Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Sorry Sanjay, but you're wrong. It's always been mentioned that CDMA would be first, with GSM "soon to follow".

And seriously -do you really think that whatever timeline they've set out for the GSM, if missed, would spell disaster for the GSM Pre? I can think of a number of things that can affect the GSM launch.

Missing a deadline is not one of them.
    You must have missed the upcoming list of GSM smartphones. Would you buy what's coming out for sure, or wait for some vague release date?

Palm and Sprint got away with that for CDMA since the US market is limited. BUT GSM IS A DIFFERENT SITUATION.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Since it is the GSM version that is of interest to me, I have right from day one followed all news and comments regarding a GSM release very carefully and I am certain that Palm had stated that the GSM version will be launched around the same time as the US CDMA launch, ie. in the first half of 2009.
    Then it should be pretty easy to provide some reference. You know, something to back up this "outright lie" of which you're speaking. Since "they did state several times that the GSM version will be available at the same time as the US release, ie. the first half of 2009" it should be pretty easy to show us where...

However, I really think that in your excitement, you read something into what they were really saying...
    Didn't someone else post the link where the CEO said so?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Easy - just google "palm pre europe". It's the first link.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    India's nominal per capita income is US$977 (wikipedia, India's entry). Which of their citizens do you envision spending 3 months' income to buy a Palm smartphone? India is a land of cheap Nokia candy bars that are manufactured by the hundreds of millions each year. Palm, like any ~luxury item company, goes where the money is.

And regarding your main rant, Palm has always said a GSM phone was coming in the second half of 09, just like they said the CDMA phone was coming in the first half of 09. Either you are really confused or you have an agenda to push here.
    Yes, but "averages" are usually misleading.

Sure, the 'average' income is low, but the serious expansion of middle-class and upper-class incomes has made a smartphone like Palm Treo/Pre within the reach of millions of Indians.

Heck, last I heard the iphone was officially launched and selling in India at a price of US$700.

Surely, if iphones and Blackberries sell in India, there's a place for Palm too?

I am betting that out of the nearly 1.2 Billion people in that market, at least 50 Million can afford a Palm Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Easy - just google "palm pre europe". It's the first link.
    "The Pre will indeed be available in H2 [2nd half] within the UK and selected European markets", Paul Ghent, vice president of sales for Palm Europe told Pocket-lint.
    Source: pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/20353/palm-pre-confirmed-uk-release.phtml

I can't post links so just copy and paste the above URL.
    Palm will lose a lot of sales if it does not bring out a GSM Pre very soon and if estimates that it will be about 4/5 months post Sprint Launch in June then how many people will just go and buy the Iphone without a seconds thought.

I have shown a few friends the new Palm Pre and they like it but waiting for 4/5 months is too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    Source: pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/20353/palm-pre-confirmed-uk-release.phtml

I can't post links so just copy and paste the above URL.
    This is what it says:

The Pre will indeed be available in H2 [2nd half] within the UK and selected European markets", Paul Ghent, vice president of sales for Palm Europe told Pocket-lint.
    2nd half = July-December.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    The Ghent quote from Pocket-Lint dates from a 9 January 2009 5:11 GMT article in Pocket-Lint. So apparently while Ghent was giving PocketLint the skinny, Palm CEO Ed Colligan was working the floor of the CES as well:

The new Palm Pre will go on sale in European countries during the first half of this year, the same time frame as for the U.S., Palm CEO Ed Colligan said in a brief interview.
    PC World article (11:30 am) The article is dated Jan 9th as well, but 11:30 am in whatever time zone PC World publishes in.

However, in the afternoon, Ed was supposedly saying:
    Non-U.S. markets: The big opportunity is not in other CDMA markets, but in UMTS markets; he says they will have a UMTS version, which is on the same development cycle as the CDMA version. The CDMA version will launch first, but the other version will follow soon after. He says the Pre will launch in markets outside the U.S. before the end of the year.
    Barron's article (7:12 pm)

There's apparently a video from an interview with Fox News out there as well; I'm not sure if the above articles had their own face time with Ed, or if they're simply referring to this.

Did Paul and Ed catch up with each other over lunch?

Update: I found Foxnews' article with links to their video interview. The video has no mention of European release dates, but they DO refer to the US launch in their article:
    The Pre will be available in the second half of the year, exclusively on Sprint Nextel Corp.'s wireless network. Palm did not disclose the price.
    FoxNews 12 Jan article

FoxNews is technically right, I suppose, as they are commenting only about availability, not the launch. If they said it'd be available in early 2035 (on eBay for example) they'd be correct too.

Damn journalists.
    Last edited by Goyena; 05/27/2009 at 06:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    India's nominal per capita income is US$977 (wikipedia, India's entry). Which of their citizens do you envision spending 3 months' income to buy a Palm smartphone?
    Woah.... India's population total 1.1 billion, whats that 4 x the size of the USA. You don't think they got a couple of people wealthy enough to buy a Pre? :-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

So because Palm hasn't launched the Pre on GSM (first) or at the same time as Sprint, it spells doom for them or they have reneged on some promise they made? Hasn't Palm been doomed for years now since the last time it was doomed...

China and India might be more than 2 billion strong combined but it doesn't mean they aren't financial and logistical nightmares for a small guy like Palm. Just imagine the distribution channels alone. Keep in mind Palm is not Nokia that spits out a new phone (or the same thing with a different number) every second worldwide. Plus there's been stories about how Palm and Foxconn are having trouble manufacturing enough for a U.S launch.

I was always under the impression that the U.S launch was 1H 09 and GSM was to follow in 2H 09. Every person on GSM i know who is following the Pre has this same expectation based on all the coverage since it was announced.

Plus wouldn't it be better for the GSM folks to want to wait to see how the CDMA version pans out with the faithful, that way any problems that arise are well known and so forth...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    So because Palm hasn't launched the Pre on GSM (first) or at the same time as Sprint, it spells doom for them or they have reneged on some promise they made? Hasn't Palm been doomed for years now since the last time it was doomed...

China and India might be more than 2 billion strong combined but it doesn't mean they aren't financial and logistical nightmares for a small guy like Palm. Just imagine the distribution channels alone. Keep in mind Palm is not Nokia that spits out a new phone (or the same thing with a different number) every second worldwide. Plus there's been stories about how Palm and Foxconn are having trouble manufacturing enough for a U.S launch.

I was always under the impression that the U.S launch was 1H 09 and GSM was to follow in 2H 09. Every person on GSM i know who is following the Pre has this same expectation based on all the coverage since it was announced.

Plus wouldn't it be better for the GSM folks to want to wait to see how the CDMA version pans out with the faithful, that way any problems that arise are well known and so forth...
    Apparently yes, Palm is doomed for the 10,463rd time because they're being quiet about the GSM version and something about iPhone.

How could Palm launch a GSM verison worldwide if they cannot fill the demand for the CDMA version in the US alone?
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Apparently yes, Palm is doomed for the 10,463rd time because they're being quiet about the GSM version and something about iPhone.

My thoughts exactly...mate.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jcydon View Post
    How could Palm launch a GSM verison worldwide if they cannot fill the demand for the CDMA version in the US alone?
    Quit asking such logical questions only joking!

I think they could with the right financing and manufacturer. I am still confused about them using Foxconn. I thought they were basically just a small PC builder.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

They will sell less GSM Pres the longer they take. GSM phones are being released more often and there's a wider selection. The faster you get yours out and make a splash, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Quit asking such logical questions only joking!

I think they could with the right financing and manufacturer. I am still confused about them using Foxconn. I thought they were basically just a small PC builder.
    I thought Chi Mei does the manufacturing?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12