1.    #1  
    We've heard that WebOS uses gstreamer to provide its media capabilities, and they've given us a very limited list of supported codecs for audio/video. I'm curious if this is a real limitation or if we might be able to add additional codecs. Certainly gstreamer supports ogg, flac, etc that a lot of folks would like to see, though I can imagine they might have chosen to limit the set of plugins to save flash space on the phone.

I've got most of my music in ogg vorbis so I'd like to avoid having to transcode for the Pre. Has anyone seen any sort of indication on this point?
    live by the obscure file format, die by the obscure file format.
  3.    #3  
    FLAC, at least, is not particularly obscure.
    From the Palm site:

Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Image Formats: GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP
  5.    #5  
    Yea that's what Palm says, but they're using gstreamer, which supports like every format ever. So either they've spent some effort to strip down gstreamer to nothing to save memory, or they've just picked the media formats they think people care about to list on their site.
    I suppose nothing even with all the change at Palm there really is no change. True to their character they fail to include support for what is probably atleast the 2nd most popular audio format, WMA that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I suppose nothing even with all the change at Palm there really is no change. True to their character they fail to include support for what is probably atleast the 2nd most popular audio format, WMA that is.
    Considering WMA is a proprietary codec, it's not generally that easy to get in Linux. Besides that, most WMA audio that you can legally obtain uses DRM anyway, which means it's definitely not supported. Seems like a waste of effort.
    I use FLAC, but I wouldn't want to use up valuable space on the Pre by using FLAC files, for that I'd just use MP3's.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    My Sprint Palm 700wx records video in a format that windows movie maker can't play friendly with. How stupid is that??
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    live by the obscure file format, die by the obscure file format.
    I'd hardly consider .ogg obscure. That was the open alternative to mp3 from the start. You're less likely to run into people who know FLAC.

Still, I am surprised they wouldn't support an open format like that. No licensing to pay for.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by readams View Post
    Yea that's what Palm says, but they're using gstreamer, which supports like every format ever. So either they've spent some effort to strip down gstreamer to nothing to save memory, or they've just picked the media formats they think people care about to list on their site.
    I dunno. Wouldn't you think that the more supported formats would only make them look better? The more specs, the more people think it's better.
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    On a device with a sub-par DAC and lower-end headphones in a noisy environment, on a device with only 8gb of storage, why the hell would you bother with FLAC?

FLAC on portable devices really only makes sense if you can bypass the internal DAC of the device (ala Wadia's i170 transport which is the only product on the market that lets you bypass the internal DAC of the ipod) and/or have headphones that don't suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    From the Palm site:
    Photos app is not showing GIF format images at all, although they display fine in Mail. Need it for my NYC subway map, darn it!
    Quote Originally Posted by palmcrash View Post
    Photos app is not showing GIF format images at all, although they display fine in Mail. Need it for my NYC subway map, darn it!
    PNGs I've transferred to the device or emailed to myself and hit "save to phone" aren't showing up either. The files are there but the pictures are no where to be found in photos. Definitely a format it should support so I don't know whats up. Does something special need to happen for PNGs to work? Maybe they have to be interlaced or something?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmcrash View Post

Open in Paint on your PC, save as JPEG, problem solved.

As for PNG, if you go into your Pre in Mass Storage mode, you'll notice that screencaptures are saved in both JPEG and PNG format, but the PNG format doesn't actually display in the Photos app, so it's pretty weird that it saves that way.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    One thing I loved about my last WinMo phone, is that CorePlayer could play ANY movie I threw on there. I hate converting.

But since this is Linux and I read Palm wasn't planning on being overprotective, I'm sure some people will find a way to run a Linux video player on it.. I hope.