Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    after seeing the video showing the settings option for "background data collection" and also the fact that you MUST have a palm 'profile' and the data on your phone is stored on palm servers from a daily backup, I am starting to think this phone will be a little troubling for me privacy-wise.
    Big Brother is watching!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Tons and tons of our own private information is already spread out all over.
    not my quote but an interesting perspective -

"I know too much about computers, and in 2009 the computers know more about me, then I do. My desire is to stop the electronic trail left everywhere. I can't erase me, but I wish to stop feeding the collective databases everything about me. It's just none of their business. Why in the world should a forever electronic record be kept, that I purchased a pizza on Friday night? It is just none of their business."

i think older people care more about it than do younger people. younger people are so used to technology being such a big part of their lives that, in general, it bothers them much less.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i think older people care more about it than do younger people. younger people are so used to technology being such a big part of their lives that, in general, it bothers them much less.
    No, younger people are just stupid and don't know the past. COINTELPRO plus GOOGLE would be impossible to combat.
    You already have zero privacy - get over it. (Scott McNealy)

Sad... but I think its true.
    Quote Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
    No, younger people are just stupid and don't know the past. COINTELPRO plus GOOGLE would be impossible to combat.
    maybe. but aren't they more suspicious of "the man"?
    after seeing the video showing the settings option for "background data collection" and also the fact that you MUST have a palm 'profile' and the data on your phone is stored on palm servers from a daily backup, I am starting to think this phone will be a little troubling for me privacy-wise.
    I can see that being an issue with people in medical field. Myself, there is no sensitive information I keep on my phone.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Just because you have information on a server somewhere doesn't mean that you necessarily have less privacy. It depends on Palm's privacy policies, how they manage their servers, etc. Also note that your Palm Profile won't back up ALL the information on your phone, only the information that can be found solely on your phone (in other words, not the information that is already stored on other servers).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

ME NO STEWPID YUNG PERSUN.. Just kidding, I can see your point...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    You already have zero privacy - get over it. (Scott McNealy)
    Yeah, Scott was talking about Sun Jini, how did that go over
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I can see that being an issue with people in medical field. Myself, there is no sensitive information I keep on my phone.
    You'd be surprised how combining multiple bits of information that seem innocuous in themselves can reveal things you never imagined. NSA and the various organizations involved in the fight against terror spend spend a great deal of time doing just this sort of thing. It doesn't take your SSN to learn a great deal about you.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Just because you have information on a server somewhere doesn't mean that you necessarily have less privacy. It depends on Palm's privacy policies, how they manage their servers, etc. Also note that your Palm Profile won't back up ALL the information on your phone, only the information that can be found solely on your phone (in other words, not the information that is already stored on other servers).
    And it depends on Palm's privacy polices forever, since every company reserves the right to change policies on a moments notice. And it depends on the security of those servers. And the security of the backups of those servers. And the trustworthyness and willingness to follow policy of the employees and contractors who run the data farm. And what the government decides to subpeona.

Given how many breaches of sensitive data we've seen of truly sensitive information, I wouldn't have any serious expectation of privacy for any data stored on Palm's servers. If someone knowledgealbe decides they want to see what's there, it'll be gone within minutes.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Jeez. people. All you need to do is get an alternative identity. Thought everyone did that.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I'm still forming my plan for the Pre, but here is what I plan so far.

I deleted all my contacts in Gmail and Yahoo Mail. I plan to transfer my Treo addresses with the Data Transfer Agent directly to my Pre. With the Pre, I don't really need multiple copies of my address book.

Now all I need is a way to keep my address book on my Mac synced with my Pre. I expect Mark/Space, MobileMe, or someone to come up with a good solution for that. I may wind up with address book sync thru USB only.

That solves the security concerns with address book.

I don't have that many contacts on Facebook. Only 4 of them put there phone numbers on Facebook so I'll probably sync Facebook without problems.

I'm gonna experiment with MobileMe and see if I can sync my contacts and calendar there. The email on MobileMe is IMAP so I don't expect any problems there.

Calendars I'll have to experiment with. I only have some public calendars on Google and Yahoo. I may wind up with duplicate holidays there - shouldn't be too bad.

That's what I plan so far.

How about you folks.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    ever try googling your home phone number?,,,you would will be amazed at the amount of information that comes up...there are a lot of ways to find information with out a SSN..in most case all that is needed is an address..or a full name and birthday...and it's all a matter of public record...
    The problem is that any time you even use email not hosted by yourself someone has access to all of your emails. When you browse the web you leave a trail. The trick is to keep track of what you use public services for and what you use private services for. If you have sensitive info, don't send it over an unencrypted connection.
    It doesn't really matter if you've never registered for any cloud based service, your information is all over the net whether you want it or not. In the US, more and more public records databases are searchable on the net: Voting registrations, political donations, county real estate tax records, civil court cases - marriages & divorces, birth & death records (not birth certificates), criminal court records, school alumni records, utility records. All you have to do is go to People Search | Background Check | Reverse Cell Phone Lookup - Intelius.com and you'll get a history of your addresses for the past 10 years or so.

So for Palm to take my email, name or alias, address -- I'm ok.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

I think it has more to do with age than technology. Back in the 70s my attitude was what does it matter if you have nothing to hide. Now that I am older, wiser, and more paranoid I know better. And this issue is the last of my real concerns about the PrPrPr.
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I don't mind it so much on my home computer or laptop or whatever as I can do many things to block stuff I don't want, but on a locked down mobile device, it is their way or the highway.

I can see now that there will be location and context sensitive google ads in your pre browser experience and no way whatsoever to block them as you could if using hardware and software that you own.

So, I am walking down the street with my pre, tweeting my friends and updating my facebook profile to say, "Hey, let's meet up at the park tonight for a campfire" and up pops an ad notification on the pre display for the grocer I happen to be walking by, "Marshmallows on sale $1.99, perfect for campfires".

I feel sure you are probably agreeing to something like this with Palm Profile TOS or EULA. And this is just the annoying ad crap, no mention of the potential nefarious uses should google drop their 'do no evil'