Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    THE END! Why did they say, they were going demo something never seen before - what a waste of time !
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Not sure what a Gorbasm is but I'll take it as a compliment coming from such a class act.

edit: "The feeling that the American, and general western liberal elites in the media, politics and academia get when they contemplate all the actions of Mikhail Gorbachev--the man they credit with bringing peace to the world, mostly since they hate Ronald Reagan"

Ahh I get it. I'm one of those dreaded elites. OMG save us from the commies!!! Please save us Zombie Reagan!

Anyway this is waaaay off topic. Back to work...
    Neo - I agree were off topic, was just havin fun with ya - but hey at least we both agree on the Pre and thats why were here!!! OK back to the important stuff........P R E
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    damn... well that sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan7 View Post
    I have felt exactly the same way. Everyone around me uses iTunes and wonders why I don't. I use WinAmp and wonder why they don't.
    That is the key point right there, ALOT of people use itunes and KNOW how to use itunes. Most people outside of the tech world don't like change and especially don't want to learn new computer software in order for them to use their new phone. I don't personally have a bias for or against itunes, however I will admit that it is much easier to sync my already created playlists then it would be to sort through 200gb of music folders to drag and drop the music I want.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    To be fair, iTunes wasn't something we heard about until this morning.

And the only people that built it up to be something big were, well, it was us - the Pre community. We desperately wanted something huge, and it wouldn't have mattered how big it was, we wouldn't have been satisfied. iTunes integration is (for people outside the tech circles) a big deal.
    Agree. I don't blame Palm so much (though that depends on what they told Walt to get him to make the statement of some BIG news), but it doesn't change the feeling.

Palm has been relatively crappy in regards to hype, the community has done it, and this time it seems it fell flat. It may not be Palm's fault, but that doesn't change it. And in the end, it doesn't matter whose fault it is, if you have managed to possibly disappoint and remove some of the enthusiam of the tech geeks who are apparently you're only real source of advertising right now through word of mouth then you have to worry about it, fault or no.
    "Roger: This is really exciting, and fun. It's a cool product. If I were RIM or Apple, I wouldn't worry about it. In America you're not going to pay so much of a premium to get a smartphone that you can justify not getting one."

Thank you! If only everyone saw it that way. Competing devices serve different parts of the market. Not everything has to be some iPhone killer to be a legit device.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxla View Post
    THE END! Why did they say, they were going demo something never seen before - what a waste of time !
    When they made the statement, was it before the itunes story broke on the blogs? Everything is such a blur I can't remember. If it was, then technically they did not lie to us and that was their big news.

Agreed though it was a let down.
    Quoted from D7 Highlights | AllThingsD

What a wonderful curative the Palm Pre has proven to be for Palm. Especially for a device that’s not yet shipped. In early January of this year, the company’s shares were trading below $3, having been dragged deep into the mud by a string of nasty quarterly losses. Five months later, after the Pre’s announcement at CES, they’re trading at over $10.

And Jon Rubinstein and Roger McNamee are largely responsible for that. Rubinstein is an Apple (AAPL) veteran who’s now Palm’s (PALM) executive chairman. And McNamee, managing director of Elevation Partners, is the guy who recruited him for that position. Together, they’re remaking Palm in a bet-the-company move to recover its long-lost glory. Should be an interesting session.

•A couple pieces of Palm-related breaking news before we begin. Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam this morning said the company intends to sell the Pre about six months from now. Also, the Pre will reportedly sync with iTunes.
    •Session is prefaced by video of a faux-advertising shoot in which McNamee makes increasingly preposterous claims about the Palm Pre over Rubenstein’s protestations. It’s funny as hell and not all that far off from reality if you know the company’s recent history. McNamee, as you may recall, made some silly claims about the Pre’s prowess in a March interview with Bloomberg — so silly that Palm was forced to file a Free Writing Prospectus with the SEC refuting them. So to hear McNamee boast that the Pre is the only handset based on alien technology — well, I wouldn’t be surprised to read that in Bloomberg tomorrow.
    •While the audience is still chuckling, Walt and Kara welcome Rubinstein and McNamee to the stage.
    •Walt kicks things off noting Palm’s history of developing breakthrough devices, and asking how the company’s doing now. McNamee and Rubenstein says Palm took the cultural legacy that created the Palm and the Treo and applied it to the smartphone. “Palm is a new company today,” says Rubenstein.
    •Walt asks McNamee about his claim that all iPhone owners with expiring contracts will switch to the Pre. At what time will that happen? McNamee: 4:25 PM.
    •What’s the depth of Elevation’s involvement in Palm. Pretty deep. McNamee says the because the opportunity at the company is so huge he spends a lot of time on it. He notes that leaders in the smartphone market leader — Palm and RIM — each have very small market share. That means there’s a great opportunity for Palm to join them.
    •Kara asks how Rubenstein came to Palm. He says it was a compelling idea to take something that needed to be turned around and rebuild it. “It’s so rare to be able to start with a blank sheet of paper and start over. And we were given a blank sheet of paper with the device and the OS.”
    •What lessons from Apple has Rubenstein brought to bear on his new work at Palm? “I worked with Steve for many years and learned a tremendous amount from him, the value of user experience and design — taste. I also learned the idea of great marketing. … On the engineering side, I helped created the engineering culture at Apple so obviously, the engineering culture at Palm bears some similarities to it.”
    •On to the demo. Discussing the idea of synergy — managing information across applications and multitasking. Multiple apps can be run at the same time. Not an infinite number, Walt notes, nut quite a few.
    •On to media. MP3 player includes onboard support for Amazon’s MP3 Store. Files are downloaded directly over the air to the device. Very slick.
    •Plug the Pre into a PC and you’re offered the option of using the device as a USB drive, charging it or beginning a “media sync.” Interesting, using media sync the Pre does indeed sync with iTunes, though it’s hamstrung by Apple’s DRM protected songs. Can’t imagine Apple’s too happy about that. Presumably, Apple legal is already drafting a letter. Pre appears to make iTunes think it’s an iPod.
    •How is Apple going to feel about that, asks Walt. Rubenstein dodges a bit noting that there are a variety of ways of getting music out of iTunes. Walt pushes back pointing out that this is the first non-Apple device that is recognized as an Apple device by a Mac. Rubenstein dodges again. McNamee jumps in, refers to Apple as a monopolist and says people should be able to use music that they purchase in what ever way they see fit.
    •Media sync feature also works with iPhoto and syncs photos to the Pre. That’s not likely to go over well at Apple either.
    •Moving on now to WebOS, Palm’s new operating system. Key feature is the Web App Catalog, Palm’s analog to Apple’s App store. Palm will have just a dozen or so apps in the store when the Pre launches next week. Kara jokes that Palm should simply port all the apps in the Apple’s App Store over to its own store.
    •Demoing a download of Fandango. Tap to download. App is downloaded over the air. Apps do not sync with iTunes, they’re stored on the device.
    •Fandango on the Pre looks and works pretty much like it does on the iPhone and the BlackBerry. It does have an interesting additional feature or two. A simple gesture adds a movie time to the calendar. Tap the screen and the Pre’s calendar ingests info from Fandango. Pretty elegant integration with the Pre’s core applications.
    •Moving on to universal search. Very slick and something the iPhone clacks. Search for D7 on the Pre device yields no results, but the user is offered the option of searching Google, Twitter etc for the same query. Twitter search reveals the following Tweet about iTunes syncing: “Apple may not like this, but it’s damn cool.” Indeed.
    •McNamee says the model here is “When in doubt just type.” Simple. Elegant.
    •After the demo ends, Walt asks about Palm’s competitors. Clearly Apple and RIM, says Rubenstein. He adds that the battle that’s going to be fought is not about hardware, but software. McNamee interrupts to say the opportunity here is to persuade people to move from the “feature phone” to the integrated device. Apparently, the iPhone is a feature phone and the Pre is the integrated device here. McNamee going on and on about the Pre’s design. Feels great in the hand. The Pre has a mirror. “Never before has a device like this been designed for a woman.” Nice, Roger. Kara says she’s looking forward to the day when the Pre comes with a blow dryer.
    •Walt asks about the Pre’s keyboard, Rubenstein says that there are a lot of people who want keyboards. Applause from the audience. That said, the iPhone’s lack of a keyboard clearly hasn’t hurt it in the market.
    •More talk about McNamee’s women-like-mirrors comment. McNamee says device makers typically do not target the female audience. They traditionally target a male, testosterone-driven audience. McNamee seems to think the Pre will appeal to a wider audience –one with a larger female contingent than the iPhone and BlackBerry. McNamee appealing to audience to confirm its love of mirrors …
    •How do you woo developers away from the iPhone. Rubenstein says Palm doesn’t need to. It’s easy to develop for the Pre. “We have a great SDK.” Walt notes that the SDK hasn’t been widely distributed yet and the Pre is just days away from launch. Rubenstein says this was purposeful. “We’re doing this methodically.” There are hundreds of developers with the SDK right now, and thousands in the queue waiting for it. Why? McNamee jumps in again and says the company wants to get it right, but seems to suggest that the SDK may not be quite as polished as Palm would like.
    •When the Pre debuts will there be a shortage? Walt citing varying rumors about how many handsets will be available intially. Rubenstein says the company is in full production now, it’s shipping devices every day to Sprint. That said, he expects there may be shortages due to high demand.
    •On to the Q&A: When will there be a GSM version. Palm expects to have one at some point in the future. What about the Verizon deal, asks Walt, noting this morning’s Verizon story this morning. Rubenstein says he can’t comment, but reveals that BellMo will distribute the Pre in Canada.
    •Does the Pre support remote wipe and address lookup? Yes. McNamee: “As a generalization everything you’re used to in an iPhone will be in the Pre as well. And if it’s not there initially it will be there soon.
    •Does Palm worry that Apple might break the Pre’s iTunes sync feature? McNamee doesn’t seem to think so. “We’re recognizing their market dominance …. and they can’t tell people what to do with their music.
    •McNamee on his investment in Palm and the Pre: If I could have put everything into it, I would have.
    •End of Q&A

So was the wait worth it?
    Its strange when I am the most positive one around here. I thought it was a good announcement.
    I was hoping the surprise would have been that the keyboard would rotate under the screen in landscape mode. Oh well ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Highlight of the Show WOZ fell asleep hahaha
    Well that was a buzzkill.
    I don't really see anything special. I am happy Itunes syncs as I use that for most of my music management on my computers but that isn't a huge deal for me. And Pre coming to VZN and AT&T later is huge. Yes that will mean more support for the pre but nothing super special that would make me want the PRE anymore than I already do.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381 View Post
    That is the key point right there, ALOT of people use itunes and KNOW how to use itunes. Most people outside of the tech world don't like change and especially don't want to learn new computer software in order for them to use their new phone. I don't personally have a bias for or against itunes, however I will admit that it is much easier to sync my already created playlists then it would be to sort through 200gb of music folders to drag and drop the music I want.
    The more I think about it, the more I realize the iTunes announcement is a big deal. Like Derek said, we only heard about the iTunes integration today. However, since I've absolutely productionless today from refreshing every website/blog/forum I could hit trying to find new news, it feels like old news. I do think this will definitely broaden the appeal of the Pre.

The only question that remains is will Apple truly kill this, either through litigation or a software "upgrade" in iTunes?
    disappointed
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxla View Post
    They demoed Pre syncing with iTunes. That was never seen before. Maybe not huge news, but still a very good feature of the Pre. Looks like cover art was synced as well. Keep in mind -- no other phone except the iPhone syncs with iTunes.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    so what was it? itunes????????????????????? i don't even use itunes!!!! i don't even own music..............
    I feel like going out and pimp smacking someone after watching that BS.
    Why do people think Apple is going to sue Palm for iTunes integration?

iTunes has open API's....they open them to encourage developers to work with it.

They can't kill what they made public.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Its strange when I am the most positive one around here. I thought it was a good announcement.
    Haha, I agree. It is strange when you're the positive one.

I wouldn't be slightly disappointed if Mossberg didn't say anything, but he's trying to get people to to pay attention to his gig so I'm not surprised.