Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    I'd have thought for sure that more of you would gripe about the Facebook syncing issues. It's a complete non-issue for me, as I don't use it.
    I think you might be surprised on this one.

My understanding of how this works and why it bugs people, it doesn't matter if you "use it", if you pop say, John Smith, with and email address of j.smith@precentral.net into your address book, your phone will have a little look at facebook and if it finds the email address j.smith@precentral.net on facebook, the phone will then add all the details from facebook to your address book.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by Sayo View Post

How does the music/video player feel to use? There must be sample tracks/files for you to play with.
    So I tested out the video/music player today and its sort of a mixed bag.

The music player is solid, but nothing you haven't seen before. You can make playlists, search by album and artist, etc...pretty much everything you can do on most other media players. When the program is up and running, you can use gestures to change playback, or you can just use the controls at the bottom of the screen. When it is minimized, it has an icon in the far bottom right corner. When you click it, it brings up a minimized alert window along the very bottom of the phone with controls to pause/skip/rewind without having to go back into the app. A nice touch and very unobtrusive.

The video player is just a disappointment out of the box. Granted, they might add compatibility to other formats, but just using .mp4 and leaving out MPEG, AVI, WMV files....that's just unexcusable. Furthermore, the phone had problems reading some .mp4 files I loaded on there but wouldn't tell me what the error was, just that it couldn't play it back. Now I know they work because they play on my Sony Erricsson phone, but for some reason, it just doesn't work. The only nice thing is that you can adjust playback to be widescreen or standard display which was a nice.

My take would be the MP3 player is fine but nothing that will blow your mind and change the way you view cell phone players, and that the video player just isn't all that great.
    Thanks for the feedback on one of the more undercovered aspects of the Pre.

As for video, I am positive there will be a number of media playing apps on WebOS in very short order, but I would probably be more patient than most as I don't even play video on my 16GB iPod Touch except in the rarest of rare occasions (and even then it's usually a YouTube clip).
    Quote Originally Posted by maninthemist View Post
    The video player is just a disappointment out of the box. Granted, they might add compatibility to other formats, but just using .mp4 and leaving out MPEG, AVI, WMV files....that's just unexcusable.
    Really? I'd assumed that since most AVI files are xvid (a form of MPEG4) that they'd be playable on the Pre. Oh well I guess, I don't really plan on watching much video on it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Really? I'd assumed that since most AVI files are xvid (a form of MPEG4) that they'd be playable on the Pre. Oh well I guess, I don't really plan on watching much video on it anyway.
    AVI can be all sorts of things, anything from DVI to DivX, and lots of stuff in between. They're a support nightmare because they're so flexible.

Having said that, VLC player will play darn near anything. There is a GIGANTIC amount of open source software for Linux to support all kinds of media. If Palm ever opens up the SDK to allow native Linux code to run, there will be so many apps available that it will blow us all away. But I don't think that will happen soon. Still, Palm could definitely expand the media support in the very near future without a ton of effort (I think).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post

My understanding of how this works and why it bugs people, it doesn't matter if you "use it", if you pop say, John Smith, with and email address of j.smith@precentral.net into your address book, your phone will have a little look at facebook and if it finds the email address j.smith@precentral.net on facebook, the phone will then add all the details from facebook to your address book.
    No that is not correct. There are two problems people are having.

Facebook - You can not pick and choose which people on your Facebook account get added to your contacts. It's all or nothing, just like Exchange.

Google contacts - Every person you ever sent an email to with you Gmail account gets added to your All Contacts list. There is also a My Contacts list that is only the people you choose to have as contact. The sync here is with All Contacts, not My Contacts.

So the issue is you get a lot more people added to your contacts, but I don't really find it a big issue if you use Universal Search. You won't even know that they are there.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    maninthemist

If the Pre is sitting on your desk and you are out of hearing range, do you have to wake up the screen (ala iPhone) to see what you have missed?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    @maninthemist

Playlists are interesting, as even the leaked manual doesn't talk about them much. I'm not necessarily interested in making playlists on the go, although that's a fine feature to have- I'm more concerned about the playlists I already have. Do you know how we would go about getting those on the phone? I realize that it'll sync with Windows Media Player, but as I'm on a Mac, I'm not familiar with the latest iteration of it; does it handle playlists?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post

It doesn't do this. It does not aggregate facebook for new contacts or contacts that aren't your friend on facebook. When you add a facebook account to Contacts all it does is pull information from people who are your friend on facebook, from name, email, phone number and birthday. If you were to add a new contact or sync with google for contacts, it will not connect to facebook and look for those people. However it will try and match contacts already pulled from both sources together for easier browsing. But also remember you don't have to keep it like this, if it makes a mistake you can unlink the profiles, or if it misses someone, you can link those profiles together for easier browsing.
    The other confusion a number of people seem to have about Synergy is that it will take info from Facebook and "merge" it with their other contacts. This is not true.

That is the best part of Synergy. It links info from different sources and PRESENTS it to you in either an individual or unified view. It does NOT merge data from different sources. You contacts will remain independent.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    I'd have thought for sure that more of you would gripe about the Facebook syncing issues.

It's a complete non-issue for me, as I don't use it. But I just figured a good amount of people here would have been a bit dissapointed to hear that you can't pick and choose which contacts and which info from those contacts gets synced. Furthermore, that if you delete a contact it just reappears on the next update.
    This could also help people clean up their Facebook friends list. I think people add others as friends on Facebook without thinking. I don't use Facebook much, but if I do and use my real name on it, I am sure my friends list would not include anyone that I do not know their real names are.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123