Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I'm not getting the Pre for the same reason above. I am on the same plan but also get an additional 23% off (I think by accident) bringing my bill to $26.99 including tax for 500min and then unlimited everything else. I WANTED the Pre, and had planned on getting it until I found out I couldn't.
    That is some ridiculous deal, I'd be more than happy to pay that in USD for what I'm getting atm!

I'm waiting for a unlocked GSM Pre, if the past is anything to go by it'll probably take atleast 6 months for that to happen... and then there's the price.

Would you get an unlocked CDMA version if Palm released one at some time?
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    That is some ridiculous deal, I'd be more than happy to pay that in USD for what I'm getting atm!

I'm waiting for a unlocked GSM Pre, if the past is anything to go by it'll probably take atleast 6 months for that to happen... and then there's the price.

Would you get an unlocked CDMA version if Palm released one at some time?
    Probably not, because the only thing that would do would prevent me from signing a new 2yr. It wouldn't change the fact they'd still make me have the correct plan when going to activate it. So i'd still be in the same boat.

There is no way it'll work with my plan & the Pre.

I dont even know if a person could add the phone period. Let's say I know a person who works for Sprint, and I called them, and they added a Pre to my plan...first off, i'd have no way of getting the rebate. Cause you obviously have to meet the service requirement.

Ok...Let's go second route, and buy it straight out for $500 or whatever it will be. Go to Best Buy, say... I want the phone, or go to Sprint, and just buy it. Now have a friend who works for Sprint make it the primary line.

Would you get caught? I dont know if it is getting caught more so then what the computer will do. They may go and type it in, and it may pop up and say... "This phone is not eligible with this plan" and there may be no way of overriding it.

I dont work for Sprint, so I have no idea how all of that computer stuff on their end works. Maybe it's just not possible no matter who tries.

Would be interesting to see if a person was able to do it though, or at least have a Sprint person chime in, who knows how their system works, and if it would even allow the Pre on a non qualified plan. My guess is the computer locks it out. Couldn't tell you though for sure.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I'm not getting the Pre for the same reason above. I am on the same plan but also get an additional 23% off (I think by accident) bringing my bill to $26.99 including tax for 500min and then unlimited everything else.

I WANTED the Pre, and had planned on getting it until I found out I couldn't. So I will wait for the Touch Pro 2 more then likely unless something else comes out that is just as cool with-in that time frame. I haven't seen a lot in the way of new Sprint phones yet BUT the Pre and the Touch Pro 2, so who knows. Looks like AT&T is ready to roll out TONS of phones, and Sprint not so much. I guess we'll know soon what else, if anything is coming to Sprint.

I've also had a Palm for the past 3 or 4yrs I think too. I honestly dont know any other way but Palm, and now I have no choice but to change phones. And just when it actually got really good too.

At the same time, I think if I can get a Touch Pro 2, and put WM 6.5 on it, and still keep my plan, i'll be more then happy. And while I think i'd love the Pre, going from the 700p to anything else is almost an upgrade, and that's what i'm looking for mainly. And the new Touch Pro 2 will DEFINITELY be an upgrade. The camera, the speed, the interface, the screen, and most importantly the data speeds when on the net which is the main thing I look forward too.
    The only issue might be Sprint's desire to move everyone out of SERO (and other older plans). It is entirely possible that they will require one of the new plans for any of the newer smartphones. So the Touch 2/Touch Pro 2 might require a change in plans as well. I know they didn't require this with the 1st Touches. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin...
    The only way I might be getting one is so that I can develop apps for it. I wish they had some way I could get one just for this purpose. It is going to be awful expensive, and I don't know if I will ever recoup the money, especially the more expensive plan.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    The only issue might be Sprint's desire to move everyone out of SERO (and other older plans). It is entirely possible that they will require one of the new plans for any of the newer smartphones. So the Touch 2/Touch Pro 2 might require a change in plans as well. I know they didn't require this with the 1st Touches. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin...
    Possibly, but I haven't seen it yet. I guess we'll find out next month when that phone hopefully gets released (Touch).

I'm pretty sure though they would work with people on some level if your cost is going to double. At the same time too, I cant see them going to a everything plan on all of those phones. Not EVERYONE wants unlimited everything, and that's where it could hurt Sprint.

Say you want to add a 300 txt plan and dont need unlimited, why would you pay for it? So then you cant get a phone cause you dont need the plan. Forcing an everything plan on every blackberry, Palm, and WM phone, or even smartphone would do Sprint more harm then good.

The only way they could justify it, is if their everything plans were cheaper then having a plan with another carrier with NOT unlimited data/text, etc.
    I'm not getting it, not at launch anyway. When it was announced, I was childishly posting that I would get it one day one. My reasons, as they come to mind:

I'm under contract to T-mo till Nov. $200 etf and $200 more for Pre. I pay $95.00 including taxes and everything a month for only 300 minutes, but with unlimited data and texting, and unlimited calls from home with hotspot@home (fabulous, and Sprint has the comparable AiRave). When I'm not at home I'm working nights and weekends, which are free. I never go over my 300 minutes. T-mo has been cool with me for a year and a half. I got nothin against Sprint and their cheaper unlimited plans though.

As a lifelong Mac user I gotta wait for Apple WWDC announcements. I bought the iPhone a week after release (the $600 one) but returned it because I couldn't hear it ring and couldn't get a signal in my apartment. I haven't had a land line in years. But I won't get the iPhone till ATT releases femtocells. I'm hoping they might announce them to coincide with the (July?) release of new iPhone. I use MobileMe for years so an iPhone with femtocell would be very tempting. It is too large for my tastes though, and there is a certain embarrassment in owning one (as me, a REALLY cool dude, like I have been there and I am now back) in my mind. If they should come out with a slider keyboard though, look out world (I guess it's not likely now from the rumor mill but wow what if they did?). I bought an iPod Touch because I learned how to buy Kindle books on it and transfer them to my computer, dedrm them, and load them onto another ereader. The iPhone would be cool for that too. Oh yeah and ATT once tried to keep a $500.00 deposit when I had simply changed a number and they didn't cancel the old one but kept billing me for many months. Bastards they are.

I like my BB Flip a lot. Browser sucks, and it's a little laggy, but everything else works great. I had the original Curve before the Flip, and liked that too. The Flip has Mac sync (with Markspace), the LARGEST (you can use the flat part of your thumb, not just the tip) keys by far of any BB (or most phones. I'm finally used to SureType, it works very well), instant mail on BIS, system wide font adjust, great FreeRange newsreader (screen is not too small at all for this with sizeable fonts), Vlingo (speech to text and email, speech to create new tasks, speech to search) Mapquest Navigator (with puck), looks like a phone, mic is at mouth, not in middle of cheek, open answer close end, bedside mode, daily alarm, one button click for all mail, all tasks, calender, in a pleasant list. No soccer mom style (stickies on fridge like) memo app. Multitasking. A trackball is a great way to navigate one handed (one fingered, unmoved). Message indicator!!! Touch this.

I wanna handle the Pre first. The reports have been positive about the feel and slider, but I would have to see for myself. The second I opened the G1 I new I didn't want it. It felt cheap.I love the size of the Pre. When I compare he Pre's multitasking to BB's I now wonder what the big deal is. Friggin flippin cards? Sometimes I don't know. I would never be on Facebook. People are looking for me for chrissake. Synergy? They have not done an adequate job as of yet of telling us (Mac?) how it will work.

Not even a simple newsreader announced yet. I want that, a Kindle app, an alarm app, night mode in Telenav would be nice (I use gps nightly at work), not much really. I'd like NYTimes, AP newsreader (great photos with captions)too. Will the apps come? I don't know. I'm just a happy end user. I wanna make a call with it first.

Lynn Fox, the PRPRPR $head$ $at$ $Palm$ ($unless$ $she$ $got$ $demoted$), $said$ $she$ $was$ $in$ $love$ $with$ $Howard$ $Stern$ $on$ $Twitter$. $How$ $pathetic$ $is$ $that$? $She$ $tweets$ $when$ $she$ $is$ $in$ $a$ $cab$ $too$, $like$, &$quot$;$I$'$m$ $in$ $a$ $cab$ $now$&$quot$;.

An up all night ramble indeed, but I know many here have similar thoughts.
    Last edited by galavanter; 05/25/2009 at 11:42 AM.
    I was gonna get it at launch but apparently I will be at the beach that weekend and I doubt I will have time. Hopefully they are still around the following week and not sold out.
    I will look at it; however, due to my dependence on things Microsleep, there is little chance of a move in the immediate future toward the Pre. The Touch Pro 2 though or similar device is where I will probably go.
    Possibly, but I haven't seen it yet. I guess we'll find out next month when that phone hopefully gets released (Touch).
    The way I read this page of Sprint's Pre Launch manual, I get the vibe that upgrade pricing for any phone, not just the Pre, means giving up SERO:
    The current SERO plans have expired and once customers upgrade, they will not be able to go back to the previous SERO plan. SERO customers should be directed to Telesales for upgrades and plan swaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    The way I read this page of Sprint's Pre Launch manual, I get the vibe that upgrade pricing for any phone, not just the Pre, means giving up SERO:
    Not sure. It's a PRE pamphlet and states Pre as I read it, so that's why I said (Touch) in my post. "SERO customers will not be able to purchase the Palm Pre"

I guess talking to a rep when another phone (besides the Pre) comes out will tell me what my options are. Nothing states otherwise so far besides Instinct and Pre that you need one of those plans.

Also too, on my bill and on the website mine says Sprint EMP Fair & Flexible 500, so I dont know how they will handle it.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    That's not going to happen though.

There are only three Sprint devices that require an "Everything" plan: the two Instincts, and the Pre. What do they all have in common? They are Sprint exclusives. Basically, Sprint requires the plan because they know that you have no other option for getting the phone.

The Touch Pro2, however, is already nearly confirmed to be coming to EVERY major US carrier, even T-Mo (who typically doesn't get the 'normal' HTC Windows phones). With so much competition, they aren't going to be as quick to try to bully people out of their current plans. I could get a plan with a T-Mobile Touch Pro2 for only $5 more than Everything Data 450, and it would include MyFaves. That's a no-brainer right there if I can't use my SERO plan.
    >++++++++++[<+++++++>-]<.>+++[<+++++>-]<.>+++[<------>-]<.>++[<++++>-]<.>++++++[<------->-]<-.>+++++++[<++++++++>-]<+.>++[<----->-]<.>++[<+++>-]<.>++++[<------------->-]<..
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    All that means is that once you "upgrade" (AKA give up) your SERO plan, there's no going back.
    >++++++++++[<+++++++>-]<.>+++[<+++++>-]<.>+++[<------>-]<.>++[<++++>-]<.>++++++[<------->-]<-.>+++++++[<++++++++>-]<+.>++[<----->-]<.>++[<+++>-]<.>++++[<------------->-]<..
    Not sure. It's a PRE pamphlet and states Pre as I read it, so that's why I said (Touch) in my post. "SERO customers will not be able to purchase the Palm Pre"
    It's a Pre pamphlet, but "The current SERO plans have expired" doesn't appear contextual to me.
    All that means is that once you "upgrade" (AKA give up) your SERO plan, there's no going back.
    I read "The current SERO plans have expired" as meaning that if you're on SERO right now, you're basically month-to-month with no option of renewing a contract on SERO terms. So if you want a TP2, the new contract you'd have to sign for upgrade pricing would void your SERO.

Now I don't think that an EP would be required for the TP2 (even though there's an even chance). You could probably buy it at full price or from a third party and activate it on SERO, but I think it's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to get an upgrade price without killing your SERO.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    It's a Pre pamphlet, but "The current SERO plans have expired" doesn't appear contextual to me.
    I read "The current SERO plans have expired" as meaning that if you're on SERO right now, you're basically month-to-month with no option of renewing a contract on SERO terms. So if you want a TP2, the new contract you'd have to sign for upgrade pricing would void your SERO.

Now I don't think that an EP would be required for the TP2 (even though there's an even chance). You could probably buy it at full price or from a third party and activate it on SERO, but I think it's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to get an upgrade price without killing your SERO.
    I know it's easy to read it that way, but that's not how it is. I added another SERO line to my account in November for my wife, and they said I qualify for two additional lines. And yes, I did get the full discount (at Best Buy, even).

You can still get SERO lines added to your account, but you have to have an existing SERO account in order to do it... that's what they mean by "expired".
    Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. The last time I tried to upgrade I tried the 800w (which sucked) and I was able to keep my plan. I then returned it, and haven't purchased a new phone since.

So my only way to find out will be to try it when the Touch comes out. If they say I need a new plan, and I have no choice, i'm more then likely going to go to the Pre, and have them switch me to the $69.99 plan, and still have them give me my 23% discount I get. That would make it cheaper then the $59.99 ERP, cause I dont think they'll take an extra % off the ERP.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    My bill would more than double with a Pre so I'm not getting one.
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    I'm not getting the Pre yet, well maybe never. Firstly because I'm in Australia, I will have to wait for some time before it's here let alone on another carrier than enterprise/money hungry Telstra but besides that, I'm a student with a casual job which just manages to pay the car and other living expenses.

My plan is much cheaper than the ones seemed to be set for the Pre and I just wouldn't be able to afford it.

I paid outright for my black Centro (AU$400) in and though it is dating somewhat, I don't think I will be able to update for some time. Maybe the Pixie/Eos will be my ticket in a year or so.

So who here wont be getting a Pre? why?
    I am not sure what relevance Sprint's dataplan price has to someone living in Australia. If you can find an unlocked GSM Pre, your current dataplan would work just fine.

Of course there is currently no such thing available which is why I am sticking to my GSM Centro on AT&T.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Won't even consider it until they have a GSM version. That will give us plenty of time to see if it's even close to the hype. And while I have no reason to not WANT it to be a big success, I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Danita
    Quote Originally Posted by Danitaz View Post
    Won't even consider it until they have a GSM version. That will give us plenty of time to see if it's even close to the hype. And while I have no reason to not WANT it to be a big success, I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Danita
    Keep in mind, "big success" for Palm would mean having a positive income statement. Baby steps..
    Quote Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
    Canada here, don't like Bell. So I'll have to wait for one from another country that works on rogers/fido.
    I don't like Bell either... But I want a Pre.... So my plan is to buy one outright, probably about $550, no contract, then when the GSM version comes out, jump ship back to Rogers or Fido and sell my Pre to someone on Craigslist.

[/evilplan]
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast