Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Trust me, this does get Pre related....

After my second 700w crapped out, Joe Sprint sales weasel convinced me to get the Total Protection Plan (TPP) for it. For $7 a month, they would just replace the phone.

The weasel failed to mention the deductible of $50. I got the info about the plan in the mail from Sprint detailing the deductible and canceled total equipment ripoff ASAP. The street value of the 700wx is less than a deductible + 1 year TEP for sure.

My point is this:

1) Before you buy TPP on the Pre, figure out what the replacement cost of a Pre would be. I'll assume it's quite high, but these things can change quickly.

2) It looks like the deductibles can be $50 or $100, I'd assume the Pre is $100.

If your Pre dies next June (2010), and you replace it under TPP, you'd have shelled out $184 (100 + 12*$7) already. At that point it's probably more than half the retail value of the phone for a repair!

$7/month seems trivial, but that doesn't mean it's a good deal. It's probably only worth it on a high value phone, and even then for a limited time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I verified my situation with a Sprint rep, and they confirmed my math.
    The old deductible for Smartphones WAS $50 but earlier this year Asurion bumped it to $100. And the retail value of the phone is $549 which according to my math $184 does not equal more than half of that. The $199 price tag is a contract deal. I don't know how the 1 year upgrade for premier customers works but I guess if you're a Premier customer and you take good care of your phones, TEP is pointless?

Also remember TEP covers loss and theft so it's not that bad of an insurance plan. Not to mention what happens if it craps out within 6 months, you'd probably have to file a claim with Palm and who knows how long it will take for you to get a replacement. Part of the deal with TEP is the convenience of it. And normal wear-and-tear damage you don't have to pay a deductible. The deductible price is more if you drown it in water or something.
    Let me also note that having the TPP on my plan since Sprint intoduced the Mogul, I have had nearly 5 phones replaced by a brick and mortar Sprint store without ever digging into my pockets. Also, the transactions did not all take place at the same location.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    And the retail value of the phone is $549 which according to my math $184 does not equal more than half of that.
    Actually, if the phone is a year old like in my example, it's not going to be worth $549, $184 would be half of $368 and I bet you can buy a used Pre for that one year from now.

Also remember TEP covers loss and theft so it's not that bad of an insurance plan.
    So what? If you buy a replacement outside TEP, what is the difference whether the phone is lost or stolen?

I'm not bashing the plan in it's entirety. I'm pointing out:

1) It's probably only worth it for new and expensive phones, which includes the Pre for about a year.

2) TEP is somewhat misleading. Yes $7/month seems trivial, but $100 deductible is crazy. If the Pre is $549, the deductible is 18% of the phone cost, and percentage will rise very quickly.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    What about Sprint's Service and Repair Program? It's separate from the TEP, but apparently it covers any mechanical or electronic failure of the device due to wear and tear. You have to get it within 30 days of getting your phone, and it sounds like snake oil to me, kinda. I haven't had Sprint in years, but don't they honor the phone's (standard) one year warranty? If an issue is covered by the SARP, isn't it covered by Sprint normally? To me it sounds like they're getting you to pay $4 a month for something that is normally free- the only benefit being that for as long as you own the phone, you'll have protection, rather than the standard year. Please illuminate, if anyone has any experience on it.

In regards to the TEP, I find that a floater policy with State Farm is better than something like this. It's around the same price if you have renter/fire/home insurance with them, but there's no deductible. It also covers accidental damage, theft, etc.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    Let me also note that having the TPP on my plan since Sprint intoduced the Mogul, I have had nearly 5 phones replaced by a brick and mortar Sprint store without ever digging into my pockets. Also, the transactions did not all take place at the same location.
    The techs at the B&M are being nice. When I asked the Sprint rep, they told me replacement would be $100.
    If you don't want to take it then don't. I've known people who have gone through probably 10 phones(HTC Mogul) without spending a dime, because the reason they replaced it was filed under normal wear and tear or physical defect. The only people I've heard who ended up having to pay the deductible was from people whose device suffered from water damage.(dropped in pool or toilet, :P )

Admittedly, a year from now you might find a Pre for the contract price of $199 on ebay, when I got my Treo 700wx from Ebay it was close to a year after it had been released and couldn't get anything cheaper than about $30-40 above contract price.

The recent bump in Asurion's deductible is a bit ridiculous, but I'm willing to pay a little extra(if it is a little extra) for the convenience of getting it easily replaced without jumping through hoops. I'm a person who doesn't mind spending a little extra for convenience in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    The techs at the B&M are being nice. When I asked the Sprint rep, they told me replacement would be $100.
    The stores I went do don't have repair techs, just reps. I've also had exchanges done via telesales at no cost.
    If your Pre dies next June (2010), and you replace it under TPP, you'd have shelled out $184 (100 + 12*$7) already. At that point it's probably more than half the retail value of the phone for a repair!
    There is no repair option for the Pre, the leaked sales guide mentions the enclosed design of the Pre doesn't allow for a repair option -it will be swaped by another (possibly refurbished) Pre.

...but I guess if you're a Premier customer and you take good care of your phones, TEP is pointless?
    Accidents happen and no matter how careful you are, there's always a chance of an accidental drop.
    And normal wear-and-tear damage you don't have to pay a deductible. The deductible price is more if you drown it in water or something.
    Are you sure it covers wear and tear and there's no deductible?

So what? If you buy a replacement outside TEP, what is the difference whether the phone is lost or stolen?
    What do you mean "so what"? If you don't have the plan, you'd have to pay out of pocket for a replacement, even if it's used one from eBay, whereas the plan would provide you with a replacement.

As for the deductible, I don't think you'll be able to get a Pre for $100, even a year from now.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    There is no repair option for the Pre, the leaked sales guide mentions the enclosed design of the Pre doesn't allow for a repair option -it will be swaped by another (possibly refurbished) Pre.

Accidents happen and no matter how careful you are, there's always a chance of an accidental drop. Are you sure it covers wear and tear and there's no deductible?

What do you mean "so what"? If you don't have the plan, you'd have to pay out of pocket for a replacement, even if it's used one from eBay, whereas the plan would provide you with a replacement.

As for the deductible, I don't think you'll be able to get a Pre for $100, even a year from now.
    It's not $100, it $100 plus all the months you paid the premium. In my example, it would be $184.
    Are you sure it covers wear and tear and there's no deductible?
    ESRP part of TEP
    -Provides coverage for mechanical or electrical failure, routine maintenance or failure from normal wear and tear.
    -No additional out-of-pocket charges to repair or replace your malfunctioning device.
    The Pre will be a replace only phone, there will be no repairs on it. If you have a problem with the Pre they will only replace as far as I read.
    It's not $100, it $100 plus all the months you paid the premium. In my example, it would be $184.
    I still don't think you'd get a Pre for less than $184 from eBay. You'd still have to deal with the potential rogue eBay seller and dealing with Paypal.

If you think Sprint's policy sucks, allow me to introduce you to Paypal's.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    The Pre will be a replace only phone, there will be no repairs on it. If you have a problem with the Pre they will only replace as far as I read.
    Replacements are also covered under the the ESRP, which is free-of-charge replacements for wear-and-tear of units. The Asurion deductible comes into play from loss, theft, and damage from; fire, lightning, water, physical.
    ESRP part of TEP
    -Provides coverage for mechanical or electrical failure, routine maintenance or failure from normal wear and tear.
    -No additional out-of-pocket charges to repair or replace your malfunctioning device.
    Keyword there is "failure". You made it seem one could replace their handset just for wear and tear.
    Keyword there is "failure". You made it seem one could replace their handset just for wear and tear.
    I'm sorry but admittedly what company would replace a perfectly working device just because it has a scratch in the casing or something. Give them some slack. All this info was found on Sprint's site, it's good to do a little research.
    I'm giving Sprint plenty of slack, it's your description that I was commenting on.
    I never had TEP in the past and just counted on myself to be careful. Even so, when my Mogul had issues that were not my fault, they swapped it out for $50 (for a Touch Pro since Mogul wasn't made anymore). Still, this will be my girlfriend's first smartphone and she is used to just chucking her crappy flip into her purse with everything else. I feel like it may be worth the $7 a month for hers at least.
    Trust me, this does get Pre related....

After my second 700w crapped out, Joe Sprint sales weasel convinced me to get the Total Protection Plan (TPP) for it. For $7 a month, they would just replace the phone.

The weasel failed to mention the deductible of $50. I got the info about the plan in the mail from Sprint detailing the deductible and canceled total equipment ripoff ASAP. The street value of the 700wx is less than a deductible + 1 year TEP for sure.

My point is this:

1) Before you buy TPP on the Pre, figure out what the replacement cost of a Pre would be. I'll assume it's quite high, but these things can change quickly.

2) It looks like the deductibles can be $50 or $100, I'd assume the Pre is $100.

$7/month seems trivial, but that doesn't mean it's a good deal. It's probably only worth it on a high value phone, and even then for a limited time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I verified my situation with a Sprint rep, and they confirmed my math.
    Great post I've been wondering about this!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    You don't need to shell out $7 per month to get your phone replaced if it dies. Sprint's Service and Repair Program is only $4. The TEP is inclusive of the $4 SARP, and the $4 Equipment Replacement Program (ERP). You get a $1 discount by getting both. As I suggested earlier, just get a State Farm floater policy in lieu of the ERP- it has no deductible and covers damage, theft, etc.

So... if your Pre dies next June, and you replace it, it would be covered under SARP, so you'll actually only shell out $48 (if you got the SARP plan for $4, and not both, for $7), NOT $184. There is no deductible for SARP. There is only a deductible for the ERP- which explicitly covers loss.

Can someone explain the SARP program in more detail? If one doesn't get it, does Sprint cover the phone for the 1st year due to warranty status?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast