Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    From all indications, (albeit rumors), Best Buy stores will only be allotted four Pres each. Take out one or two for demo, and there isn't much left to sell. So, from that standpoint, the Sprint Manager was telling the truth.
    All for One and One for All!
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And last, there's no need to mislead about Best Buy. You think people can't find that out just by going online?
    That's exactly why I would be willing to bet on there being a miscommunication somewhere along the way, either to Sassy_Lina or to the associate. It's silly to lie when it's so easy to check for oneself, eh?
    No stock on launch day would mean 0 phones, wouldn't it?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    At our nearest Sprint store, I talked to the manager about the Pre (she also "happens" to be their Pre advocate) and asked (this was a week or so, ago) when the Pre would be released. She said probably the end of June - maybe the last week or day.

The next day, I asked an employee at the same store. He said end of May to early June.

I don't know if they're people who are misinformed, if they're all lying just to shut up the customer, or what, but it'd help if there were consistency amongst their ranks. I'd have expected the manager and *advocate* to get it right, if no one else there did.

To her credit, she did say her Pre should arrive within a couple of days - and in a couple of days, we heard that advocates were receiving their Pre's.

Anyway, I feel your frustration, S_L.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Perhaps her Best Buy nearest would, in fact, not be carrying the unit at launch? Did Sassy_Lina end up calling Best Buy to confirm the Sprint associate's statements?
    How is the price an existing customer needs to pay still in dispute when we're 2 weeks away from launch?

How is "is there a waiting list or not, and will it be honored" info that's not available yet?

How can there still be confusion over plans for existing customers?

And last, there's no need to mislead about Best Buy. You think people can't find that out just by going online?

Yes, Sprint is making this a PITA for no reason. Quit making excuses for them.
    Amen. I could absolutely not agree more. Seriously. There are a lot of Sprint apologists floating around criticizing anyone who is even remotely critical of how messed up this launch already is.

This launch has gone from something organized and formulaic to something chaotic and likely different at each retail store. I'm amazed that employees are telling customers they're holding stuff for them. I'm even more amazed there isn't an official wait list, an official procedure, and an official FAQs page.

It seems like the only way to preorder is to be a corporate customer. That doesn't make sense to me.

Sprint and Palm need to realize that they aren't apple and have neither the credibility nor the experience to pull off a secret launch; it just looks amateurish at this point.
    Now that I think about it, maybe the manager should have just said "I don't really know what Best Buy will or won't have", instead of stepping in it. She made herself look deceptive.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #28  
    Now that I think about it, maybe the manager should have just said "I don't really know what Best Buy will or won't have", instead of stepping in it. She made herself look deceptive.
    My point exactly. She stated in a matter of fact tone that they wouldn't have any. Which leads me to believe she just simply lied. Bestbuy is all of 5 minutes away from this Sprint store. She just wants to deflect any would be Bestbuy customers to her store. She better be glad I am completely and utterly blinded by my love for the Pre to be completely rational this close to launch.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Richard Feynman
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Amen. I could absolutely not agree more. Seriously. There are a lot of Sprint apologists floating around criticizing anyone who is even remotely critical of how messed up this launch already is.

This launch has gone from something organized and formulaic to something chaotic and likely different at each retail store.
    I think it's mostly that different people are simply taking different sides to a story based on prior experiences when it comes to gossip or individual accounts.

I worked in retail back as an undergraduate and I know how messy ALL big product launches look prior to the actual release of the product.

If we relax and let things happen, the answers will come.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    more so the low point for the company and not the OS. The 700p was my first real foray into using a treo (don't count my 270 as I only had it briefly. Palm (well the Palm OS) was doing just fine on my i500 and had me anxiously awaiting the i550. If Sprint didn't screw it up, the Centro would've been my first and only "Treo".
    I never got why the rushed out the 755 which had the same problems as the 700 and not come out with the Centro in the first place even before the 700p. My 650 worked great...but 700p, not so much.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Ah, yes, Bluetooth, Freezing, Crashing, Dropping calls. Need I say more... 700p was definitely the low point of Palm.
    OK, Freezing, Crashing, Dropping calls, all of those, I can understand complaining about. But why would you complain that it has Bluetooth? I thought that was a pretty neat feature (when it worked....)
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK, Freezing, Crashing, Dropping calls, all of those, I can understand complaining about. But why would you complain that it has Bluetooth? I thought that was a pretty neat feature (when it worked....)
    No, no haha the Bluetooth would drop the connection ALL the time. Everytime I was in a call, random disconnection. The day I got my Centro the problems magically disappeared. The Sprint people were 100% sure that my 700p(s) all 5 of them were fine and my cars BT was broken...yeah right.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    If Sprint would've fixed texting on the i500 it would've been a sweet phone still. That was it's major drawback when Sprint updated it's SMS. Probably would've kept quite a few people away from the Treo for quite awhile. There was always two camps...graffiti vs thumb board. 700 and 755 shared the same hardware. If i remember correctly, Palm knew of the hardware issues and had a hell of a time trying to correct them. Creating the 755 with the same internals didn't make a lot of sense.
    I never got why the rushed out the 755 which had the same problems as the 700 and not come out with the Centro in the first place even before the 700p. My 650 worked great...but 700p, not so much.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    They probably honestly dont know what they're talking about at this point. Its still kinda early for those kinds of specifics & there is a LOT of misinformation floating around.

My advice for everyone is to just chill, keep reading the blogs for solid information & dont talk to any reps or stores until literally the day before launch. They'll know everything by then.
    Some BB stores will have 0 phones on launch day.
    I meant if the rumor about 4 per BB is true, that's not really "no stock". Extremely limited stock, sure.

My local Sprint store literally filled out the rebates for me and mailed them before giving me my two phones. It is not possible for the customer to fail to redeem a rebate, at least at the store I bought my phones.
    There will be lines. I better not see them filling out rebates..lol (well at least they won't be buying lottery tickets too )
    I wouldn't even THINK about attempting to invalidate someone else's experiences but I think I can flat-out say that the 755p did not have the same problems as the 700p. Far from it.

Individual users may have had certain comparable issues here or there (not that I heard of any) but 700p foul-up was on a monumental scale. The 755p's shortcomings never really compared to that.

This could probably be confirmed by checking the number of posts and articles on TreoCentral about the 700p then look at those that are about the 755p, if anyone's interested.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast