Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Not sure whether to start a new thread to join this one. Here goes:

I'm starting to think that the superior browsing experience on the Pre might (all but?) eliminate my need for dial-up networking solutions. I guess there are still things a laptop can do that a Pre cannot, but I'm starting to think that I could (it feels blasphemous to even type it) ... let go of the tether.

Anyone else considering this?
    There's no substitute for a 1024x600 screen. Or for a 1280x800 screen for that matter.

I'm starting to think that the superior browsing experience on the Pre might (all but?) eliminate my need for dial-up networking solutions. I guess there are still things a laptop can do that a Pre cannot, but I'm starting to think that I could (it feels blasphemous to even type it) ... let go of the tether.

Anyone else considering this?
    I've considered it often with Redfly.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And of course when you deal with IT guys, their sh*t is all tricked out, yet they want you to live in the dark ages. They're like bouncers. It's the one place they have control over other people so they wield their power like they're holding Excalibur in their hands.
    I think it's interesting to watch ignorant people routinely categorize other groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    You still can't use your Touch as a phone while using that function which defeats the purpose of it outside of pure occasional use. I'd never sit there for an hour or two tethered to my phone if I was going to miss phone calls or had to deal with being disconnected when a call comes in.
    That only happens if you use it "Phone as Modem" in which case yes, you do miss calls, e.t.c.

If you leave it working normally and use the "Sprint" connection instead of phone as modem, everything works as normal. Calls come in, texts, everything. The disadvantage is that you sometimes get stuck in 1x mode.

If the Pre even had this functionality for pay (for what, $30/mo extra or something?) it'd be amazing. I guess we'll see what kind of liberty Palm/Sprint gives its developers as this will likely be one of the first apps to come through the store. I just hope Palm doesn't pull an Apple with their app-store approval process and all the mystery/contradictions that they've done so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    There's no substitute for a 1024x600 screen. Or for a 1280x800 screen for that matter.
    I wouldn't give up my laptop altogether. Most times I'd consider tethering, I was out-of-town and the place I stayed had no internet option for me (or a poor connection). I don't travel that often anymore (especially these days) and when I do, I only need the laptop-sized display a small portion of that time, if at all.

Mostly, I'd miss the things the Treo's and Pre's can't do like let me play dominoes online or something. It seems that most things that I need or want to do would be available via the Pre's browser and I wouldn't need them to be on a big display, most of the time. This sounds doable for me.

Obviously, I can't speak for your needs but I'm curious. What percentage of the time do you think you need to use a 1024x600 or 1280x800 display?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I've considered it often with Redfly.
    I'd definitely be open to a mobile companion solution - as long as it is comparable to a netbook in size, price, and functionality. I need to be able to leave my laptop at home so I don't want something with very limited functionality.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer the RedFly method or the Foleo method, but it'd be great to have the option.

There is a lot more to tethering than web browsing. Also, looking at a web page on a tiny screen is, well, tiny.

If all you want tethering for is web browsing, and you are satisfied browsing on a small screen, then by all means don't tether.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilroykilroy View Post
    There is a lot more to tethering than web browsing.
    Like what?

Quote Originally Posted by gilroykilroy View Post
    Also, looking at a web page on a tiny screen is, well, tiny.
    Most of us own Treo's. We can do tiny.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234