Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, what do you all think? The FIFTEEN invisible man videos seem to show up practically everything on the Pre. Well, OK, most everything. I must say the interface is sweet and simple. I'm psyched.
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    No demonstration of the music player. No demonstration of multi-touch.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    True enough, but I am mainly talking about the interface. Just stating that I think it is very simple; extremely intuitive. That's a good thing!
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I agree. He was obviously not familiar with the emulator at first, and was simply breezing through it with such ease that I had to go take a cold shower.
    Some options are generally removed from emulators for SDK's... well alphas at least.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    That is because the SDK doesn't currently support either. No sound or multitouch. The reason why Palm wanted to keep the SDK out of the hands of developers was that they wanted to improve it and roll out a full SDK. The guy that released the SDK videos is a fool in my opinion. His desire for attention released videos of an unfinished product. Palm's final product will be much better than you see in these videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    That is because the SDK doesn't currently support either. No sound or multitouch. The reason why Palm wanted to keep the SDK out of the hands of developers was that they wanted to improve it and roll out a full SDK. The guy that released the SDK videos is a fool in my opinion. His desire for attention released videos of an unfinished product. Palm's final product will be much better than you see in these videos.
    I was going to say that the SDK isnt the final product. And its obvious because the sign in process seemed different than what Doc had posted (he had a hands on video and pics of the most recent Pre that an Advocate had).
    Agreed with the above.

Additionally, the purpose of an SDK is to make sure whatever you write will run on it, not to show off all the features of the phone to the public. A lot of crap isn't necessary in an SDK, I'd wager..
    How exactly are you suppose to demo multi-touch on a computer screen? I'm just wondering.
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    I agree. I love the contacts video because he scrolls through his facebook friends list in its entirety. I would be willing to bet that his buddy that leaked the SDK/Emulator to him is on that list.

Expect retribution soon.
    I think you are misunderstanding...

I just think it could have been done in a more low-profile way.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    True enough, but I am mainly talking about the interface. Just stating that I think it is very simple; extremely intuitive. That's a good thing!
    well, i think with the gesture area and all the pre is actually less intuitive then an iphone if you don't know how to use it (invisibleman knew how to use it since he is a pre-addict like us)
    But I do consider this as a great advantage of the pre. the first week it might take some getting used to, but after that it will be amazing, and you can browse trough the interface much faster with just simple gestures.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    So, what do you all think? The FIFTEEN invisible man videos seem to show up practically everything on the Pre. Well, OK, most everything. I must say the interface is sweet and simple. I'm psyched.
    Go Cougars!

I hope that doesn't mean you will be competing with me for a Pre at the same store!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    well, i think with the gesture area and all the pre is actually less intuitive then an iphone if you don't know how to use it (invisibleman knew how to use it since he is a pre-addict like us)
    But I do consider this as a great advantage of the pre. the first week it might take some getting used to, but after that it will be amazing, and you can browse trough the interface much faster with just simple gestures.
    I fundamentally disagree about it being less intuitive. Rather, I think the gestures make the phone more intuitive. It's akin to mouse gestures in Firefox, or multi-touch gestures on Mac laptops (if you have one and aren't using multi-clutch, you are doing yourself a disservice): Once you start using them, it's hard to go back to anything else. Swipe to go back or forward, swipe to toss an app- it all makes perfect sense. It's certainly not as straight-forward as the iPhone's take on UI, but 200% better, if you ask me. Straight-forward≠intuitive.

What I like is that Palm has really thought about a lot of things- one example is application settings. On the iPhone, individual application settings are buried in the settings panel; retarded. The fact that something simple as that is logical and intuitive makes me want this phone all the more.
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    How exactly are you suppose to demo multi-touch on a computer screen? I'm just wondering.
    Oh, I don't know... Get a computer screen that is multi-touch capable?

Touch Screen Tablet PC - Dell Latitude XT
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    I fundamentally disagree about it being less intuitive. Rather, I think the gestures make the phone more intuitive. It's akin to mouse gestures in Firefox, or multi-touch gestures on Mac laptops (if you have one and aren't using multi-clutch, you are doing yourself a disservice): Once you start using them, it's hard to go back to anything else. Swipe to go back or forward, swipe to toss an app- it all makes perfect sense. It's certainly not as straight-forward as the iPhone's take on UI, but 200% better, if you ask me. Straight-forward≠intuitive.

What I like is that Palm has really thought about a lot of things- one example is application settings. On the iPhone, individual application settings are buried in the settings panel; retarded. The fact that something simple as that is logical and intuitive makes me want this phone all the more.
    well, then I guess it's a personal thing. I tried to use the mouse gestures in firefox but I stopped using it because I didn't find it intuitive.
    i wish there was a "thank" button for the invisible man...because those videos were great to watch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    Get developers who have multitouch screens like my Latitude XT, XT2, HP Touchsmart, e.t.c.
    First let me say that even those discussing what the SDK doesn't have are probably violating any NDA in place, just as much as those exposing what is in the SDK.

In any case, emulators can easily "emulate" hardware features not actually present on the development platform. For example, a mouse drag is or even a keypress can be a gesture. Tap is a mouse click. Multipoint gestures like a pinch are typically point centric so a right click could on a point could be a pinch to zoom in on a point and a shift right click could zoom out.

Even things like tilting the pre can be emulated by using siders/scrollbars to orient the device image in the emulator on X, Y, and Z axises or a dial control to do just 2D rotations. A slider can even be used to emulate the ambient light sensor and proximity sensor levels, webcam hooked up to emulate camera, etc. Software developers have been doing this for years to develop software before the hardware becomes available.

And a good simulator also lets this stuff be done through scripts so the regression testing of the software can be performed automatically.

Now I'm not saying the pre emulator does any of this stuff or not. Nor am I suggesting it does anything in one of the ways I mentioned. I'm just saying it could and probable should emulate the entire device by the time the SDK is publicly released.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Get developers who have multitouch screens like my Latitude XT, XT2, HP Touchsmart, e.t.c.
    Does the emulator support multi-touch?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast