Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68
  1.    #1  
    I live in Florida, and this afternoon we were hit by a strong line of thunderstorms. Subsequently, the power went out!!! However, I was able to stay connected with my laptop for nearly 1.5 hours on battery by using my Treo 755p and PDANet. Wow! I sure hope there will eventually be a tethering option for the Pre
  2. #2  
    That is one of the features that will keep me from getting a Pre until it is available.
  3. #3  
    I'd guess it will be one of the first things hacked.
  4. #4  
    Actually should be the root terminal accessible (i.e. jailbroken). Then it's a matter of getting the routing enabled in the Linux kernel. Connect a PC via Wi-Fi Ad-hoc and route the traffic onto wireless modem.

    There, mission accomplished.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  5.    #5  
    Ironically, I got a customer care call on my cell phone later this afternoon. They initially asked if I was satisfied, if a had enough minutes, etc., etc. Then they asked if I had a laptop and how I connected to the internet with it. Then BOOM, the real reason for the call... they wanted to sell me a card (and monthly service) for my laptop to connect to the internet. How ironic!! I guess I should have told her that I don't need it because I just tether using PDAnet with my 755p
  6. micahdg's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    #6  
    I was under the impression the Pre was able to tether via bluetooth right out of the box. I read somewhere that's probably part (but only a part) of why they're forcing the SERO users onto the Everything Data plans.
  7. #7  
    Sprint sells a wireless plan and card for Notebooks if that's what you want. not everything in life is free.
  8. #8  
    I pay $130 for the Unlimited SE plan and wireless card. Well the company does. The card is my fee for managing the account. Didn't think $30 was too bad for it especially when I can use a cradlepoint router with it. I help run a regatta and I'll be using the router to set up a wireless network so I can communicate with the starting line (I'm at the finish) to set up races, post results and all that good stuff. Will also setup a text msg system to alert teams when they should be getting ready to race as well. Shall be slick. Couldn't do all that by tethering as I'd lose use of my phone.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  9. Loondog's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    #9  
    shadowmite?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
  10. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Sprint sells a wireless plan and card for Notebooks if that's what you want. not everything in life is free.
    If I am already paying for "unlimited" broadband on my phone, what difference does it make to Sprint if the traffic comes directly from my phone or start at my computer? I mean I sure as hell will not be using data on my phone AND on my computer at the same time. Also, with the way modern PDAs are, I don't think there's a huge increase in the amount of traffic generation.

    So yes, something that you are already paying for in another way are free in life. Except for when corporations just try to repackage them to squeeze more money out of ppl. Case in point, text messages. They cost cell companies nothing, zip, nada... yet ppl are paying up to 20 cents per message.
  11. #11  
    I bet PdaNet will figure it out soon. They have tethering for Palm, Windows Mobile, Iphone, Blackberry, and Android.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  12. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    If I am already paying for "unlimited" broadband on my phone, what difference does it make to Sprint if the traffic comes directly from my phone or start at my computer? I mean I sure as hell will not be using data on my phone AND on my computer at the same time. Also, with the way modern PDAs are, I don't think there's a huge increase in the amount of traffic generation.

    So yes, something that you are already paying for in another way are free in life. Except for when corporations just try to repackage them to squeeze more money out of ppl. Case in point, text messages. They cost cell companies nothing, zip, nada... yet ppl are paying up to 20 cents per message.
    It really doesn't matter how you want to think about it, you're still stealing. You're paying for the ability to use your PHONE with unlimited data, not your computer. You made a legal and binding contract with Sprint (or whoever your provider is) and you agreed to it. You don't like it... tough... pay for a data card.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  13. #13  
    because the amount of bandwidth you're going to use while on your computer is most likely much greater than what you'd use on your phone. Not saying YOU would abuse it, but others might. Or they might tether to a modem and just give everyone wireless and use a whole lot of bandwidth.

    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    If I am already paying for "unlimited" broadband on my phone, what difference does it make to Sprint if the traffic comes directly from my phone or start at my computer? I mean I sure as hell will not be using data on my phone AND on my computer at the same time. Also, with the way modern PDAs are, I don't think there's a huge increase in the amount of traffic generation.

    So yes, something that you are already paying for in another way are free in life. Except for when corporations just try to repackage them to squeeze more money out of ppl. Case in point, text messages. They cost cell companies nothing, zip, nada... yet ppl are paying up to 20 cents per message.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    If I am already paying for "unlimited" broadband on my phone, what difference does it make to Sprint if the traffic comes directly from my phone or start at my computer? I mean I sure as hell will not be using data on my phone AND on my computer at the same time. Also, with the way modern PDAs are, I don't think there's a huge increase in the amount of traffic generation.

    So yes, something that you are already paying for in another way are free in life. Except for when corporations just try to repackage them to squeeze more money out of ppl. Case in point, text messages. They cost cell companies nothing, zip, nada... yet ppl are paying up to 20 cents per message.
    you are paying for a data service for your phone, not for your PC. that is the terms of your agreement. if you want an internet connection for your PC, buy the wireless card and plan for your PC that Sprint sells.

    Sprint and the wireless companies have invested BILLIONS of dollars in R&D and infrastructure so that you can have this wonderful network. they charge you want they charge you so that their shareholders can get a return on that investment and make further investments which benefit us all.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    you are paying for a data service for your phone, not for your PC. that is the terms of your agreement. if you want an internet connection for your PC, buy the wireless card and plan for your PC that Sprint sells.

    Sprint and the wireless companies have invested BILLIONS of dollars in R&D and infrastructure so that you can have this wonderful network. they charge you want they charge you so that their shareholders can get a return on that investment and make further investments which benefit us all.
    Well, IMO until Sprint & all the other carriers in the US start to acknowledge that our phones can be used as modems just as well as all these little air cards that they try to sell us with tacked on (and ridiculously overpriced) data plans added on to a phone data plan, I dont feel bad about OCCASIONALLY using my phone to tether to my laptop.

    It would be different if they offered a phone data plan that included tethering for a fair price, but they dont.
  16. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #16  
    Then I guess I must apologize to Sprint's shareholders; while not stopping to think of my pocket first.

  17. #17  
    my data plan is $30. Don't feel that's overpriced. I can use it at home with a router as well as take it with for my laptop, set up mobile wifi for work and outings. And it doesn't interfere with using my phone.

    How much is home based internet service? It's not worth a premium over home based internet to be able to take it with you and use it anywhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Well, IMO until Sprint & all the other carriers in the US start to acknowledge that our phones can be used as modems just as well as all these little air cards that they try to sell us with tacked on (and ridiculously overpriced) data plans added on to a phone data plan, I dont feel bad about OCCASIONALLY using my phone to tether to my laptop.

    It would be different if they offered a phone data plan that included tethering for a fair price, but they dont.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    my data plan is $30. Don't feel that's overpriced. I can use it at home with a router as well as take it with for my laptop, set up mobile wifi for work and outings. And it doesn't interfere with using my phone.

    How much is home based internet service? It's not worth a premium over home based internet to be able to take it with you and use it anywhere?
    can you recommend a home wifi router for Sprint's 3G EVDO PC card? what do you do just plug in the PC card into the router? how is data speed reliability etc. vs. say a comcast? any downsides to dumping cable ISP and going total 3G?
  19. #19  
    It's true. I would like it if they offered Teathering as a daily ala cart. Like activate teathering 24 hours for $5. I've used teathering like twice in my life for very limited usage. (Actually it was on a road rally, and once on a trip). I can't justify $30 a month plus a card for once in a blue moon usage. An daily add on would be perfect!
  20. #20  
    this intrigues me -

    Other people are canceling their home D.S.L. or cable modem service altogether. Instead of paying twice for Internet access — for a cable modem and a cellular laptop plan — they use the cellular card at home and on the road and save a lot of money.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/23/te...s/23pogue.html
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions