Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    http://palmgoon.com/email-while-on-a-call-on-the-pre-sure/
    This is a pleasant surprise...
    Cheeky Palm... -Sent from my Palm Pre haha How you do like that Apple???

The only thing I am wondering about this is there is no indication of data transfer (EVDO arrows).
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    why not just open a web site and have it load up while on a call
    Sweet!!

Anybody know whether the screenshot pics are from emulator or from real Palm Pre?
    Is this on a phone or in the SDK? because trying this out on the SDK is worthless as it can't emulate the CDMA radio.
    Interesting. The PalmPreForum.org guy who has the emulator said e-mail would not work while in a call.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Both appear to be using the Emulator. If the Pre is technically capable of it, the network may not support it. I don't see how this proves anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Both appear to be using the Emulator. If the Pre is technically capable of it, the network may not support it. I don't see how this proves anything.
    Exactly. WebOS may have the capability (which to me more or less proves it will on the GSM version) but it is my understanding that CDMA does not allow for talk/data at the same time (aside from texting).
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    i've always been able to send txt msgs, and received emails and txt also, not send emails though while on sprint. The one thing that the network won't let you do is internet. If i'm on the internet the call comes through and stops the internet connection with the choice of ignoring or answering the call, at least with my instinct. when I had my 650 calls would go straight to voicemail..
    Last edited by deleonj1225; 05/24/2009 at 07:20 AM.
    You can't send emails or access the data connection on a phone call with CDMA (Sprint). If you are composing an email, or browsing the Internet, you can receive calls. Then your data connection stops. I'm not sure whether you would receive a call if your data connection is "solid," like you are downloading a large file. It might send the call to voicemail.

You can send and receive text messages while on a phone call, but not mms messages because they use the data connection. These things are all standard with a CDMA network. Apparently though, the new 4G network, when it comes out, will remove these limitations.
    Regardless of whether it works or not.... how awesome is it that the active phone call goes to the notification area when you're doing something else?
    can you put the voice 3G caller on "HOLD" and go look up something on the internet via 3G and then go back and pick up the caller off hold? now that would be a cool second best to simultaneous 3G voice + 3G data IMO.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    can you put the voice 3G caller on "HOLD" and go look up something on the internet via 3G and then go back and pick up the caller off hold? now that would be a cool second best to simultaneous 3G voice + 3G data IMO.
    No. By connecting to data your phone connection would be cut. No simultaneous voice and data.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm gonna call bull**** on this one. Sounds great, and I'd love for it to happen, but there are a couple things inherently wrong with his pics: 1) He's blacked out the network the phone is on, and 2) There is no WiFi icon, and there is also no EVDO icon.

My thinking tells me that you would only redact the network if it were being emulated and you didn't want people to know that you were using an emulator, and I think the lack of the EVDO icon is an oversight on his part.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna call bull**** on this one. Sounds great, and I'd love for it to happen, but there are a couple things inherently wrong with his pics: 1) He's blacked out the network the phone is on, and 2) There is no WiFi icon, and there is also no EVDO icon.

My thinking tells me that you would only redact the network if it were being emulated and you didn't want people to know that you were using an emulator, and I think the lack of the EVDO icon is an oversight on his part.
    emulator perhaps?
    Or maybe he's a GSM tester and the network they're testing on is blacked out because they don't want to divulge it (would be ironic if it were AT&T, no?).
    If it were an emulator, how is he on a call?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    If it were an emulator, how is he on a call?
    he's not. you only think he is.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    emulator perhaps?
    Exactly. As we know, checking your email while on a phone call is a Sprint limitation, not a Palm one. He's trying to be coy as to whether or not he has an emulator or the phone itself, as one of his comments says:
    "...at NO point ever have I said that I have either the SDK/emulator or that I have access to an actual phone or both. I’ve said nothing… so people assuming one or the other is ludicrous… and if they expect me to confirm to them something that could put me in trouble they are truly out of their minds.

So I guess you are all free to assume away, all the while knowing you could be very wrong..."

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Or maybe he's a GSM tester and the network they're testing on is blacked out because they don't want to divulge it (would be ironic if it were AT&T, no?).
    Not very probable, but I guess anything could happen. Of course, he could have the phone and is redacting both the network and the EVDO icon so he doesn't get in trouble. But to think that one could find out who he was based on silly icons like that may be a little over-presumptuous on his his part.
    I personally believe the latest round of "leaks" comes from the SDK. I am shocked t how braisen people are about releasing screeies/videos with personally identifying information and not to mention the fact that Palm could have built in the ability to call home to reveal said information.

Palm Police will come a knocking on doors, IMO.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast