1.    #1  
    I sincerely apologize if this has been discussed however I did a search and didn't find anything. Does anyone have a video or a simple explanation of what the cloud is? Thanks
    Its the internet.
    Yup. Just replace the word "cloud" with "the internet" whenever you see it and you'll be good
    ^ What they said.

Usually it refers to using a service located elsewhere to sync and store your data. Think of how gmail stores your email on a server so that you can connect to it from any computer. The "cloud" term is just a general buzzword for remote services since there are lot more of them coming out and they are more robust than a few years ago. Things that used to be done locally are often now done via web- or internet-based services.
  5.    #5  
    WOAH! And all this time I thought it was some complex warp zone like in Super Mario Bros LOL

Seriously, that's all it is??? Internet?
    It refers to internet-based services. The example here is with contacts. In the past, you had a smartphone and synced it to Palm Desktop or Outlook or whatever and if you wanted to re-sync, you had to go back to that computer and do a sync.

Nowadays with Exchange, I change something on my WM phone and those changes are automatically synced to "the cloud" (i.e. the Exchange server in this case) and pushed to my other machines when they connect. Likewise, when I add an appointment to Outlook on my laptop, my phone's calendar is updated, keeping things synced via a remote service.

This is a lot easier than hooking up a cable or a dock every time I need to sync up with my Palm or WM phone and one goal of the Palm Pre is to leverage multiple online services to keep your phone connected and up to date.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ^ Yes that is really all it is. Although I mean the internet is complex in how it works though, but ya think of it as a giant bag (or cloud) that has all sorts of stuff in it like music, photos, sounds, text etc. and you can grab the stuff inside from any device that can connect to the internet (or cloud).
  8.    #8  
    neo, whenever I have issues I know who I will be going to for support LOL. Thanks man you made it crystal clear and I appreciate the extra effort you put forth! Hope you enjoy your pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by preman2be913 View Post
    Hope you enjoy your pre!
    No problem, man. I have time to kill at work while videos are exporting from Final Cut.

I might not even get one off the bat because I will be at the beach that weekend. If they sell out I might have to wait a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    It refers to internet-based services. The example here is with contacts. In the past, you had a smartphone and synced it to Palm Desktop or Outlook or whatever and if you wanted to re-sync, you had to go back to that computer and do a sync.

Nowadays with Exchange, I change something on my WM phone and those changes are automatically synced to "the cloud" (i.e. the Exchange server in this case) and pushed to my other machines when they connect. Likewise, when I add an appointment to Outlook on my laptop, my phone's calendar is updated, keeping things synced via a remote service.

This is a lot easier than hooking up a cable or a dock every time I need to sync up with my Palm or WM phone and one goal of the Palm Pre is to leverage multiple online services to keep your phone connected and up to date.

This all sounds good. How would a novice go about setting this up on the their phone and laptop (macbook)? Any online tutorials? I have never backed up my contacts in my Treo 700 and sprint always warn me to do so. Just never looked into it. Would this solve that problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by CJDynasty View Post
    This all sounds good. How would a novice go about setting this up on the their phone and laptop (macbook)? Any online tutorials? I have never backed up my contacts in my Treo 700 and sprint always warn me to do so. Just never looked into it. Would this solve that problem?
    Supposely, Palm will have a web-based way to assist you in getting your data on the cloud when you buy the Pre.
    It really depends on your devices. I currently use a Windows Mobile phone and Microsoft Exchange so they are very compatible and easy to set up. When you start mixing in products and services by various brands it gets dodgier.

Out of curiosity, what:

Mobile OS does your Treo have (Win Mobile or Palm OS)?
    Email provider do you use?

I can't really help with the Mac stuff as I tend to avoid them outside of Final Cut work. You just need to find out how to get your device of choice to connect to your service of choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Supposely, Palm will have a web-based way to assist you in getting your data on the cloud when you buy the Pre.
    If anything, it's probably more a matter of pulling your data *from* the cloud. Your contacts and appointments are likely scattered around on gmail, outlook, facebook, yahoo, etc. and you need to get them all on your Pre. When you connect, it should ask for your email etc. settings and log in to pull your info. Then when you add things to your Pre, they can be synced up with remote services.

And yeah, Palm may very well be providing an online backup of all this info too. They haven't said one way or another but it's a good guess as to what the Palm Profile may entail.
    It really depends on your devices. I currently use a Windows Mobile phone and Microsoft Exchange so they are very compatible and easy to set up. When you start mixing in products and services by various brands it gets dodgier.

Out of curiosity, what:

Mobile OS does your Treo have (Win Mobile or Palm OS)?
    Email provider do you use?

I can't really help with the Mac stuff as I tend to avoid them outside of Final Cut work. You just need to find out how to get your device of choice to connect to your service of choice.
    Thanks for the response. I am using the WinMo version. And I toggle between gmail, AOL, and my school lotus notes accounts for email.
    Thanks for the response. I am using the WinMo version. And I toggle between gmail, AOL, and my school lotus notes accounts for email.
    Is that Windows Mobile 5 or 6? I know you can sync WM6 up with Gmail but if you just want your contacts on your Macbook I believe you want to look into "The Missing Sync".

Sync Windows Mobile to Mac Software - The Missing Sync
    If anything, it's probably more a matter of pulling your data *from* the cloud. Your contacts and appointments are likely scattered around on gmail, outlook, facebook, yahoo, etc. and you need to get them all on your Pre. When you connect, it should ask for your email etc. settings and log in to pull your info. Then when you add things to your Pre, they can be synced up with remote services.

And yeah, Palm may very well be providing an online backup of all this info too. They haven't said one way or another but it's a good guess as to what the Palm Profile may entail.
    From http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1599119:

How can I transfer data from my computer?

On your computer, check the email address you used to configure your Palm Profile. Something [I think it is "Click"] the link in the email message to verify your Palm Profile. The link will take you to a web site where you can transfer your data to your phone from organizers like Palm Desktop & Outlook. You can only do this once. This transfer is the way to move your data from your old Palm smartphone onto your new phone.