Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Because it's supposed to be better than the iPhone. I'll order it and see if I like it, if not it goes back to Sprint and I'll keep my iPhone and att. It's a win-win, if I like it then I've found something better, if not then I have the best (for me). Anything new is going to have it's faults here and there. That's what is so great about being able to update your phone. On a side note, I can try out the Pre with a default phone number that Sprint assigns me and if I decide (within 30 days) to keep it I can call back and port my att number over, Right? I don't have to port my number over when I order?
    The answer seems to be yes. I plan on doing the same thing and the answer I got was that you can port over a number anytime you want. I don't know if it might help telling them this at first when buying a Pre to get a temporary number.
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    1. PALM die-hard fans can finally be proud, take their phones out of their pocket and show off to people rather than hiding their big old PALM phones.
    That's why I got the Centro, even though it was functionally identical to my 755p (but with less battery life and poorer sound quality). Never again will I endure a phone that I have to wear on my belt.

1. Potential early build model issues.
    2. May possibly be screwed by PALM if they release a 16GB to compete with the new iphone.
    3. Pay a higher price of 199 when it may come down in price to 149 in a month or two.
    Welcome to life. New purchases depreciate and obsolesce. There's always something cooler, cheaper and more powerful on the horizon. If there are build issues with the Pre, I'll return or replace it.

4. Deplete supplies of PRE even with their low supply at launch and allow PALM to make customers pay a premium to get a PRE or wait longer which some may not be able to do.
    The Pre isn't exactly a Prius. "Waiting longer" means a few extra days, or a couple of weeks max.

5. Lose the "oh so nice" SERO (actually I don't have it so to me it is not a problem).
    If I were on SERO, I would wait until all of the device's issues were known. As the Sprint internal memos make clear, once you're off of SERO, there's no going back.

6. You may need to wait in line with the thousands of college kids that will want the PRE if they don't have the iphone. Sometimes this maybe a benefit and sometimes it can be a nighmare when the doors open.
    Crowds don't bother me. I like people.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    No video recording. My Treo 650 did this. How does the Pre NOT do it?!
    I'm not happy the lack of video recording, but when I thought about my actual usage, I've probably used the video capture on my 755p, Centro and Instinct 4 or 5 times between all of them. I'm not telling you that you don't "need" video recording, but it's worth spending a moment reflecting on your actual usage patterns.

Free GPS. I hear contradictory things about this on Sprint. Currently with my BlackBerry I can fire up Google Maps or BlackBerry Maps and use the GPS for free. I only pay if I want spoken turn-by-turn directions. Mapping, route planning, and listed turn-by-turn directions are all part of my basic data plan.
    GPS is included on all Everything Plans, with TBT directions through Sprint Navigation (Telenav). Like everyone, I've had issues with the Instinct, but the GPS functionality on it was exceptional, especially compared to my Treo Pro, with its smaller screen.

Savings are not what I originally though they'd be. I now pay $90 per month for unlimited email + unlimited data ($30), unlimited text and mms messaging ($20), and 450 minutes with rollover ($40) that I never use up. On the Pre with a single-user Everything plan I will spend $70 per month, possibly without GPS.
    The $70 Everything Data Plan would get you everything you list except for rollover minutes. For $90, you can get the plan I'm on, Everything Data 900, with 900 minutes a month. As a B of A customer I get an additional 27% discount, so it's actually cheaper than the 450 package.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Think I'm going to wait! That is a big switch in the last 3 days! I am pretty happy with my Centro although I have gotten every new Palm upon launch, I not sure the Pre will do all that I do on the Centro. I used the 650 and now the Centro to listen to Audible Books and get the the Wall Street Journal automatically downloaded to both of those phones every morning which makes very convienient to listen to during my commute. I have been unable to get an answer as to the availability of AudibleAir for the Pre to make all that happen. On top of that I am Grandfathered in to a great plan that gives me everything that I will lose by going to Everything Data. That will cost me $30 a month. On top of that all the negatives that have mentioned above has me thinking to wait for the next retread.
    I have always wanted and iphone but I just could not take AT&T anymore. I am much happier with Sprint. Now I get the best of both worlds, a so called iphone equal and a great plan.

Plus I have never really had a cool phone before everyone else. I did however have one of the very first Acura RSX's when they came out back in 2002 and the looks I got was awesome.

I want one mainly for the excitement of having one and it will make my wife happy.
    I just want a new phone.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    I'm replacing my POS Touch Pro. What freaking phone freezes while charging? Only windows mobile. And I wanna show off the Pre to all my iPhone friends and their overpriced At&t plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    Benefits:
    1. PALM die-hard fans can finally be proud, take their phones out of their pocket and show off to people rather than hiding their big old PALM phones.
    4. You can tell your friends and family the camping stories you will have waiting in line down the street in front of the sprint store.

Cons:
    4. Deplete supplies of PRE even with their low supply at launch and allow PALM to make customers pay a premium to get a PRE or wait longer which some may not be able to do.
    This.

I've been waiting since like 2004 for this freakin' Linux-based, multitasking, smartphone OS from Palm. Five years is LONG time. Decent hardware's been around for awhile, but PalmOS couldn't control it well enough... and they knew that, so they had to start selling Palms with the WinMo platform.

Palm outdid themselves now (just took 'em a while) with such a fast machine based on a well thought out design, so much that I probly will be camping out just to get one at launch. I hear it could take 4 to 6 weeks for stores to get shipments in, and I reeaallly don't wanna wait that long.

ALSO, the quicker you get the phone... the quicker you get to upgrade, since most EP plans (*not* EPRP plans, tho) will qualify your line for the full $150 upgrade credit after only 12-mos. So, I'll be able to get the Pre2 with 32GB of storage next June.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I really want a smartphone that can replace my Palm TX and my VX8300 - both of which I love and have the ability to connect to email etc without Wi-Fi and have multiple apps open etc. It seems to have so many pluses for me.

I started this journey last year, waiting for the new iPhone and then knew it wasn't for me. Waited on the BB Storm and then knew it again was not for me with its myriad of issues. I was smitten with the Bold but wanted a touchscreen and a larger screen like my TX. Rim almost got me though, I have to say.

Then I heard about a Palm product that did not use the old Palm OS or Win Mobile and thought...wow that seems like a good fit. I'm anxious to get a smart phone and yet have the ability to use some of my Palm nursing/medical apps that I am used to. 3rd party classic app pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I'll probably pre-order if possible or online order as I suspect that going to Best Buy etc will be an effort in futility if stock is going to be that scarce.

Am I concerned about a 2 yr contract, leaving Verizon ? You betcha. Am I willing to wait another 6 mos, year etc, not really. So a long winded answer to a short question... I've waited long enough.

Dorothy
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    For some people its because the promise of a quality phone has been the ONLY thing keeping us loyal to Sprint and not jumping on the iPhone bandwagon.
    Last edited by Urkel; 05/24/2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Because I accidently sent my Centro through the washing machine.
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    It's a pretty neat device and sometimes its fun to be a first adopter.
    I have a Centro on a Simply Everything Plan. I like my Centro (no antenna, Palm OS, myriad applications).

I'm switching to update - GPS, screen size/resolution, 3.5mm headphones)

The real benefit to me is synergy. I suck at regularly syncing at home and at work. Add facebook/google to the mix and I'm terrible. Synergy promises to clean that up. That's worth the price of admission and the long lines. I could save more in productivity (and not being embarrassingly late to appointments) within a month.

I'll use all the other gee-whiz stuff (sensors, true HTML browsing, Loopt, multi-tasking), but it's synergy (and the prospect of a rebirth for Palm) that will get me to the Sprint store at least an hour before opening - no camping at my age.

I've been thinking about waiting, but for me, saving $50 is not reason enough. Given that firmware upgrades will be wireless and new applications available weekly, I'm sure I'll still be learning the phone as fixes and improvements become available. It'll be fully integrated into my life by fall and that's fine by me.

I do want visual voicemail, Flash, Exchange invites and some third-party calendars/task lists available soon. If it launches well, I'm sure that will happen.
    I've been waiting to buy a smartphone for about 4 months. I'm currently on AT&T, which I'm not married to, but didn't want an iphone (no hardware keyboard and pricey plan, although it's obviously the best smartphone currently out there) or a G1 (clunky, with iffy hardware keyboard and, so far, limited developer appeal).

I could wait for the Pre to come out on another carrier, but then I'll have already waited another 6 months. You can end up waiting forever this way. By 2010, some hot new phone will be revealed and I might be tempted to wait the another 6-8 months for it, when I actually want to have the functionality of a smartphone in the coming year.

And the sooner you sign up, the sooner your 2-year contract is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    No video recording. My Treo 650 did this. How does the Pre NOT do it?!

I'm wondering 2 things here. There was a video from CES that said the Pre might have recording by launch, or they were working on it - If I remember right.
    Could it come in an OTA update?
    The other thing- since the Pre does this cloud syncing, that would use a lot of bandwidth. Maybe Sprint is reluctant to have every Pre owner sharing 10 minute videos of their unboxing. Nevermind that you would have to have the phone out already to film said event.
    How would you film the unboxing of the pre with the pre... or why...
    As a phone Junkie (cool tech junkie actually) I simply HAVE to have the latest and greatest when it comes out(Its an addiction you see)

I stood in line for 12 Hours from 6am to 6pm for the 1st Gen Iphone (took the day off from the work)

I stood in line 2 1/2 hours for the ipHone 3G first day (tookm the day off work)

I WILL be getting up at 5am on the 6th to be first in line outside of my local Sprint Store waiting for them to open at 8 (I ahve already requested the day off)

I was actually PISSED that Best Buy Mobile employees cannot purchase it from Best Buy until August because our inventory will be so low. Me and another employee don't think its fair as we would be like any other customer (meaning no discounts or anything, we pay what all customers pay) but i'll eat the extra $100 bucks cause i'm an early adopter like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post
    but i'll eat the extra $100 bucks cause i'm an early adopter like that
    you mean you'll just wait for the rebate instead of getting the instant one. there's not 100 to eat, just the tax difference likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70
    The $70 Everything Data Plan would get you everything you list except for rollover minutes. For $90, you can get the plan I'm on, Everything Data 900, with 900 minutes a month. As a B of A customer I get an additional 27% discount, so it's actually cheaper than the 450 package.
    Say what now about being a BofA customer and 27% discount?!?!?!?!
    Kerrville, huh? I'm in San Antonio.

1. I want it because even though I love my Centro, I want a bigger screen and a better phone.
    2. I'm stuck with Sprint unless I want to pay about $1000 to cancel all my lines. I'm also stuck because every time you blink they extend your contract for 2 more years. So I figure, why fight it?
    3. I had thought that the iPhone and Instinct were interesting, but can't do without the physical keyboard and here is the solution. Plus apparently everyone who has an Instinct says it's a shiece of pit.
    4. Everything I have read about the Pre makes it seem totally badazz.
    5. And like others have said, who doesn't like to be the coolest kid on the block??

CAN'T WAIT!!!! 2 weeks from yesterday (unless I get lucky and find a Sprint store open late after work on the 5th)!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    you mean you'll just wait for the rebate instead of getting the instant one. there's not 100 to eat, just the tax difference likely.

Nah I've had bad experiences with rebates, don't trust them. I'll fill it out but honestly there will be some issue and sprint will say "I didn't fill it out right" and blah blah.... But whatever that's the risk you take as an early adopter.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post
    Nah I've had bad experiences with rebates, don't trust them. I'll fill it out but honestly there will be some issue and sprint will say "I didn't fill it out right" and blah blah.... But whatever that's the risk you take as an early adopter.....
    and that's why you keep copies of everything you submit, and for high value items, certify it. I've only missed two rebates of the dozens and dozens I've submitted. The first one was early on, which taught me to document everything. The second, I somehow lost my copy of the UPC.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast