Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51
  1.    #1  
    Palm Pre Forum - Palm Pre Forum — Blog

    The verdict: The phone is a winner, and it takes over the Iphone as the best phone OS on American soil. The multi tasking is what really shines, and once you start using it you will never want to go back to whatever phone you had before. Sure, some things could be better like more options, but really, when all you have to complain about is a missing option here or there and not being able to use the phone as a modem, you know its a good phone. A must buy on launch day...it's well worth the hype.
  2. #2  
    It doesn't lock on a phone call though, so get ready to hold it away from your ear.
    I'm pretty sure the screen shuts off during a call, so I don't see how this is even a real problem to acknowledge.

    He made some other fishy complaints like the lack of auto focus but Palm said it does have auto focus. This may be a fictitious review...I wouldn't mind if it's real, I don't really care about being able to change the font size, but I don't really believe this is real.
  3. dtokarz's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I'm pretty sure the screen shuts off during a call, so I don't see how this is even a real problem to acknowledge.

    He made some other fishy complaints like the lack of auto focus but Palm said it does have auto focus. This may be a fictitious review...I wouldn't mind if it's real, I don't really care about being able to change the font size, but I don't really believe this is real.
    The Pre has a proximity sensor so it will shut off the screen when it gets close to your face.
  4. #4  
    It has "extended depth of field" not auto-focus
  5. #5  
    Well, we know it has a proximity sensor. We don't know that it shuts off the touch screen.

    And Palm has never said it has auto focus. In fact, they've said the opposite. What Palm claims is "enhanced depth of field" or something like that. Not the same thing at all.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Well, we know it has a proximity sensor. We don't know that it shuts off the touch screen.

    And Palm has never said it has auto focus. In fact, they've said the opposite. What Palm claims is "enhanced depth of field" or something like that. Not the same thing at all.
    The proximity sensor shuts off the screen when it is near your face. When it is not near your face it is on. So if they were testing whether the screen was on in a call, then yes, it would be on if it was not near their face. But it would be off it was near their face. Bad test.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Well, we know it has a proximity sensor. We don't know that it shuts off the touch screen.

    And Palm has never said it has auto focus. In fact, they've said the opposite. What Palm claims is "enhanced depth of field" or something like that. Not the same thing at all.
    I thought I remember the CES demos reps kept saying the proximity sensor did turn off the touch screen, or maybe I am making it up, but I knew I've heard it mentioned before by Palm.
  8. #8  
    The part regarding the lack of option sounds right as far as what I was thinking. I think this is going to be a great phone but its going to be "light" as far as changing app settings.
  9. #9  
    It was designed by former apple employees and a former apple exec. So it should surprise nobody that there are not tons of options and customizations.

    However, it's smart to launch a new product light on options and customizations, because adding those things introduces your probability for bugs almost infinitely. Lauch the phone light, add more options with successive updates as you test them is the smart thing to do.

    I read nothing here that concerns me except maybe bluetooth. And it's really odd that it doesn't seem his proximity sensor was working right.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    This may be a fictitious review...I wouldn't mind if it's real, I don't really care about being able to change the font size, but I don't really believe this is real.
    Would you have thought it was a fictitious review if he said nothing negative about the pre? He said it still the best phone out there. The point is, why not give you the option?
  11. TPavey's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It was designed by former apple employees and a former apple exec. So it should surprise nobody that there are not tons of options and customizations.

    However, it's smart to launch a new product light on options and customizations, because adding those things introduces your probability for bugs almost infinitely. Lauch the phone light, add more options with successive updates as you test them is the smart thing to do.

    I read nothing here that concerns me except maybe bluetooth. And it's really odd that it doesn't seem his proximity sensor was working right.
    Yeah, I thought the bluetooth was concerning as well. I've used bluetooth to send contacts and pics from phone to phone with my last 4 phones. To not have that option is a HUGE step back IMO. If the hardware is there, it is stupid to remove communication abilities.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It was designed by former apple employees and a former apple exec. So it should surprise nobody that there are not tons of options and customizations.

    However, it's smart to launch a new product light on options and customizations, because adding those things introduces your probability for bugs almost infinitely. Lauch the phone light, add more options with successive updates as you test them is the smart thing to do.

    I read nothing here that concerns me except maybe bluetooth. And it's really odd that it doesn't seem his proximity sensor was working right.
    That's a good point. It was hard for me making the transition from a windows phone that would allow you to do almost anything to it to an iPhone. It is great that they can add options and features later.
  13. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    And it's really odd that it doesn't seem his proximity sensor was working right.
    I bet he started a call and was holding the Pre in front of him, looking at the screen and touching it to see if it would work. The screen will work like this. If he held it to his face, the screen wouldn't work. That's the whole point of having a proximity sensor, so you can use the screen when you want to, but not make any accidental inputs when on a call.
  14. #14  
    Ugh what is the point of BT if it doesn't work, Palm better fix this if it's true.
  15. #15  
    It still works for the headset
  16. #16  
    Regarding the customizations, I'm looking forward to a Palm device that doesn't require a lot of settings. Looking at everything I can tweak on my Centro (and Treos before), most of the options come from 3rd party apps added to stabilize the device. That being my experience, I hope I don't need/want much customization. The Bluetooth lockdown is annoying, however.
  17. #17  
    "Font size too small? Too bad."

    Is the reviewer right about this? I thought I had read the Pre has system wide adjustable font size.
  18. #18  
    Crippled Bluetooth makes no sense and is just dumb.
  19. #19  
    I'd have thought for sure that more of you would gripe about the Facebook syncing issues.

    It's a complete non-issue for me, as I don't use it. But I just figured a good amount of people here would have been a bit dissapointed to hear that you can't pick and choose which contacts and which info from those contacts gets synced. Furthermore, that if you delete a contact it just reappears on the next update.
  20. dave75's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    #20  
    To be fair, this guy admits he doesn't have a manual so he really doesn't know what he's doing. There will likely be an online pdf manual that gives a lot more detail.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions