1.    #1  
    I have been a Sprint user for several years but never used a Palm before. I want to get the Pre when it comes out but there are two questions I am wondering about. There is a particular shoutcast feed I like to listen to. It's not a radio station, but it's a radio scanner. You can look at some of the feeds listed at Mel's Garage (melsgarage.com). For example, the feed for Miami Dade Fire Department is //74.229.4.35:4012/listen.pls. So my first question is this: Is there an application on the Pre that should be able to accept a Shoutcast url like this and just play it?

My second question is provider-specific. I intend to stay with Sprint and if I get the Pre, I'd have to get the Everything Data plan. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how much data you can download on this plan? I would hate to get the phone and find out that I can only listen to this feed for like 10 hours or something per month. Thanks for any responses to my questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    I have been a Sprint user for several years but never used a Palm before. I want to get the Pre when it comes out but there are two questions I am wondering about. There is a particular shoutcast feed I like to listen to. It's not a radio station, but it's a radio scanner. You can look at some of the feeds listed at Mel's Garage (melsgarage.com). For example, the feed for Miami Dade Fire Department is //74.229.4.35:4012/listen.pls. So my first question is this: Is there an application on the Pre that should be able to accept a Shoutcast url like this and just play it?

My second question is provider-specific. I intend to stay with Sprint and if I get the Pre, I'd have to get the Everything Data plan. Does anyone know if there is a limit to how much data you can download on this plan? I would hate to get the phone and find out that I can only listen to this feed for like 10 hours or something per month. Thanks for any responses to my questions.
    <temp bump>
    Just call me Berd.
    I believe the Everything data plans are capped at 5gigs, but you can further research on Google or Sprint.com to verify that. I'm pretty sure it's 5 gigs.

As far as the shoutcast, I doubt anyone knows if it will handle them out of the box. This guy has a Pre emulator and has been answering people's questions, so you can ask this user on Youtube:

YouTube - PalmPreForumDotOrg's Channel

and he'll most likely respond to how the emulator handles that type of URL.

As far as an app, I would recommend you see if the iPhone or G1 has apps that do this, and contact those developers to request them for the Pre, they might even already have plans. That's what I did and found out a cool Android app called Shopsaavy is being made for the Pre.

Good luck.
    does any streaming radio work on the Pre IN THE BACKGROUND?

Sprint TV/Radio = NO
    Pandora = ?
    Shoutcast = ?
    Via Web Browser = ?
    For now I can only get this solution to work. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...streaming.html
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  6.    #6  
    Just FYI, I tried the link this morning and it works natively on the Pre!
    How exactly did you get it to work? I can only get a few stations to work, and only on shoutcast classic, other times I get a page just saying that I could not connect
    I've never gone over on data and I have been streaming for years on Treos and WM devices. Only times I went over were when I had no ISP for a month and was doing torrents over my Touch Pro's Internet Sharing app.
  9.    #9  
    Last edited by Gilligan3816; 06/26/2009 at 10:25 PM.
    Shoutcast streams play natively on the Pixi so they should play on other version. FYI they do bog down the phone so multitasking while listening to the stream is out of the question.