Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As far as I know the Pre doesn't have a notification LED similar to Blackberry's and many WinMo devices. Does anybody know how missed notifications will be displayed, if at all, while the screen is off? Or is turning the device on the only way to check?
    good question. if i saw it i can't remember. missed call?
  3.    #3  
    I remember seeing in a video somewhere that the gesture area has some sort of light that flashes to let you know you made a successful gesture... maybe it doubles as the notification LED? That's my guess.
    I'm kind of bummed about lack of led for notifications. Ill miss that from my blackberry. I've yet to hear anything on how the pre handles this.
    That is a very good question! I know from the videos from here that there is a way to turn the notifications on and off when your phone is not in use but I don't know if you have to some how "wake" the phone in order to see that you have missed calls, etc. If there aren't any notification "lights" maybe your phone will do a little "jig" in your pocket until you check to see what's going on. No lights equals vibration alerts to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    I remember seeing in a video somewhere that the gesture area has some sort of light that flashes to let you know you made a successful gesture... maybe it doubles as the notification LED? That's my guess.
    nah probably a little card will appear saying -

1 Missed Call

which you will click and it will take you to -

Missed Calls
    Joe Blow - (212) 555-1212
    I believe the screen will wake for notifications, there was a setting for it in a video. Not sure what it will actually look like though.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    I'm kind of bummed about lack of led for notifications. Ill miss that from my blackberry. I've yet to hear anything on how the pre handles this.
    Most definitely bummed about the LED. Palm has steadily taken away control of the LED over the years from developers. The LED and alerting/reminder capabilities of the Palm devices was a major reason why I have like them. What about a speaker on/off switch? Is that on the Pre?

Joe
    The ringer switch is on the Pre.
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I vote that the gesture area blinks when your unattended Pre gets a notification.
    I thought the Pre's screen would display, in low power mode, some notification message. Maybe the proximity sensor would enable it, so there's even less battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasint View Post
    What about a speaker on/off switch? Is that on the Pre?
    Like dcoaster said, you can use the volume switch.

Hey, you're from Coconut Creek? Our first home was on Lyons Road.
    Good times.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    You can set the phone to have a small vibrate whenever you get an email or text message, so if it's in your pocket, you'll know you have a notification.
    ^^^
    Nice!

/edit: some more content; I wonder if instead of vibrating the night away (it could be irritating late at night, and you don't want to (or can't) get up) the Pre would just show a low power message on the screen, triggered by the proximity sensor when you pick it up.

I would say it's less battery drain than running the vibrator piece.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    ^^^
    Nice!

/edit: some more content; I wonder if instead of vibrating the night away (it could be irritating late at night, and you don't want to (or can't) get up) the Pre would just show a low power message on the screen, triggered by the proximity sensor when you pick it up.

I would say it's less battery drain than running the vibrator piece.
    It's smart enough to known not to vibrate when, for example, on the touchstone charging, where screen stays on with low brightness so you can actually see any notifications on the screen.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    This thread is a typical example of how we argue about unknown features. Seems like the majority of traffic here is arguing about speculation.

This is a tough crowd, they don't believe it unless they see it. Even when a question gets settled, it take a while to end the arguments.

If Pre can make it here, it can make it anywhere. Every time I see how Palm has implemented a feature, I am very impressed. I guess I trust that they will do a good job until I see otherwise.

I'm a half full guy. Most here seem to be all empty guys.

If one where to do a study on this forum, after all the features are known, about the percentage of arguments about features we don't know about that would be most enlightening. I think some of us will be somewhat embarrassed about some of our posts in a short while.

Even so, Palm can get useful input on desired feature sets is they filter discussions here.

The Pre has enough features that it will probably take a series of reviews to cover it all.

Expectantly waiting for my Uberphone!
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    You can set the phone to have a small vibrate whenever you get an email or text message, so if it's in your pocket, you'll know you have a notification.
    Would there be any settings for that? Do you know how long it takes for the next vibrate and how long it would last in total? Thanks.
  18. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Well, even if it doesn't have a notification light in the gesture area (which I will definitely miss from my Curve), I'm sure a developer can whip up an app that'll enable that function. That's the beauty of the WebOS.
    Last edited by Ya Boi D; 05/24/2009 at 04:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Would there be any settings for that? Do you know how long it takes for the next vibrate and how long it would last in total? Thanks.
    For email, each account can have separate settings. There is a setting, when you get new email, to vibrate, play sound, and/or turn on the screen for a couple seconds to show the notification. The vibrate itselft is about one second long. I'm not sure how long it takes between vibrates.
    It would be cool if they used the lights in the gesture area for different notifications. left of the centre button can be 1 notification, centre button can be another one, right can be the final one and then let you choose which alert gets which LED. Only problem with that is flashing LEDs are annoying as hell when you're trying to go to sleep (especially blue ones (stupid m1330.))
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast