Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So did Palm outrightly lie about plans to launch the GSM version of the Pre at the same time as the CDMA US/Sprint version? They did state several times that the GSM version will be available at the same time as the US release, ie. the first half of 2009. But it is very obvious by now that Palm has no such plans. Palm continues to make the mistake of ignoring the much larger, worldwide GSM market. Someone at Palm really needs a lesson in marketing and also needs to get a better understanding of the worldwide cellphone market. Until and unless Palm starts focussing on markets outside the US, they can never hope to truelly compete with the Blackberry or the iPhone or for that matter even the so called smartphones form the likes of Nokia, Samsung & LG.
    Seriously, what are you smoking? Have you not read that O2 is going to be the vendor of choice in Europe and it will be announced soon?
    o2 is the rumour - thats what I have read being in the UK. they also have exclusive rights to the Iphone so not sure what to make of their marketing strategy.

But they have stated a Q4 launch.
    I don't think they intentionally lied. They certainly gave out inaccurate information.

Your right, 80% of cell users are GSM. It's a big market they are missing right now.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Being in the US and on Sprint, I haven't followed the talk about GSM outside the US all that faithfully. But I don't remember EVER hearing that it would be released at the same time. In fact, what I remember is that it was coming, but later.

Again, I could be wrong, but I don't remember any statement about a simultaneous launch. These guys are resource strapped. Launching worldwide all at once would be very hard to pull off.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    But I don't remember EVER hearing that it would be released at the same time. In fact, what I remember is that it was coming, but later.
    Thats what I have heard and read as well.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Sorry Sanjay, but you're wrong. It's always been mentioned that CDMA would be first, with GSM "soon to follow".

And seriously -do you really think that whatever timeline they've set out for the GSM, if missed, would spell disaster for the GSM Pre? I can think of a number of things that can affect the GSM launch.

Missing a deadline is not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Being in the US and on Sprint, I haven't followed the talk about GSM outside the US all that faithfully. But I don't remember EVER hearing that it would be released at the same time. In fact, what I remember is that it was coming, but later.

That's what I remember too. Q3, I think...?

At any rate, it definitely wasn't going to be a simultaneous release.

"I wish my lawn were goth, so it would cut itself." -unknown
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I heard second half of '09?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman109 View Post
    That's what I remember too. Q3, I think...?

At any rate, it definitely wasn't going to be a simultaneous release.
    Didn't they say followed by a simultaneous worldwide launch? or something like that? I can't remember for sure. If they did that may be where the confusing comes in.

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Seriously, what are you smoking? Have you not read that O2 is going to be the vendor of choice in Europe and it will be announced soon?
    First of all that is for now just a rumor that even 'O2' refused to comment on. Secondly and more importantly the rumor states the earliest release timeframe to be around Christmas. That would be only what, 6 months after a US release.

PS: Just for the record, China and India are respectively number 1 & 2 largest cellphone markets and Asia is by far the largest market in the world. Palm in it's infinite wisdom has historically always neglected these markets. I can understand this strategy way back in Palm's hey days when the Asian markets, specially China and India were barely in their infancy. But the dynamics of the worldwide cellphone market today are totally different from back then and unfortunately for Palm they fail to realize this. For the record, Palm does not even have an official presence in India, which happens to be the the world's 2nd largest and also the fastest growing cellphone market. The Treo is almost unheard of by the vast majority here while the Blackberry and Apple's iPhone are all over the place.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/26/2009 at 01:52 PM.
    It's comming ... all we have are dsate rumors, but we have seen the GSM verison in pics / video. it's just a matter of time
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  13.    #13  
    Since it is the GSM version that is of interest to me, I have right from day one followed all news and comments regarding a GSM release very carefully and I am certain that Palm had stated that the GSM version will be launched around the same time as the US CDMA launch, ie. in the first half of 2009.
    Even if Sprint DID say that GSM version would be launched at the same time as CDMA, it was so long that NO ONE remembers it. For the longest time now they have stuck to the line that it will come out shortly after Sprint version.

If you follow Pre reports, then you should know that Palm simply can't manufacture enough Pre phones (whether it's financial issues or component shortages is an open question). Reports from way back had said that and it's pretty much confirmed based on what we are hearing right now about launch availability.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Thats what I have heard and read as well.
    Define "That"

I've never heard any solid dates about a GSM Pre. And I've been listening for that type of thing. It would be a big deal.

So I'm wondering what Sanjay is referring to. Can you post links to these official announcements?
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Since it is the GSM version that is of interest to me, I have right from day one followed all news and comments regarding a GSM release very carefully and I am certain that Palm had stated that the GSM version will be launched around the same time as the US CDMA launch, ie. in the first half of 2009.
    I dont recall ever said this. They have said the GSM would follow. Can you site the source?
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    This comment by Palm CEO at CES was widely distributed at the time:

"palm ceo ed colligan said a gsm version of the pre would be available for european countries in the same time frame as the us."

Gadgets on the Go: Palm Pre coming to Europe around the same time as US

"during the first half of this year, the same time frame as for the U.S., Palm CEO Ed Colligan said in a brief interview"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15676..._says_ceo.html
    Last edited by ttcoupe; 05/26/2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added another link.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    This comment by Palm CEO at CES was widely distributed at the time:

"palm ceo ed colligan said a gsm version of the pre would be available for european countries in the same time frame as the us."

Gadgets on the Go: Palm Pre coming to Europe around the same time as US

"during the first half of this year, the same time frame as for the U.S., Palm CEO Ed Colligan said in a brief interview"

Palm's Pre Is Coming to Europe, Says CEO - PC World
    Thanks for finding that!

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    PS: Just for the record, China and India are respectively number 1 & 2 largest cellphone markets and Asia is by far the largest market in the world. Palm in it's infinite wisdom has historically always neglected these markets. I can understand this strategy way back in Palm's hey days when the Asian markets, specially China and India were barely in their infancy. But the dynamics of the worldwide cellphone market today are totally different from back then and unfortunately for Palm they fail to realize this. For the record, Palm does not even have an official presence in India, which happens to be the the world's 2nd largest and also the fastest growing cellphone market. The Treo is almost unheard of by the vast majority here while the Blackberry and Apple's iPhone are all over the place.
    India's nominal per capita income is US$977 (wikipedia, India's entry). Which of their citizens do you envision spending 3 months' income to buy a Palm smartphone? India is a land of cheap Nokia candy bars that are manufactured by the hundreds of millions each year. Palm, like any ~luxury item company, goes where the money is.

And regarding your main rant, Palm has always said a GSM phone was coming in the second half of 09, just like they said the CDMA phone was coming in the first half of 09. Either you are really confused or you have an agenda to push here.
    First of all that is for now just a rumor that even 'O2' refused to comment on. Secondly and more importantly the rumor states the earliest release timeframe to be around Christmas. That would be only what, 6 months after a US release.

But one could also say that neither RIM nor Apple rolled out their newest phones in either market simultanously with the US either. I am sure in Plam's "infinite wisdom" they will get to these markets as fast as they can because I am sure they also understand the market is different now from when it was the last time they had a hit. And besides, Palm is now full of ex-Apple guys and they are definitely smart, right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast