1.    #1  
    I have not found a great review of the Pre from a major source that has actually been given a Pre by Palm or Sprint. Most of the ones I have found are based on the emulator or a few brief minutes with the Pre. Am I missing the reviews or have media outlets not been given demo models yet?
    That won't happen until next week. I remember watching the review of the first iPhone from Walt Mossberg...he got the iPhone 2 weeks prior to launch and the review came out 2 days before the phone did.
    Most major sites that have had access to the PRE are probably from advocates and not their own review units. Therefore, those blog sites probably don't want to run anything that resembles a review because it will possibly put a strain on their relationship with Palm and risk their chances of getting their own unit for review.

And while Tops might have had extensive access, I am sure the Palm Fan Boy that he is (and under strict NDA) he won't spill the beans until Palm gives the green light.
    I'm pretty sure that the people who have the review units have to sign a NDA which prohibits them from sharing anything until after the Palm Pre is released.
  5. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    From the Fortune article posted on the home page

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Lashinsky, Fortune Magazine

[...]The Pre clearly offers features that neither the iPhone nor RIM's BlackBerry does. Palm, however, wouldn't make a review copy of the phone available to Fortune - typically a sign that not all glitches have been worked out[...]"
    Maybe they're having some last minute issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    From the Fortune article posted on the home page

Maybe they're having some last minute issues?
    That article was simply asking a question. The answer to that question is "no."

How could they pick one company to review the phone and leave many others in the dust? Seems they have provided to many and put them under nda until a couple of days before the release or the day of the release (if you go by what what people have generally seen here).

Of course, the pre will have some issue crop up though... I'm not so blind as to think this launch will go off without a hitch... there will be something people won't like...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    That article was simply asking a question. The answer to that question is "no."
    Let's be realistic here. Your response is speculation as much as their statement is.

Unless you have information to substantiate what you're saying...
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    That won't happen until next week. I remember watching the review of the first iPhone from Walt Mossberg...he got the iPhone 2 weeks prior to launch and the review came out 2 days before the phone did.
    So Thursday morning should be Mossberg's review? I recall that the technology reviews go out via WSJ emails at about 1 or 2 am.

And also the USA Today reviewer is pretty good as well (forgot his name)..

Here's hoping for at worst 3 1/2 star ratings.
    I will be shocked if the Pre receives stellar ratings now that the iphone 3rd gen is around the corner.

Had the iphone never existed, the Pre would be getting the 'we've seen the next revolution in cell phones' type of talk. But the Pre does not exist in a vacuum like the iphone did when it was first released. What reviewer would not include the line "if you can wait a week, see what the iphone has in store before you make up your mind" somewhere in his review?

I think that the majority of the reviews could be summarized as "a solid alternative to the iphone". That's not a problem if Palm wants to be a financially solvent company. Problem is, they say that their goal is to leapfrog the iphone. Any type of phrasing such as "it's a legitimate alternative" already implies that it's not as good as the iphone or that it's derivative. So many folks might as well get the real thing. I think that reviewers have to say "iPhone, move over" or "the Pre is absolutely better than the iPhone" or "the best smartphone is no longer made by Apple" in order for the Pre to be a homerun. I do not see that happening.

The glass half-full approach is that I remember the iphone reviews were more or less like "i liked it alot more than i thought i would" and the "lack of a keyboard wasn't a dealbreaker" and similar backhanded compliments. Yet the iphone sold like crazy. So despite lukewarm reviews, the Pre might still have a chance. Positive reviews aren't everything, but it would sure be nice and more comforting if these early reviews were absolutely glowing and dazzling.
    The reviews are being held until Thursday or Friday when the reviewers will be free to publish them. It is the condition the reviewers signed up for when they got their demo units.

Making reviewers hold off until the product is available is pretty common. The review acts as advertising so you want the product to be available when someone reads the review. Think movie reviews. They always come out when the movie appears in theatres. Not days before. So have some patience. The reviews are coming.
    Uh, I thought I read somewhere that the NDA will be lifted on June 4? So Thursday I would assume we should start to see reviews.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    The reviews are being held until Thursday or Friday when the reviewers will be free to publish them. It is the condition the reviewers signed up for when they got their demo units.

Making reviewers hold off until the product is available is pretty common. The review acts as advertising so you want the product to be available when someone reads the review. Think movie reviews. They always come out when the movie appears in theatres. Not days before. So have some patience. The reviews are coming.
    thats actually incorrect, most reviews movies/phone etc come out days before, not after
    The review should be out a day or two before release, similar to the iPhone. It's a lame strategy, but it happens and isn't always a sign of bad glitches. I hope there aren't any!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    thats actually incorrect, most reviews movies/phone etc come out days before, not after
    Actually, you're incorrect when it comes to frequently published media (e.g. dailies, the Web). Movie reviewers are often under embargo from studios until the day before or day of a film's release especially when studios are trying to control buzz of an expensive blockbuster - much like Palm is doing.

Monthlies are a different animal, but they're going the way of the dinosaur anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I remember that, and you're right. Funny thing was, his review was still so godawful that it was a huge letdown that he even got to review it.

I think just about anyone on these forums could have done a better job, especially if we had it for two weeks.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Very, very insightful, Puff.

Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    I will be shocked if the Pre receives stellar ratings now that the iphone 3rd gen is around the corner.

Had the iphone never existed, the Pre would be getting the 'we've seen the next revolution in cell phones' type of talk. But the Pre does not exist in a vacuum like the iphone did when it was first released. What reviewer would not include the line "if you can wait a week, see what the iphone has in store before you make up your mind" somewhere in his review?

I think that the majority of the reviews could be summarized as "a solid alternative to the iphone". That's not a problem if Palm wants to be a financially solvent company. Problem is, they say that their goal is to leapfrog the iphone. Any type of phrasing such as "it's a legitimate alternative" already implies that it's not as good as the iphone or that it's derivative. So many folks might as well get the real thing. I think that reviewers have to say "iPhone, move over" or "the Pre is absolutely better than the iPhone" or "the best smartphone is no longer made by Apple" in order for the Pre to be a homerun. I do not see that happening.

The glass half-full approach is that I remember the iphone reviews were more or less like "i liked it alot more than i thought i would" and the "lack of a keyboard wasn't a dealbreaker" and similar backhanded compliments. Yet the iphone sold like crazy. So despite lukewarm reviews, the Pre might still have a chance. Positive reviews aren't everything, but it would sure be nice and more comforting if these early reviews were absolutely glowing and dazzling.
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Positive reviews aren't everything, but it would sure be nice and more comforting if these early reviews were absolutely glowing and dazzling.
    Based on some of the previews, there is a good chance that this will happen.