1.    #1  
    Say I buy the Pre and it doesn't make my teeth any whiter and so I return it.

Say I renewed my contract for 2 years in order to get the good deal. So I bought it for $199 and return it and get $199 back.

Am I now locked into contract for 2 years with Sprint? Can I buy another phone with the rebate and everything?

Seems like at this point I should have no contract and full benefits of rebates and discounts and everything. Is that how it works?
    Yes, that is how it works. I emailed Sprint to confirm the same thing. In particular, if you upgrade to the Pre and don't like it, you have 30 days to return it. If you return it, your contract date goes back to the original, you get your money back, and your upgrade is returned to your account.
    I had that experience at BestBuy but the contract date didn't go back after returning it. A call to sprint said they couldn't fix it but shouldn't be a problem to upgrade later. I don't really believe this won't be a pain but i suspect it being a SERO account is what screwed things up.
    Well here in Canada (at least with Fido), you have like 20 days to return the phone and get out of the contract. If you don't then you can keep the phone and pay 200 to get out of the contract at any time. With my carrier and my plan, it's 20 dollars per month remaining in the contract up to 200 dollars (whichever is less). It's probably something similar there. Just read the contract before you sign it.