Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    I'd have thought for sure that more of you would gripe about the Facebook syncing issues.

It's a complete non-issue for me, as I don't use it. But I just figured a good amount of people here would have been a bit dissapointed to hear that you can't pick and choose which contacts and which info from those contacts gets synced. Furthermore, that if you delete a contact it just reappears on the next update.
    It's not an issue on this thread, but there's a big thread going on about it. I don't really get the issue with the Facebook contacts. Why aren't people complaining that they can't pick and choose the people that syncs with their Exchange contacts? Same thing to me. If they don't want them in there, just delete them from Facebook. Use Universal Search to find contacts and you won't even know they are there.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Crippled Bluetooth makes no sense and is just dumb.
    It makes perfect sense for them, though not for us. BT data enables all kinds of things to be done with phones that they don't want us to do, so it is going bye bye
    I'd have thought for sure that more of you would gripe about the Facebook syncing issues.

It's a complete non-issue for me, as I don't use it. But I just figured a good amount of people here would have been a bit dissapointed to hear that you can't pick and choose which contacts and which info from those contacts gets synced. Furthermore, that if you delete a contact it just reappears on the next update.
    That is a bad one, I just figured I wont be syncing facebook to my phone. But after being told I'm not allowed to sync to my Outlook locally (I can't use exchange at work and don't have an exchange server at home) then I guess this just seems like more of the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Ugh what is the point of BT if it doesn't work, Palm better fix this if it's true.
    According to PhoneArena "Bluetooth is present, but initially will be crippled to only audio and supposedly after the launch OBEX added via an upgrade. Over-the-air upgrades are supported, so this should not be a great pain."

Let's hope that's the case. OBEX is a must.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I bet he started a call and was holding the Pre in front of him, looking at the screen and touching it to see if it would work. The screen will work like this. If he held it to his face, the screen wouldn't work. That's the whole point of having a proximity sensor, so you can use the screen when you want to, but not make any accidental inputs when on a call.
    I wonder how well the proximity sensor would work when talking on your bluetooth with your phone in your pocket?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I wonder how well the proximity sensor would work when talking on your bluetooth with your phone in your pocket?
    The proximity sensor should work in your pocket. But even if it doesn't, if you don't have keys or anything conductive in your pocket, there is nothing to provide input.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    According to PhoneArena "Bluetooth is present, but initially will be crippled to only audio and supposedly after the launch OBEX added via an upgrade. Over-the-air upgrades are supported, so this should not be a great pain."

Let's hope that's the case. OBEX is a must.
    That's a pretty old article--hard to believe that this wouldn't be on the Pre, but then you never know.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer

Nah, universal search makes it irrelevant. When I search Outlook contacts at work I don't scroll through thousands of employees, I start typing the name and it narrows the list. When I email on Gmail, I don't click "To" and then scroll through every single person I have ever emailed. I start typing and it gives me my options. Even on Windows Mobile I never search by scrolling anymore.

It's not as important as it used to be.

Already lots of posts on that in other threads.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    The proximity sensor shuts off the screen when it is near your face. When it is not near your face it is on. So if they were testing whether the screen was on in a call, then yes, it would be on if it was not near their face. But it would be off it was near their face. Bad test.

Exactly. You beat me to it.
    Yea, I messed up the proximity sensor part. You can just tap the on off button to lock the screen anyway. Anyone have any other questions? Battery life runs at almost exactly 5 hours of continuous talk time. Yes, bluetooth is awful. No games on the phone yet....trying to think of anything else I can throw in there that you guys would want to know.

I'll still stand by that its the best OS on US soil. The multi tasking is just so silky smooth, you won't want to live without it.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maninthemist View Post
    Yea, I messed up the proximity sensor part. You can just tap the on off button to lock the screen anyway. Anyone have any other questions? Battery life runs at almost exactly 5 hours of continuous talk time. Yes, bluetooth is awful. No games on the phone yet....trying to think of anything else I can throw in there that you guys would want to know.

I'll still stand by that its the best OS on US soil. The multi tasking is just so silky smooth, you won't want to live without it.
    It's been discussed before, but what's your opinion of the keyboard. What have you used prior?

How does the music/video player feel to use? There must be sample tracks/files for you to play with.
    Seems like a very fair review to me. Some praise, some so so and some stuff that needs a good bit of work. Pretty much exactly what I expected.

Nice review.

If you are responding to question in this thread I'm curious if Google syncs with "All contacts" or "My Contacts".

"All" will have everyone and anyone you ever reply to in an email and "my" is only those that you personally add. Obviously syncing with "My" would be preferable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayo View Post
    It's been discussed before, but what's your opinion of the keyboard. What have you used prior?

How does the music/video player feel to use? There must be sample tracks/files for you to play with.
    Keyboard is fine for me. Feels alot like the refreshed Centro keypad and much more firm buttons than the treo pro. I've used a touch pro/treo pro/curve for multiple months each and don't have any problems adjusting to the keypad. Haven't had a chance to load music into it. I'll do it tommorow and see what happens. Video looks great, but I haven't gotten to check all the different codecs that you can use yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Seems like a very fair review to me. Some praise, some so so and some stuff that needs a good bit of work. Pretty much exactly what I expected.

Nice review.

If you are responding to question in this thread I'm curious if Google syncs with "All contacts" or "My Contacts".

"All" will have everyone and anyone you ever reply to in an email and "my" is only those that you personally add. Obviously syncing with "My" would be preferable.
    It's all.

The other annoying thing about the multiple contact sources is this: If you have a person who has a different name on google than facebook, they don't merge. So Joshua and Josh don't mix, and sure you can change the names or lnk the profiles manually yourself on the phone, but it's annoying to have to do. I can appreciate what Palm was trying to do, but I'm just not sure merging contacts from everywhere is something people are going to really want to do on this phone or any other phone.

Also one other thing...if you use the google chat app, you HAVE to synch with Google contacts. They wont let you do one or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by maninthemist View Post
    It's all.

The other annoying thing about the multiple contact sources is this: If you have a person who has a different name on google than facebook, they don't merge. So Joshua and Josh don't mix, and sure you can change the names or lnk the profiles manually yourself on the phone, but it's annoying to have to do. I can appreciate what Palm was trying to do, but I'm just not sure merging contacts from everywhere is something people are going to really want to do on this phone or any other phone.

Also one other thing...if you use the google chat app, you HAVE to synch with Google contacts. They wont let you do one or the other.

Figured as much, so stupid since the API allows syncing to "My". Hopefully they fix that and the face book app which is also borderline retarded in functionality.

Thanks a ton for the info.

Hopefully you will post more when you get some time to play with music and video. Two items we have yet to really hear much about.

Also if you can try and download something from the browser like a PDF, MP3 and video and see how it is handled. It would also be interesting to see if we can "save as" and save to the storage on the phone for files.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

While that seemed a little annoying when I first heard of that... I realized I don't ever scroll through my contacts on my Centro now as it is. There are plenty of people on my phone that I don't call, plenty of phone numbers that I don't need, but have never deleted, because I always use the search feature when making a call. So by adding all my contacts... well... it doesn't really slow down the function of using it as a phone.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    i think it sounds like a pretty fair hands-on and i can see the gripes that everyone is making about the facebook syncing. i would even place myself in that boat as well but then i do realize that on my winmo phone, i do the same as many of you and NEVER scroll through contacts. i just type and search them as they come up and i honestly couldn't tell you how many contacts i have in my phone, although it's a LOT!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    While that seemed a little annoying when I first heard of that... I realized I don't ever scroll through my contacts on my Centro now as it is. There are plenty of people on my phone that I don't call, plenty of phone numbers that I don't need, but have never deleted, because I always use the search feature when making a call. So by adding all my contacts... well... it doesn't really slow down the function of using it as a phone.
    Well only problem I see with always searching is sliding the k/b out everytime. No onscreen k/b means you're gonna' have to slide something to look for contacts.

The more and more I think about it, the more I think we'll need an onscreen k/b.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Yeah it's surprisingly how many contacts I have on my WinMo phone. The FB thing I'm sure there will eventually be some sort of fix for, but it also isn't a huge deal once you have been used to the way that Winmo (and, correct me if I'm wrong, but palm before it) handles searching for contacts.

couple that and quick contacts and you're set
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast