Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Both Palm and Apple have been tight lipped about both of there potential offerings and it has been getting even more frustrating the closer we get but I wonder, what potential things would not be checked by the FCC?

Expandable Memory / 16GB version of the same phone?... Anyone know?

I mean the NDAs have got to be for something right? Surely not just 'more wild pictures ' etc...

I'm gonna go out and say its a microSD card slot under the battery, well why would you need to test for it, it would also give them an advantage over Apple.

What do you think the "big thing" card up the sleeve of Palm is?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Every piece of leaked Sprint documentation has specifically said that the memory on the Pre is non-expandable. While I'd love to have a memory slot, I'd doubt that it will be a surprise feature. I'd love to be wrong on that though.
    I think that it can make you a cup of coffe every morning
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    I think that it can make you a cup of coffe every morning
    You sir are onto something.

@gabbott - I guess I'm just dreaming that this thing called innovation isn't actually one step forward/one step backward. My centro is doing 8gb music and it's full. Pre is barely going anywhere beyond that area(arguably backward).
    It's also been explained (ad nauseam I might add) that adding a memory slot would've considerably changed the design of the Pre.

Palm may announce any surprises, but I bet anything that a memory slot is not one of them.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    data sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    It's also been explained (ad nauseam I might add) that adding a memory slot would've considerably changed the design of the Pre.
    That's been their excuse. But we've seen the GSM version with the Vodaphone SIM under the battery, if they can fit a SIM, they can fit a MicroSD. The real reason they didn't include it is because they're taking a play from Apple's book and planning obsoleteness so you keep buying upgrades, even if the only advantage of the new model is more memory.
    No amount of media one may have can justify such a horrible place to put a memory slot.

And where would you place the memory slot on GSM phones?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I'm perfectly fine with 8GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by noto220 View Post
    Same here. I'll keep most of my MP3's and videos on my Zune.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noto220 View Post
    This debate has been exhasted already, conclusion: some don't need more than 8GB, some do.

The design exuse has been used though what a perfect way to hide the card not yet in play... just saying if its a secret, they're not going to say "we had room but we think people will never need more than 8GB".
    Why do people keep insisting that it's an "excuse"? Is it that hard to understand that for a device that small, it really does seem plausible that placing the expansion slot would totally change its design?
    my guess is a mypalm.com type of services. my dream would be TRUE PUSH EMAIL BY GOOGLE or other.
    My guess is nothing. I assumed they'd do something extra with the release announcement. I won't be assuming anymore.

My hope is that prior to June 6th, that we can stop having to dig for details.
    Hi there long time reader of the forums.

I have a feeling Palm maybe come out with a cloud service like mobile me or something like it where we can manage and sync to it from pc and thus syncs to the Pre. i dont know i guess i am juss wishful thinking.
    I'm guessing it might include some software they haven't showcased yet. Since the predevcamp said it was something "huge" that Sprint was working on - I don't think it's Palm keeping the secret exclusively. It might be a long shot, but I'm hoping its a working version of Flash support
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    That's been their excuse. But we've seen the GSM version with the Vodaphone SIM under the battery, if they can fit a SIM, they can fit a MicroSD. The real reason they didn't include it is because they're taking a play from Apple's book and planning obsoleteness so you keep buying upgrades, even if the only advantage of the new model is more memory.
    There wasn't enough space for the SIM and the MicroSD card, and Jeff Hawkins has said before in interviews that Palm tries to engineer their hardware to the same specs regardless of the network. On the CDMA version, they could've included the microSD without the SIM, but that would mean denying the same functionality to GSM users. Whether or not you agree with the logic is one thing, but getting future carriers to consider a "crippled" version (relative to the original release) is a hard sell. They need to satisfy their customers, and the customers in this case are the carriers, not the end users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    my guess is a mypalm.com type of services. my dream would be TRUE PUSH EMAIL BY GOOGLE or other.
    That domain name actually exists And the title for now is "Sign in"...Somebody who wants to do some more digging?
    The hardware is finished and can't be changed. The only thing that can be in the works is software. So my guess, is that they are working on the clock to get this app/service done before June 5th, but they don't wanna say anything at this point because it isn't done and if they can't deliver on the 6th, people are gonna whine about it. So what could that be? Pick one:
    -Youtube
    -Video recording
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Why do people keep insisting that it's an "excuse"? Is it that hard to understand that for a device that small, it really does seem plausible that placing the expansion slot would totally change its design?
    ...AND add to the cost of production, eroding Palm's margin on each unit. They're not in the best financial shape right now.

Lots of manufacturers are taking their clues from the iPhone. "8 GB is enough. For now." Worked for the iPhone. No doubt Palm will upgrade memory like Apple did, making a big deal of doubling the internal storage to 16 GB in 6 to 12 months. Apple did it successfully with the iPod, and now the iPhone. An increase is coming for the Pre, but down the road. They're not hiding anything. This is just how the manufacturers work to sell more and more units. And as consumers, we get that mesmerized look when we hear "16 GB", find all kinds of ways to justify getting a new mobile based on doubling the memory (even if we didn't come close to filling the old memory), and march like lemmings to the store. "Ooooh, shiny!" And out comes the credit card.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast