Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I still don't think you'd get a Pre for less than $184 from eBay. You'd still have to deal with the potential rogue eBay seller and dealing with Paypal.

If you think Sprint's policy sucks, allow me to introduce you to Paypal's.
    I need to start selling insurance to people like you. If I told you I could theft/repair insure your $20K car for $1000 a month you would buy it. After all it's only $12K a year, and you couldn't buy a new $20K car for that!

My point is this:

You keep spending $7/month, and the phone is depreciating rapidly. It will not take long for the money you shelled out for insurance + deductible to exceed what you can buy the phone for.

To be ridiculous, but prove my point, let's say you had the phone for 3 years, and spend $252 (7*36) + the $100 deductible. Do you really think the phone is going to be worth $352 is 3 years?

What if Sprint has a "Pre 2" in 6 mos? Do you think the Pre will not drop in price on the street?

Again, I'm not saying I hate the program, I just feel like it has a lot of "fine print".

I like the idea someone suggested of a homeowner policy. It is probably cheaper and more honest.
  2. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    The Pre will be a replace only phone, there will be no repairs on it. If you have a problem with the Pre they will only replace as far as I read.
    or so thats what sprint says..i cant wait to crack a pre open
    being a tech and running a service repair center, ill be the first to find out if the phone is even repairable in the event something breaks or if its trully an exchange only phone
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  3. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jthelman View Post
    I need to start selling insurance to people like you. If I told you I could theft/repair insure your $20K car for $1000 a month you would buy it. After all it's only $12K a year, and you couldn't buy a new $20K car for that!

My point is this:

You keep spending $7/month, and the phone is depreciating rapidly. It will not take long for the money you shelled out for insurance + deductible to exceed what you can buy the phone for.

To be ridiculous, but prove my point, let's say you had the phone for 3 years, and spend $252 (7*36) + the $100 deductible. Do you really think the phone is going to be worth $352 is 3 years?

What if Sprint has a "Pre 2" in 6 mos? Do you think the Pre will not drop in price on the street?

Again, I'm not saying I hate the program, I just feel like it has a lot of "fine print".

I like the idea someone suggested of a homeowner policy. It is probably cheaper and more honest.
    you only pay a deductible if your phone has physical or water damage
    so lets say in 3 years you've paid $252 for insurance..sounds like its well worth it as thats still less than half of msrp on this phone. or if you do loose it or toss it in the toilet dont tell me your getting ripped off because to find another pre hassle free wont be cheaper. and who knows you might get your phone replaced by the pre 2 if inventory levels are low
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    That's not what the Sprint rep told me.

If there's no physical damage or water damage, what else is there? "Virtual damage" or theft?
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    so lets say in 3 years you've paid $252 for insurance..sounds like its well worth it as thats still less than half of msrp on this phone. or if you do loose it or toss it in the toilet dont tell me your getting ripped off because to find another pre hassle free wont be cheaper. and who knows you might get your phone replaced by the pre 2 if inventory levels are low
    And in 2 years, you'll probably be able to buy a brand new 32GB Pre2 (or Pre3) for $199 with a new contract, or even sooner if you're a Premier customer.
    I've replace many Palms for all kinds of reasons on Verizon and now Sprint. $7 is steep (it used to be $4 on Verizon), but it's cheap for peace of mind. Yes, the $100 think shook me for a minutes, but I always got the updated phone when I needed a replacement. For example, I got a 700P from my 650 when it crapped out. Of course that was at $4 and $50 deductible, but you get the picture.
    You guys are forgetting the biggest cost, time. I can't afford to wait for a phone from ebay. The $7 plan is a great way to manage costs and keep my employees connected.
    waste of money.

Save for the unexpected, insure for the catastrophe.
    One question. Don't you get your 7 dollars for TEP discounted like I do. I get 15% plus 5% a month off. The total discounted is $1.51. That would bring down TEP to 5.49 a month. Those who get discounts, check your bill. So now the total is 154 instead of 184. That is not bad to replace a phone. And remember if the phone is not available the give you something similar to what you had.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12