Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. vnx
    Sorry guys I've been sleeping... I was playing with the pre at a party last night. anyway, most of you are wondering about the keyboard, and I can honestly say, that it was pretty tough to type because of the slider and also doesnt really pop out like the treo or my q9c. compared with the iphone, the keyboard on there is bigger, most definitely.

I also had some problems sliding the phone up, but the dude said its because it was an older version and the newer version should fix that.

The web browser was just like safari and loaded up pages really fast. It is on par with the iphone and destroyed my mobile internet explorer.

Also, that video I told you about, I was quite buzzed and realized that I was filming in the dark so theres a glare, also I didnt want to get caught by the owner because of the non disclosure act. I will post it, but just like someone said, don't expect much from the q9c. =/
    Last edited by vnx; 05/25/2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNdiyIa_uZ0
    Quote Originally Posted by vnx View Post
    Sorry guys I've been sleeping... I was playing with the pre at a party last night. anyway, most of you are wondering about the keyboard, and I can honestly say, that it was pretty tough to type because of the slider and also doesnt really pop out like the treo or my q9c. compared with the iphone, the keyboard on there is bigger, most definitely.

I also had some problems sliding the phone up, but the dude said its because it was an older version and the newer version should fix that.

The web browser was just like safari and loaded up pages really fast. It is on par with the iphone and destroyed my mobile internet explorer.

Also, that video I told you about, I was quite buzzed and realized that I was filming in the dark so theres a glare, also I didnt want to get caught by the owner because of the non disclosure act. I will post it, but just like someone said, don't expect much from the q9c. =/

its not that bad and thank you for sharing.
  3. vnx
    thanks for posting that link, I'm not able to quite yet cuz of my low post count! haha
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    @vnx-

Can you share with us the best/worst about the phone? And if indeed the worst is the keyboard, could you further explain your view? Maybe suggest a way how it could be better, for a frame of reference? Thanks for sharing, btw. I'm jealous.
    Wowie!

Looked like a fun party too! I wonder if I can find a party in Kerrville that will have a Pre on the guest list. (Probably not)

I could brand cattle though.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  6. vnx
    the best part of the phone was just the the design of the OS because of being able to open multiple apps at once. I was actually griping about how windows mobile could do it but it wasn't as intuitive as the card method. I'm still partial to the keyboard since its not landscape and the fact that its smaller than the centro's. I guess I got used to the q9's keyboard and that thing is built solid and typing on it was a breeze. Also, i didnt realize the phone was that narrow, narrower than my q9 and actually thinner even with my gigantic extended battery.

gestures take some getting used to. the gesture area sometimes needs more than one swipe to get things going which i don't blame on palm because it could be that i'm not using it every single day yet.

I was shocked to see this phone "in the wild" and was lucky to play with it before the release. I will definitely be getting this phone, unless my plan gets in the way. if that happens, i guess i'll have to wait for the EOS (which i heard is already being tested).
    Quote Originally Posted by vnx View Post
    I'm still partial to the keyboard since its not landscape and the fact that its smaller than the centro's.
    WAIT - *Smaller" than the Centro's? No way - the keys are the same size as the Pro's but with a smile shape. Right? I can't even SEE the keys on a Centro - the Pre's have to be bigger.

But yes, I agree it is hard to beat the Q9c's kb.
  8. vnx
    well the keyboard is probably the same size as the centro's, but its more spaced out and doesnt protrude as much which could be a problem for those trying to type using one hand.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    vnx, the browser isn't faster than the iPhone? even on a faster 3G (sprint) ? Nice to know there wasn't any sluggishness while you were playing with it! On to the keyboard did it feel awkward typing on the phone? rather than the keys being small. VNX is there that reflective material on the back of the screen while the Pre is open?

Thanks for the post!
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Thanks - the Pre strikes me of being more like previous Treo kb's than the Centro shape - particularly since it is smiley instead of straight. The Pre is wider too - by .2", so that could make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    dang, that poor red centro looks like it's lost it's fair share of bull fights, lol!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Was the Browser using 3G or Wifi. I doubt there is much difference between iPhone and Pre download speeds when using Wifi, which I assume this guy has in his house if he has a Pre. 3G should show a difference, but I doubt it is much...its just that Sprints 3g coverage is better.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    The keyboard comments are starting to concern me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The keyboard comments are starting to concern me...
    Come to think of it me too! What if the slider makes it extremely difficult to type. Vnx sweet vid dude but can you elaborate further regarding typing on the keyboard. Thanks bro
    For me... being a Treo 300, 600, 650, 700p, 700wx, 800p, Pro user (hell even had a Centro, hated that KB), the Pre keys felt like home. It's pretty much the 800w shape (reduced slightly but still spaced accordingly) with a cross between the feel of Pro and Centro keys. Not super mushy but a little give... I typed like a champ on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    For me... being a Treo 300, 600, 650, 700p, 700wx, 800p, Pro user (hell even had a Centro, hated that KB), the Pre keys felt like home. It's pretty much the 800w shape (reduced slightly but still spaced accordingly) with a cross between the feel of Pro and Centro keys. Not super mushy but a little give... I typed like a champ on it.

Thanks Pooh I feel a bit better. I had a 650 and a 700wx at one point, not the best KB's but do able. If the pre is any better than those I'll be fine. I was also fine with the Pro in the store I was able to check that KB out and it seemed ok. The damn Centro was just way too small for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    When did you get hands on time with it? Is there a post somewhere that I missed where you give your impressions?
    Nothing major. I didn't make a huge post over it... just a few minutes time with it. I've just been slipping in little mentions here and there... total time with the device was inconsequential to have a lasting impression in terms of the OS.

As far as the form factor goes... simply amazing. I remember how small it was but still have a gorgeous screen (kind of wondering why the iPhone felt like a beast at that point). It's perfectly balanced when opened and the arc on it was very cool in terms of how it is viewable when opened.

Other than that... people have already summed it up nicely.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast