Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    11. And the iPhone has no ability to give me a dedicated keyboard when I don't want to cut screen real estate down to a third using the onscreen keyboard. The vast majority of keyboard uses on a smartphone will benefit from a keyboard that doesn't use screen real estate. Another loss for iPhone.

I love the Pre as much as anyone, but this is just plain stupid. When you need to type something in, the keyboard appears. When your done, it goes away. On the Pre, you will be looking at your fingers when you type anyway.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I love my iPhone as much as the next person, but your reason number 1 doesn't make that much sense. How often do you make a call and surf at the same time?

All the time. I look up things all the time to discuss while on conference calls.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Look, I'm not trying to be a troublemaker and I see your point of view. I do want to have an open mind so let me know what you thing the main thngs are that you believe favors the Pre and I'll legitimately consider them

1. So, basically, the Sprint Pre never stood a

chance with you no matter how good the device was. Kind of renders your other critiques moot.
    2. Tired argument in the extreme, but this is hardly a universal negative. Also, the 32GB iPod will cost at least $100 more and several hundred more in service costs each year. Over the span of your two year contract, you could have purchased a 32GB (soon to be 64?) iPod Touch, a Wii, and a PS3 along with accessories for what you will pay extra for the 32GB iPhone versus the Pre. But at least you can listen to some more albums at any given time, right? Win!!!
    3. This will be added by Sprint or a third party VERY soon after launch.
    4. Wack arguing point that somehow gives an advantage to iPhone due to...metaphysics? PalmOS is an even steadier, app-laden platform than iPhone/OSX. So what?
    5. Last time I checked, Sprint commercials are all over the
    place, so they most certainly CAN afford to advertise, but are declining to for now due to the limited inventory. I still don't understand how a company's advertising budget helps my phone or PDA work better...
    6. Would be a big negative...if it wasn't launching on a domestic carrier. Again, has nothing to do with the Sprint Pre specifically.
    7. Yup. Smaller device. Which I like actually. The iPhone is kinda big for my pockets. I have an iPod Touch 16GB. I always hand carry it if I bring it anywhere. Good device...wish it fit in the hand better.
    8. Don't care about this at all. You might as well ding iTunes for not direct syncing with another media program. I'm tired of Apple trying to sneak their programs on my machine because I simply use iTunes anyway.
    9. Actually, it's meant to be limited toward ANY desktop. That's the point of the whole cloud thingy, y'know?
    10. LOL. Rather be stuck with them than AT&T, a financially successful company with a 3G network that fails during most stress tests (e.g. Coachella, Lollapalooza) and drops calls left and right in my major metropolitan city. Again, how does a company's balance sheet get me clearer calls or faster data?
    11. And the iPhone has no ability to give me a dedicated keyboard when I don't want to cut screen real estate down to a third using the onscreen keyboard. The vast majority of keyboard uses on a smartphone will benefit from a keyboard that doesn't use screen real estate. Another loss for iPhone.

I kinda wish you would. Very funny stuff.

Buddy, Sprint doesn't need expansion. It NEEDS contraction because they allowed themselves to get too big and unprofitable with the Nextel acquisition. AT&T needs expansion simply to reliably meet claims of having a nationwide 3G network. If you want to pay extra for that, great. Again, you criticize Sprint, CDMA, and almost everything else under the sun BUT the phone. It's very telling.

Well, I don't measure how good a device is by market share or how cool it comes off to my friends or how many people switched to get it. None of those things help deliver clearer calls, faster data, or a better user experience.

You should continue to enjoy your iPhone 3G. It's a nice device and OS (just not for me), and it's produced some great changes in this industry. But please end the fiction that you seriously considered a new Sprint Palm phone for more than a few seconds. That's not possible given your assertions here.
    1. So, basically, the Sprint Pre never stood a chance with you no matter how good the device was. Kind of renders your other critiques moot.
    2. Tired argument in the extreme, but this is hardly a universal negative. Also, the 32GB iPod will cost at least $100 more and several hundred more in service costs each year. Over the span of your two year contract, you could have purchased a 32GB (soon to be 64?) iPod Touch, a Wii, and a PS3 along with accessories for what you will pay extra for the 32GB iPhone versus the Pre. But at least you can listen to some more albums at any given time, right? Win!!!
    3. This will be added by Sprint or a third party VERY soon after launch.
    4. Wack arguing point that somehow gives an advantage to iPhone due to...metaphysics? PalmOS is an even steadier, app-laden platform than iPhone/OSX. So what?
    5. Last time I checked, Sprint commercials are all over the place, so they most certainly CAN afford to advertise, but are declining to for now due to the limited inventory. I still don't understand how a company's advertising budget helps my phone or PDA work better...
    6. Would be a big negative...if it wasn't launching on a domestic carrier. Again, has nothing to do with the Sprint Pre specifically.
    7. Yup. Smaller device. Which I like actually. The iPhone is kinda big for my pockets. I have an iPod Touch 16GB. I always hand carry it if I bring it anywhere. Good device...wish it fit in the hand better.
    8. Don't care about this at all. You might as well ding iTunes for not direct syncing with another media program. I'm tired of Apple trying to sneak their programs on my machine because I simply use iTunes anyway.
    9. Actually, it's meant to be limited toward ANY desktop. That's the point of the whole cloud thingy, y'know?
    10. LOL. Rather be stuck with them than AT&T, a financially successful company with a 3G network that fails during most stress tests (e.g. Coachella, Lollapalooza) and drops calls left and right in my major metropolitan city. Again, how does a company's balance sheet get me clearer calls or faster data?

I kinda wish you would. Very funny stuff.

Buddy, Sprint doesn't need expansion. It NEEDS contraction because they allowed themselves to get too big and unprofitable with the Nextel acquisition. AT&T needs expansion simply to reliably meet claims of having a nationwide 3G network. If you want to pay extra for that, great. Again, you criticize Sprint, CDMA, and almost everything else under the sun BUT the phone. It's very telling.

Well, I don't measure how good a device is by market share or how cool it comes off to my friends or how many people switched to get it. None of those things help deliver clearer calls, faster data, or a better user experience.

You should continue to enjoy your iPhone 3G. It's a nice device and OS (just not for me), and it's produced some great changes in this industry. But please end the fiction that you seriously considered a new Sprint Palm phone for more than a few seconds. That's not possible given your assertions here.

BURN!

...from that 70's show
    Firefinder24 - Dude! That's a great logo! LOL... poverty we can believe in! Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    AT&T nervous- not a chance.
    1. Pre- Can't go on Internet and call at the same time. Same for email. Really bad. Deal killer for me.
    2. Pre- Only 8 gig memory- new iPhone rumored to have 32. Just my music takes up 5 gigs.
    3. Pre- No visual voicemail.
    4. Pre- a 1.0 device that is totally unproven as of yet.
    5. Palm can't hardly afford to advertise, nor can Sprint.
    6. Pre- A CDMA device- can't use in most countries overseas.
    7. Pre- smaller screen.
    8. Pre- no itunes direct syncing.
    9. Pre- Limited Mac compatibility. Will have to buy Mark Space.
    10. Pre- stuck with Sprint, a struggling co. losing lots of money.
    11. Pre- no ability to touch screen type when one does not want to use the hard keyboard.
    you have some valid points and some that have no effect to the end user... i'm no fan boy.... if sprint had the iphone i would be using one now but i would still trade it in for a pre for synergy, multi tasking and a physical keyboard.... but thats just me... i went over you list and gave non fan boy or angry replies

1. valid and could be a deal breaker for some
    2. valid if some1 is a avid music listener
    3. do a lil research..... possibly something better then visually voicmail..... where you'll see some of the text of the voice mail b4 u listen to it
    4. valid... for some what valid but not a deal breaker
    5. has no effect on you end user at all.... kind of stupid to even mention when you have other valid points
    6. valid if you travel out of the US
    7. has it advantages so it can be a + or a -
    8. if you hate itunes like me it's a plus... drag and drop is way simpler then being forced to use more software
    9. read up..... doesn't need to be desktop to compatible (mac or pc) period. syncs important info with out a computers and large files like music and video can back up with your mac via usb storage
    10. no effect on the end user unless we get stock in the company when we sign a contract
    11. valid fo a month or so but wont be valid for the duration of your contract.... it's better to start with a physical keyboard and have the possibility to add a onscreen keyboard.... you'll never be able to add a physical keyboard to a phone that doesn't have one
    Last edited by Str8addicted; 05/25/2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typos.... many of them...lol
    I love the Pre as much as anyone, but this is just plain stupid. When you need to type something in, the keyboard appears. When your done, it goes away. On the Pre, you will be looking at your fingers when you type anyway.
    Nothing stupid about it, but I can see how you'd be confused.

I look at the screen when I type...you know, to see the letters appearing and to see that I've spelled words correctly. And because I like to post at a message board or two, it's especially handy to see posts you're responding to as you type. But according to your reasoning, you'd be fine with the keyboard taking up the entire screen except for the exact word you're typing. If that works for you, great. I wouldn't call it stupid.

Well, not exactly...
    Look, I'm not trying to be a troublemaker and I see your point of view. I do want to have an open mind so let me know what you thing the main thngs are that you believe favors the Pre and I'll legitimately consider them
    Honestly, I'm not trying to convert your or anyone else. There are very few objective advantages to either device. It just comes down to what works best for you. Having a hardware keyboard works best for me. Having a multitasking OS works best for me. Having a phone on Sprint works best for me.

If you live in area where AT&T coverage is the best, and you don't mind paying more and maybe there's an iPhone app or two you really love...why switch? Enjoy your iPhone. It's a very cool device for a lot of people. I'm not one of them, but I also don't need to assail it to make me feel better about (currently) having an Instinct S30 or getting a Pre when it ships.
    I agree with most everything Mikah912 says... however, I do take exception with the following: "Sprint doesn't need expansion. It NEEDS contraction because they allowed themselves to get too big and unprofitable with the Nextel acquisition."

The Sprint - Nextel "merger of equals" was a farce. Sprint was unequalled in their debt load. Nextel was unequalled on their ARPU - Average Revenue Per User. While in theory that merger should have built on the successes of both companies - Sprint's NETWORK and Nextel's FOCUS, the Sprint CEO of the time lacked the ability to prioritize his vision of the future. Virtually, the CEO of Sprint at the time ran off the former CEO of Nextel and tried to cannibalize the iDEN customers by cutting the iDEN budget for maintenance and killing the expansion budget in hopes of converting them to the CDMA network.

The Nextel customers took affront by that & rightfully so. They saw it as Sprint killing off their ability to communicate with their employees in a cost effective manner while offering no comparable cost solution for them... COST IS KEY HERE. The old CEOs tried to be all things to all customers.... ON CDMA.... with no cost consideration to small businesses using Nextel solutions.

Dan, Sprint's new CEO is FOCUSED. Dan gets that the customer wants reliable service, pervasive Data availability, VALUE, and the insatiable desire for SPEED.... oh yeah, and cool devices on the cheap.

You CANNOT be ALL things to all customers. Dan has chosen to focus on the first four. And, the metrics are beginning to show it registers with customers. GO SPRINT and GO PALM PRE!!!!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    1. Pre- Can't go on Internet and call at the same time. Same for email. Really bad. Deal killer for me.
    2. Pre- Only 8 gig memory- new iPhone rumored to have 32. Just my music takes up 5 gigs.
    7. Pre- smaller screen.
    11. Pre- no ability to touch screen type when one does not want to use the hard keyboard.

I could go on and on. The only advantage I see with the Pre is multi-tasking. While nice, that's not a deal killer for me. I know others will say the Sprint 3G network is superior. I haven't found AT&T to be lacking at all, and Gizmodo found, at least here in North Carolina, that AT&T's 3G was far faster than Sprint. Plus, AT&T is rapidly investing right now in additional capacity for the new iPhone. Sprint can't even hardly afford to expand given their losses and poor financial condition. Wimax is where all their money is going now and the Pre it not WIMAX capable.

I have spent the last week trying diligently to figure out if I wanted a Pre and looked at every angle I could, but have become convinced to keep my iPhone 3G. I think the new iPhone will have features that further distance the iPhone from the Pre. Sorry, but I think the main purchasers of the Pre will be Palm owners already on Sprint.

The Pre will be good for Sprint in that it keeps the current Sprint customers on the Palm from leaving, but don't look for it to cause Sprint to resume growth.
    Fresh from Jobestown, all filled up on the Apple kool-aid Nice

Your post looks disturbingly like a copy/paste (probably not pasted from an iphone!) of AT&T's thoroughly discussed and criticized doctrinization memo:
    h**p://***.engadget.com/2009/04/22/leaked-atandt-doc-slams-the-palm-pre/ (sadly I can't post a link yet :P )

For every one of you there is, my odds of successfully obtaining a Pre on launch day goes up
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I don't look at my fingers while typing on my treo. I can feel the keys and I know what I'm pressing.
    me too. very helpful when driving. Well I'm told it is. Not that I personally ever do that...
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    I don't look at my fingers while typing on my treo. I can feel the keys and I know what I'm pressing.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    This thread is really annoying. Accept that neither the Pre or iPhone is for everyone, that many people are biased, and move on.

Oh, and as far as the thread title: AT&T IS nervous. They're having their Android phone have a small screen, crappy resolution and tacking their AT&T UI onto it so that it doesn't cannibalize iPhone sales. They're watching the competition. I won't be surprised if they attempt to mess up WebOs.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Let's see,
    first half of 2009 ended up being June 6.
    That means second half 09 = Nov 6
    I bet "they'll" wait until the very last minute (day), it'll probably be Dec. 06, 2009.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Quote Originally Posted by pre4ential treatment View Post
    I agree with most everything Mikah912 says... however, I do take exception with the following: "Sprint doesn't need expansion. It NEEDS contraction because they allowed themselves to get too big and unprofitable with the Nextel acquisition."

The Sprint - Nextel "merger of equals" was a farce. Sprint was unequalled in their debt load. Nextel was unequalled on their ARPU - Average Revenue Per User. While in theory that merger should have built on the successes of both companies - Sprint's NETWORK and Nextel's FOCUS, the Sprint CEO of the time lacked the ability to prioritize his vision of the future. Virtually, the CEO of Sprint at the time ran off the former CEO of Nextel and tried to cannibalize the iDEN customers by cutting the iDEN budget for maintenance and killing the expansion budget in hopes of converting them to the CDMA network.

The Nextel customers took affront by that & rightfully so. They saw it as Sprint killing off their ability to communicate with their employees in a cost effective manner while offering no comparable cost solution for them... COST IS KEY HERE. The old CEOs tried to be all things to all customers.... ON CDMA.... with no cost consideration to small businesses using Nextel solutions.

Dan, Sprint's new CEO is FOCUSED. Dan gets that the customer wants reliable service, pervasive Data availability, VALUE, and the insatiable desire for SPEED.... oh yeah, and cool devices on the cheap.

You CANNOT be ALL things to all customers. Dan has chosen to focus on the first four. And, the metrics are beginning to show it registers with customers. GO SPRINT and GO PALM PRE!!!!
    Excellent post, and thanks for the correction/input.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    me too. very helpful when driving. Well I'm told it is. Not that I personally ever do that...
    I sure hope I don't happen to run into whoever told you at a stop sign on the road...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    hmmmm... I have heard that IT CAN GO ON THE NET WHILE ON A CALL. One of the sprint people in the sprint pre forum (the official one) corrected someone on that the other day. They said the "older" phones could not but the newer smart phones running on sprint's g3 network can (the newer instinct and the pre) But i guess we really wont know untill they get it out to the masses. It might not, but I have heard both things and the only official thing i have heard from anyone at sprint was that it could.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djdisturbed View Post
    hmmmm... I have heard that IT CAN GO ON THE NET WHILE ON A CALL. One of the sprint people in the sprint pre forum (the official one) corrected someone on that the other day. They said the "older" phones could not but the newer smart phones running on sprint's g3 network can (the newer instinct and the pre) But i guess we really wont know untill they get it out to the masses. It might not, but I have heard both things and the only official thing i have heard from anyone at sprint was that it could.
    I hope you're right.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    Fresh from Jobestown, all filled up on the Apple kool-aid Nice

Your post looks disturbingly like a copy/paste (probably not pasted from an iphone!) of AT&T's thoroughly discussed and criticized doctrinization memo:
    h**p://***.engadget.com/2009/04/22/leaked-atandt-doc-slams-the-palm-pre/ (sadly I can't post a link yet :P )

For every one of you there is, my odds of successfully obtaining a Pre on launch day goes up
    Not cut and paste- just deliberate effort to figure out what I want to do. Not an Apple fan boy- Apple's ticked me off a number of times- their current new laptops won't work right with large external monitors and they're completely deaf to the issue. Will be the first to go to the Pre if it looks good. I may get it and keep the iPhone and then decide.
    Please get your rumors straight. No one has said you can't do both at the same time. The rumor, and it is only a rumor, is that if you want to do both at the same time, the internet part has to be through wifi.

Only 8 GB, like the equal-priced, equal-memory iPhone, you mean? Sure, if you want to pay more, there are other options. If your music only takes up 5 GB, you should be in great shape, as multimedia is the only real memory hog. Everything else should easliy fit in 1-2 GB more.

Anyway, I think you are missing that the Pre is leveraging cloud computing, where your stuff doesn't have to be stored in the device. Have you ever heard of buffered streaming?

This is a nice rumor, possibly true, possibly not. I have seen no official word from Palm or Sprint on this.

AT&T is not nervous, because the Pre is a 1.0 device? Uh, OK.

Palm has said they won't be advertising heavily because they expect a complete sell-out of inventory without it. The Pre sells itself.

By the way, it's "can hardly," not "can't hardly."

The Pre device in the U.S. is CDMA. The GSM device is expected to be released in the U.K. and other countries in a few months. If you want GSM, you can buy the GSM Pre when it comes out.

7. Pre- smaller screen.
    They are very similar -- the pre is .4" smaller. The overall shape ismore important, as the Pre actually fits nicely in your pocket, not like a huge, inflexible rectangle.

The touchable area actually goes beyond the borders of the visual screen.

Amazon is just as easy and has offered DRM-free music for much longer. Also, I would certainly expect an iTunes client, for those that really want one.

You won't need to sync with any computer, Mac or PC, so this is a non sequitur.

Sprint consistently is rated as the best performing network.

Ha, ha. Good one.

I could go on and on. The only advantage I see with the Pre is multi-tasking.
    Physical keyboard
    Multitasking
    Cards
    Synergy with Facebook
    Synergy with Google
    Auto-updated contacts
    Universal search
    Standard headphone jack
    Cut and Paste
    Removable battery
    Gestures beyond screen
    Dashboard notification (no interruption)
    Synergy messaging
    Linux kernel
    Superior 3G network
    Lower pricing for standard unlimited voice and data

I could go on and on.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast