave an icon letting you know you have a new notification from facebook.
    It isnt a matter of what people think, it is a matter of what is.

If you want to do the research into Lion or LiPo batteries you will see that what people are telling you is correct. If you dont, then just believe them.

Most of what people believe about technology is either anecdotal evidence based on a very limited sample size or magical thinking based on a lack of research. Things like battery life and reception are particularly susceptible to this thinking as they are relatively intangible.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    System Requirements:
    Windows XP Service Pack 2,
    Windows Vista (32-bit version only)
    MAC OsX

So that sucks. I guess it looks like I will not be able to connect my phone to my 64 bit computer.
    This is indeed, the worst news ever. What is it needed for, anyway? I'm on linux, 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamkins View Post
    What is it needed for, anyway? I'm on linux, 100%.
    It's needed so they can hang up if someone calls complaining that their custom gentoo install won't mount the mass storage device. It will work just fine, but they're only going to help you with issues mounting if you're on a supported OS.
    Ugh, apparently Sprint is also giving the limitation that you can't download Amazon MP3 through it's network. It says it queues them up for download when you're on Wifi.

I LOVE the way it handles software updates though.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Really interesting manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    It's needed so they can hang up if someone calls complaining that their custom gentoo install won't mount the mass storage device. It will work just fine, but they're only going to help you with issues mounting if you're on a supported OS.
    To me, this is as bad if not worse than AT&T not allowing Sling over 3G.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Anyone see anything in the manual about whether or not you can talk on the phone and go on the Internet at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Anyone see anything in the manual about whether or not you can talk on the phone and go on the Internet at the same time?
    Only over Wifi... which we've known for months.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hamkins View Post
    This is indeed, the worst news ever. What is it needed for, anyway? I'm on linux, 100%.
    So if I use Windows 2000 I can not use the Pre to move music and photos from my computer? Is this right?
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    In Document PalmPre Fact Sheet under System Requirements:
    - Windows XP Service Pack 2
    - Windows Vista (32-bit Version Only)
    - MAC OsX

I have Vista 64-bit System looks like I will not meet the system requirements. I not sure why there is a system requirements since this phone will not be connected to a PC because they do not support any local SYNC.
    Quote Originally Posted by resturg View Post
    In Document PalmPre Fact Sheet under System Requirements:
    - Windows XP Service Pack 2
    - Windows Vista (32-bit Version Only)
    - MAC OsX

I have Vista 64-bit System looks like I will not meet the system requirements. I not sure why there is a system requirements since this phone will not be connected to a PC because they do not support any local SYNC.

I hope Palm fixes this before Windows 7 ships. I expect a lot of people will upgrade to a 64-bit machine at that time.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Only over Wifi... which we've known for months.
    I think there has been a debate on this issue about whether you can do it while on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoodyDragon View Post
    Disappointed. This is a real deal breaker. I hope the next iPhone has something else for me to consider upgrading as my present one is almost at its last legs. No amount of bells and whisles can make one ignore what is fast becoming an essential business feature.
    there will be options at launch or a little after launch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast