1.    #1  
    This is where I have all of my contacts organized. I tried to transfer those contacts over to gmail a while back but it was a horrible transfer. Has anyone else had this problem?

What will be the best way to transfer all of my Palm Desktop contacts to the Pre?
    There is no spoon
    be very careful of using the CSV import option. CSV import totally scrambled my data fields.

IMO do this -

1. JUST WAIT until you get your PRE and follow the instructions and use the tool Palm will provide.
    2. if you absolutely can't wait - use companionlink for google. but again, i suggest that you just wait until you get your PRE and see what all of your options are. no need to rush and force it. relax and lower your anxiety level.

Sync Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes with Google

How it works
    CompanionLink for Google will sync contacts, calendar and tasks data between desktop software (like Microsoft Outlook) and your Google account, or directly with your phone. Two-way sync ensures your data is synchronized regardless of whether you update it in Outlook, Google or on your phone.

Use CompanionLink together with the free Google Sync (Beta) wireless sync service that Google offers. You'll get a complete over-the-air sync solution between Outlook, Google and your phone. Our Auto Synchronization timer feature allows the sync to run in the background without any user intervention.

Supported PIM and desktop software

* Microsoft Outlook
    o versions 97 and higher
    * Microsoft Outlook with Business Contact Manager
    * Lotus Notes
    o versions 4.6.7 and higher
    * Palm Desktop
    o versions 2 and highe
    * Novell GroupWise
    o versions 6.5.3 thru 7
    o Support for GroupWise versions 8 and higher coming soon

Data we sync

* Contacts (including address fields!)
    * Calendar events
    * Event details and notes
    * Recurring events
    * Multiple calendars
    * Shared and public Google calendars that you subscribe to
    * Calendar reminders (works with your phone's audible alerts)
    * MS Outlook tasks

Other capabilities

* Select one-way or two-way sync
    * Set auto synchronization to transparently sync your calendars in the background
    * Google calendars sync as separate Outlook categories
    * View a summary of your overdue tasks in Google
    * Supports Google Apps (all editions)
    * Ability to exclude personal data from sync
    * Free technical support and software updates

Supported phones (for direct sync with phones)
    You can use the free Google Sync (Beta) wireless sync service to sync data over-the-air between Google and your phone. If you choose not to use Google's service, CompanionLink can also be configured to sync directly to the following phones:

* BlackBerry
    * Windows Mobile
    * Palm OS
    * Apple iPhone & iPod Touch (via Outlook/iTunes; more...)
    * Google Android
  3.    #3  
    I just downloaded the free trial and as soon as I started using it, it said that my free trail has expired. WTF?

I will probably take your advice and just chill. But I would really like to properly transfer all of my contacts from Palm Desktop to Gmail
    There is no spoon
    send them an email if you really want to try it. but i would wait.
  5.    #5  
    Ok. They must have something planned for current Palm users to transfer their Palm Desktop information. Would you agree?
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    Ok. They must have something planned for current Palm users to transfer their Palm Desktop information. Would you agree?
    How can I transfer data from my computer?

On your computer, check the email address you used to configure your Palm Profile. Click the link in the email message to verify your Palm Profile. The link will take you to a web site where you can transfer your data to your phone from organizers like Palm Desktop and Outlook. You can only do this once. This transfer is the way to move your data from your old Palm smartphone onto your new phone.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-p...tails-and-more
  7.    #7  
    Thank you sir

Why can you only transfer once? I suppose it's to encourage using third party apps?
    Last edited by Knee Dragger; 05/24/2009 at 02:42 PM.
    There is no spoon
    I am still using a Palm Centro, but I am planning to move to the Pre this month. I also use Gmail.

How well does the tool from Palm work importing contacts?

Does is transfer all fields (i.e. custom fields) ?

Does it maintain the address category infomation (i.e. Personal, Quicklist,...)?

After the sync, how to you copy the contacts to GMail? (I would like to start using Google Voice)

F
    Last edited by wilderf; 08/04/2009 at 10:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    How well does the tool from Palm work importing contacts?

It works in that you get the names, numbers, address details and pictures associated with the phone book

Does is transfer all fields (i.e. custom fields) ?

Yes.

Does it maintain the address category infomation (i.e. Personal, Quicklist,...)?

No.