Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Hi Guys,

I just wanted your thoughts and my thinking of purchasing the PRE at launch rather than waiting...

Benefits:
    1. PALM die-hard fans can finally be proud, take their phones out of their pocket and show off to people rather than hiding their big old PALM phones.
    2. You get a new toy that will be able to replace the nagging wife.
    3. You will immediately not have the same phone as every other person around you has (ahem iphone).
    4. You can tell your friends and family the camping stories you will have waiting in line down the street in front of the sprint store.
    5. I can get a PRE, do a review on Precentral.net for all my fellow PALMers and give back to the community.

Cons:
    1. Potential early build model issues.
    2. May possibly be screwed by PALM if they release a 16GB to compete with the new iphone.
    3. Pay a higher price of 199 when it may come down in price to 149 in a month or two.
    4. Deplete supplies of PRE even with their low supply at launch and allow PALM to make customers pay a premium to get a PRE or wait longer which some may not be able to do.
    5. Lose the "oh so nice" SERO (actually I don't have it so to me it is not a problem).
    6. You may need to wait in line with the thousands of college kids that will want the PRE if they don't have the iphone. Sometimes this maybe a benefit and sometimes it can be a nighmare when the doors open.

I think the PRE looks great, and I definitely would like one, but I am stuck and would like to know what you guys think...

Cheers
    I think if you are an early adopter be prepared to deal with at least a few hopefully minor issues and be willing to wait a bit for some features not available at launch. If you go into it with that understanding, it will lessen some of the headaches.
    It could be just a gloating factor. Just being the first to have something highly anticipated, and seeing how envious others will be over you. Remember Elementary, when you came to school rockin the newest hottest toy, and you instantly became popular, and could say, "NO, you can't play with it", But let little betty-sue in her training bra, play with it.

I'm sure there ARE other reasons, but that's one of the main one. I mean, Why else does anyone want anything when it first comes out, and it's highly anticipated? Purely for the status factor, IMO.
    Because "potential isues" aren't going to scare me away into waiting even longer.

Plus, losing Sero isn't a launch issue, you might not need to wait in line and it's not like $199 is a super high premium price.

Additionally, with OTA updates, the only risk we're taking is build quality and if it is crap Sprint should replace it.
    1. we all want the latest and greatest.
    2. we all want what we think we cant have.
    3. we all have been waiting years for a new palm os with real powerful hardware.
    4. we all want to play with power.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Because "potential isues" aren't going to scare me away into waiting even longer.
    Yeah, That too. Again, Think of the Nintendo Wii.
    Still don't understand how they could build an optical disc based system and not make it a DVD player. How perfect would the Wii be if it was at least a 720p upscaling dvd player.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Yeah, That too. Again, Think of the Nintendo Wii.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Here's my counter points:

Benefits Counter-points

1. But I like my big old Palm phone. It shows all those Centro users how far ahead of them I was...
    2. Good point, but I don't want to replace my wife, besides she doesn't nag me...
    3. There's one we agree on. I'm already practicing saying "Isn't that the old iPhone?"
    4. Nah, no camping, just going to walk in and get the one they've got for me.
    5. Another agreed point!

Cons Counter-points

1. I'm banking that Palm deliberately ran this one through the wringer to get it rock solid. They have a lot riding on this one...
    2. See #2 in the first list. Keep the wife around. Give her your phone. Get the new 16gb model. She'll quit nagging, and you'll be happy.
    3. I don't think the Pre is going to drop in price until a bigger model is introduced. See #2...
    4. I kinda like the sound of this one. Helps offset the sting of being an early adopter
    5. I don't have it so to me it is not a problem. Oh wait, you already said that didn't you? Actually, I have a lot of sympathy for the SERO whiners. No, really I do. Serously, I do. Quit rolling your eyes...
    6. I'm still counting on the salesman at the store who said he'd hold one for me. If that doesn't work, I have a friend that has a device that makes obnoxious noises and odors. I'm looking into that to cut down the size of the line.
    I been in need of a new phone for about 8 months now and this is the only great phone sprint has. So there wasn't any choices. I want it on launch because I just DO.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Still don't understand how they could build an optical disc based system and not make it a DVD player. How perfect would the Wii be if it was at least a 720p upscaling dvd player.
    Licensing money, Nintendo is cheap. I know, it's lame.
    The biggest reason to wait, IMHO, is because this is a totally new device, not an upgrade of a known platform. There's BOUND to be some growing pains. How severe will these pains be? Will some be "deal breakers"? Sure would be nice to know before you actually own it!

Recently I've cooled off slightly on the Pre. Here's what's surfaced that is giving me pause:

No video recording. My Treo 650 did this. How does the Pre NOT do it?!

No simultaneous voice + data. For me, the whole point of 3G is not the speed. It's being able to get or send email while I'm talking on the phone. It's a prime reason I left T-Mobile for AT&T. There's plenty to hate about AT&T, but my BlackBerry Bold makes it tolerable.

Free GPS. I hear contradictory things about this on Sprint. Currently with my BlackBerry I can fire up Google Maps or BlackBerry Maps and use the GPS for free. I only pay if I want spoken turn-by-turn directions. Mapping, route planning, and listed turn-by-turn directions are all part of my basic data plan.

Savings are not what I originally though they'd be. I now pay $90 per month for unlimited email + unlimited data ($30), unlimited text and mms messaging ($20), and 450 minutes with rollover ($40) that I never use up. On the Pre with a single-user Everything plan I will spend $70 per month, possibly without GPS.

These things have made me reconsider ditching AT&T and BlackBerry until I get some clarification. It makes it easier to wait out the initial crush at launch and watch for the early reviews. I'll make a more informed decision later.
    plain and simple for me..... my current phones sucks...... i own a instinct
    GPS is included with the Sprint Everything plans I believe.
    My reason will be so as I fly by Manny in his Camaro.. Ill just hold the Pre out the window

I'm wondering 2 things here. There was a video from CES that said the Pre might have recording by launch, or they were working on it - If I remember right.
    Could it come in an OTA update?
    The other thing- since the Pre does this cloud syncing, that would use a lot of bandwidth. Maybe Sprint is reluctant to have every Pre owner sharing 10 minute videos of their unboxing. Nevermind that you would have to have the phone out already to film said event.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I'm getting it now because I'm a long-time Palm user. I've been tempted by the iPhone for a while, but don't want to switch to AT&T. Having the first real alternative to the iPhone also be able to run my old Palm apps makes me willing to switch now.
    The Goat needs his Pre day 1 to show the little city of Kerrville that I am the most tech savvy Goat in the world. Then they can all bow and worship me like they should.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Because it's supposed to be better than the iPhone. I'll order it and see if I like it, if not it goes back to Sprint and I'll keep my iPhone and att. It's a win-win, if I like it then I've found something better, if not then I have the best (for me). Anything new is going to have it's faults here and there. That's what is so great about being able to update your phone. On a side note, I can try out the Pre with a default phone number that Sprint assigns me and if I decide (within 30 days) to keep it I can call back and port my att number over, Right? I don't have to port my number over when I order?
    My Sprint contract ended 2 weeks ago, so the timing is perfect.
    When I left VZW for Sprint 2 years ago, there was the first talk of the new Palm OS and that it was 2 years away, I thought, hopefully, by then, it would be out.
    I guessed right.
    Hearing everything the Pre can do, I'm ready to retire my 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post

I'm wondering 2 things here. There was a video from CES that said the Pre might have recording by launch, or they were working on it - If I remember right.
    Could it come in an OTA update?
    The other thing- since the Pre does this cloud syncing, that would use a lot of bandwidth. Maybe Sprint is reluctant to have every Pre owner sharing 10 minute videos of their unboxing. Nevermind that you would have to have the phone out already to film said event.
    If you've been here since 2004, you should know how the ropes work on a message board. Please do more research before you ask a question or series of questions that have beaten to death.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast