1.    #1  
    Something thats got me a bit worried is the keyboard & how comfortable it is to use in real life (hammering out long emails, etc).

From the photos, it looks as if there's a chance that it could be top-heavy when sliding up the phone & using the keyboard. But maybe its not because the battery & stuff on the back would weigh that part down. Hmmm.
    i've also wondered about this...we won't know til we get to try it unfortunately!
    I know that Dieter had a chance to get a hold of the Pre back at CES and I think he said it didn't feel top-heavy. And we believe Dieter.

In Dieter we trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Something thats got me a bit worried is the keyboard & how comfortable it is to use in real life (hammering out long emails, etc).

From the photos, it looks as if there's a chance that it could be top-heavy when sliding up the phone & using the keyboard. But maybe its not because the battery & stuff on the back would weigh that part down. Hmmm.
    Not top-heavy accoring to this description

The slider. Very simple the best slider I have ever felt. When open its like a expensive knife when the handle is balanced with the blade, or maybe its just because it rest in my palm well.
    http://forums.precentral.net/1611868-post1.html
    I'm glad it feels balanced. I wonder how hard it will be for one handed typing.
    I've been worried about this as well. Even "balanced" sounds like it's a bit top heavy, like one misstep and it'll fall out of balance and onto the floor.

Hopefully Palm packed most of the "beef" of the phone (and the battery) in the bottom half which slides, that'll put the CG in a nice place right between your hands.
    It is unlikely to be top-heavy as the battery - the heaviest (or most dense) single component - is in the bottom half. The display will also be heavy, but not as heavy as the battery.

Edit: nerdtalker also posted the same thing above... as I was typing this.
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Topheavy like going around a corner at 70 in a ford bronco
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    What worries me is texting on the Pre with an extended battery, then its going to be pretty imbalanced
    I think the better question is how sturdy is the slider, and how long before it loosens up and starts to break.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    I think the better question is how sturdy is the slider, and how long before it loosens up and starts to break.
    I think they have Sliders down now. My wife had a Kyocera Slider for 2 years and she would slide it open a hundred times a day and it always worked.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Looking at the pics for the Pre, When it's slid open the bottom half and top half are not equal. It looks as though the top portion is about 1/3 and the bottom portion is about 2/3 very smart on the part of Palm. pre_08.png
    Click on picture for a bigger view.
    IMO, I do not feel like the unit I used was top heavy at all. It kind of balances nicely... more so than my old PPC6600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    IMO, I do not feel like the unit I used was top heavy at all. It kind of balances nicely... more so than my old PPC6600.
    Did you ever have any problems with the slider on your PPC6600?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Did you ever have any problems with the slider on your PPC6600?
    Yup... after 6 months of solid use, it would start sliding back downwards. Audiovox/UTStarcomm didn't really perfect the mechanism on that device (it wasn't spring or hinge based). I think I have it upstairs somewhere, I should charge it up for SnG's