Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    That's not true. There is a remote wipe feature on the Exchange server. You can get to it from OWA (at least on Exchange 2007). I don't know if it wipes the entire device or only the Exchange data as I've never had occasion to try it (nor am I willing to test it!).

    You misunderstood what Dave said. Those features exsit, and they are part of ActiveSync, but those portions of ActiveSync are (apparently) not implemented on the Pre.

    There are several features of EAS that can be individually implemented. I suspect we will see those capabilities in time, possibly a short time.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    The way I have read about it is this.

    Place the Pre between the Iphone and Blackberry and you kind of get what it is. It can do multimedia like the Iphone and do email like the Blackberry but it can't beat either at their games because its too much of a compromise.
    Show of hands -does anyone see a troll?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You misunderstood what Dave said. Those features exsit, and they are part of ActiveSync, but those portions of ActiveSync are (apparently) not implemented on the Pre.

    There are several features of EAS that can be individually implemented. I suspect we will see those capabilities in time, possibly a short time.
    Huh? How do we know it's not implemented on the Pre? I kinda thought that was one of the basics of EAS. Especially since the Palm Profile has the ability to remote wipe the device, it would seem that the functionality is on the Pre. I think it would be jumping to an unwarranted conclusion to assume that the remote wipe from Exchange server functionality won't be there with the Pre.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    That's not true. There is a remote wipe feature on the Exchange server. You can get to it from OWA (at least on Exchange 2007). I don't know if it wipes the entire device or only the Exchange data as I've never had occasion to try it (nor am I willing to test it!).
    Surely, what the remote wipe Exchange feature does is dependent on the mobile device.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Huh? How do we know it's not implemented on the Pre? I kinda thought that was one of the basics of EAS. Especially since the Palm Profile has the ability to remote wipe the device, it would seem that the functionality is on the Pre. I think it would be jumping to an unwarranted conclusion to assume that the remote wipe from Exchange server functionality won't be there with the Pre.
    I've heard information that the security functionality of EAS won't be on the Pre (at least at launch). There are several things that lead me to believe it's true, but the two biggest (that are easily noted by anyone else):

    • Palm's own "wipe" feature from their website - Most people for whom wipe would be important, access to a corporate server would take care of this. It think this capability is Palm's temporary solution.
    • The two questions in that list - Does your company have specific security and manageability requirements for mobile devices? and Does your company centrally provision devices for large deployments?. Both of those are functionalities provided by EAS (and BES, I might add). I think Palm's qualifying questions are because those don't exist (yet) for the Pre.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Surely, what the remote wipe Exchange feature does is dependent on the mobile device.
    I don't know how it's implemented, but it could be implemented in such a way that the device doesn't have to do anything special. For instance, send a sync that shows everything as deleted, and then de-authorize the device. So the device would just sync up on nothing, leaving it with nothing, and no further updates would be possible. Again, I don't know how it's implemented, but this could be one possibility that wouldn't depend on different functionality on the device.

    I don't really know for sure, but it seems counter-intuitive to assume that you can't do remote wipe when there isn't any information that suggests you can't and there is some that suggests you can (from the Palm Profile).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, in fact he quoted Palm, and then reached his own conclusion:



    What Palm's document actually said was that if the customer's answer to any of those questions was "yes", then they should not buy the Pre. That is exactly correct. Look at the questions proposed:

    • Does your company have specific security and manageability requirements for mobile devices?
      At this point, those security and manageability functions don't exist. If your company requires them, you will not be able to use the Pre.
    • Does your company have specific application requirements?
      Those applications likely don't exist (yet).
    • Does your line of busines require specific product features on mobile devices?
      Same thing, the features are (probably) not present on the Pre.
    • Does your company centrally provision devices for large deployements?
      Again, no centrally managed security. This is a deal breaker in some organizations.


    The purpose of that internal document was to make sure that reps were not selling the Pre to users that would not be able to use them the way they expected.

    The document never said, nor implied, that the Pre was not "good enough" for business customers, only that it would not meet those required criteria.
    There was some editorial added. However, most of those criteria are must haves for large businesses. OTOH for many companies it wouldn't matter if the Pre met all the criteria if they have standardized on another platform (typically RIM but sometimes WM).

    The one area where the article really strayed was the commentary about the SDK Palm is providing. Some of the criticisms may be valid but they are not really relevent to Enterprise users. In fact in-house IT developers are quite likely to have web development skills since many internal apps are probably delivered via the company intranet (saves a bundle on deployment costs).
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I've heard information that the security functionality of EAS won't be on the Pre (at least at launch). There are several things that lead me to believe it's true, but the two biggest (that are easily noted by anyone else):

    • Palm's own "wipe" feature from their website - Most people for whom wipe would be important, access to a corporate server would take care of this. It think this capability is Palm's temporary solution.
    • The two questions in that list - Does your company have specific security and manageability requirements for mobile devices? and Does your company centrally provision devices for large deployments?. Both of those are functionalities provided by EAS (and BES, I might add). I think Palm's qualifying questions are because those don't exist (yet) for the Pre.
    You may be right, I hadn't considered it from that angle. I was actually thinking that the Palm Profile was being used as a sort of Palm-provided EAS with some extra stuff. But that is speculation on my part.

    Another possibility: maybe Palm still wants to sell a few Treo Pros, especially in the near future when there are a lot more of them than Pres.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9. #29  
    i know i can wipe out my Pre via Palm Profile Wipe BUT can my IT Guy wipe out my PRE via EAS wipe????????????????????

  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    There was some editorial added. However, most of those criteria are must haves for large businesses. OTOH for many companies it wouldn't matter if the Pre met all the criteria if they have standardized on another platform (typically RIM but sometimes WM).
    ...
    I don't know if the implication you're making was that those criteria are must haves for most large businesses, but if so, I disagree. I would say "many", but not most. I don't believe most businesses even manage all of their employee's PDA devices. I'd guess that it's a better chance that they will manage (and support) approved devices, but won't support those that aren't approved, leaving the employee to fend for themselves.
  11. #31  
    The Palm won't come with Blackberry Enterprise server support from what i have read which might be a deal breaker for some. Not for me. I'm in the UK and waiting till christmas for this phone.
  12. #32  
    The launch guide is a Sprint document. Yet the entire article is about why Palm sucks for saying those things.

    That should be your first sign this writer is totally clueless with a chip on his shoulder.
  13. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #33  
    I posted this thread 2 days ago, and it didn't get enough attention:

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...od-vs-pre.html

    It's a podcast "comparing" the Pre and the iPod from WIRED.

    Seriously, does anyone take them seriously?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i know i can wipe out my Pre via Palm Profile Wipe BUT can my IT Guy wipe out my PRE via EAS wipe????????????????????

    From everything I've seen, not at launch. However, I expect that to change very soon. It will be a relatively high-demand feature, and since EAS is already on the system, shouldn't be too difficult to add. It might be a "for fee" add-on, as I'm not sure how the extra features in EAS are licensed, but I believe we'll see that ability soon.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't know if the implication you're making was that those criteria are must haves for most large businesses, but if so, I disagree. I would say "many", but not most. I don't believe most businesses even manage all of their employee's PDA devices. I'd guess that it's a better chance that they will manage (and support) approved devices, but won't support those that aren't approved, leaving the employee to fend for themselves.
    My company doesn't manage my PDA device, they manage their PDA device which I carry. I also carry my own smartphone which I manage. The larger and more regulated a company is, the less likely it is that they will allow employees to connect personal devices to their network due to the increased support costs and additional security risks. The problem with allowing employees to "fend for themselves" is they often can't.
  16. krische's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    The Palm won't come with Blackberry Enterprise server support from what i have read which might be a deal breaker for some. Not for me. I'm in the UK and waiting till christmas for this phone.
    Wait are you serious? Of course it doesn't. It's not a blackberry. What's next, you going to complain it doesn't support MobileMe?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Wait are you serious? Of course it doesn't. It's not a blackberry. What's next, you going to complain it doesn't support MobileMe?
    As an FYI - I am sure you thought this was funny, but BES is supported on platforms other than just RIM. So it is not so far fetched to think that BES could be ported to the Pre someday.
  18. pktechguy's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    The Palm won't come with Blackberry Enterprise server support from what i have read which might be a deal breaker for some...
    IMHO it would be great if a Blackberry emulator was created. I could get my mail and wouldn’t have to carry multiple devices. It isn’t a deal-breaker, just a wish.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Whoopee doo. Another moronic pundit's ruminations.
    But they confirmed this somewhat in their own writing. So who's really at fault here? They themselves make the Pre sound limited.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    The launch guide is a Sprint document. Yet the entire article is about why Palm sucks for saying those things.

    That should be your first sign this writer is totally clueless with a chip on his shoulder.
    However who limted the Pre so it possibly can't be used by IT departments?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions