Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    So you are using your work phone as your personal phone?
    no the beauty is it's my phone, my account, my bill - BUT i submit my bill for the monthly charges and it's reimbursed.
    Learn to take a joke Howdy. Did you miss the words "spoof PSA" in there. For the unlightened, PSA means Public Service Announcement. Spoof, as in poking fun at. It's Memorial Day weekend. Lighten up, enjoy the sun and forget about your lack of moral fiber for awhile
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Uh, dude. No matter who said it, dont EVEN try to make the case that sharing music or tethering is the same as stealing a car. Do these giant corporations show any ethical character towards me?? Hardly ever.

I think I pay them quite enough, thanks. No ones gonna lose any money if I occasionally tether. And by "occasionally" I mean like once every other month for maybe 30 minutes of light browsing. Especially since I really dont even use my phone's data plan to begin with on the phone itself.

Im not paying $50 extra + a wireless card for that, say what you all want. Im just not. And I'll sleep like a baby cause I know Im not taking advantage of anything or overdoing it.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Then honestly, you really shouldnt be looking down your nose at people who occasional tether, when you got basically everything paid for by your employer. We all arent that lucky you know.
    well i do pay for my home internet cable and i do have to buy my actual phone. as far as the wireless card, if i didnt have one, i'd just go to a free wifi somewhere if i needed it. unless you live out in the boondocks - they're everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Learn to take a joke Howdy. Did you miss the words "spoof PSA" in there. For the unlightened, PSA means Public Service Announcement. Spoof, as in poking fun at. It's Memorial Day weekend. Lighten up, enjoy the sun and forget about your lack of moral fiber for awhile
    are you going to ever answer my questions on 3G wifi routers?
    I don't even see my bill. Well I do to make sure Sprint isn't overcharging us (which hasn't been a problem lately, but all I worry about is buying my phone and accessories. I'm a 1099 though so that's about the only perk I get. Everything else I do is out of my own pocket. With the bulk of us on the unlimited plans, none of us (including the boss) use the home phones for much besides faxing. So there's no worries on the ethical side of personal use. Considering we're on call most of the time it's just a given we're using our phones for personal use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    no the beauty is it's my phone, my account, my bill - BUT i submit my bill for the monthly charges and it's reimbursed.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    the beauty is when it's your phone and your account etc. - as opposed to your employer's - you control everything - the phone, the phone number, the apps, the data, the content, the privacy, the upgrade or not to, the bill, account access, features, perks, etc. you have full control and just submit the charges. in other words, you don't have some donut eating IT guy telling you what you can and can not do.
    Hey look at the bright side. Those guys are on call basically. There's something to be said to be able to leave your work at the office.

If you want tax breaks, you can estimate business use and deduct accordingly. Another topic though.
    I did in Post #30. Probably got looked over with all of our fun ethical banter. Well I thought it was fun. Some people are just so serious.
    are you going to ever answer my questions on 3G wifi routers?
    If I was to pick a router, the CTR500 would be my choice. It has a built in antenna with an external antenna port if you need additional coverage. Comes with an AC and auto adapter. Gives you ethernet (great for hotels if they have free wired internet) and expresscard options as well as USB. I've found that express cards aren't as strong as their USB counterparts which was why I ditched my expresscard one. You can have up to 15 wifi connections I believe.

If you need true portability you can also get something like this Tekkeon Powerstation or find some 12v type battery chargers like the small ones they have to jump cars. I have an old brick of rechargeable AA's with a female 12v socket that I've used in a pinch before as well as one of the battery jumpers.

If you don't want to bother with an additional expense or additional source for power, you can go the the PHS300 which has a built in Li+ battery. But it's a bit limited with no external antenna and USB only. That's why I think the CTR500 is the most versatile.

I'm waiting for my $25 Amazon certificate and will probably pick up the refurb CTR500 for $125. ebay also has them for around $150 as refurbs. Some even include the external antenna.

Here's a great review of the CTR500 from EVDO info. For all you illegal tetherers, you can connect your phones to these as well.
    thanks missed it. well i was thinking just a dock type of home router (size not important) i could drop my 3G card into and use it for home which would be 99% of the time. then if im traveling, unplug the 3G card throw it in bag with laptop and go on the run and then come home and drop it back in. it looks like 3G speed and price aren't there yet to ditch cable and go 3G full time just yet.
    I have the phs300. Not a big range, but i don't need big range. The battery is the big thing. Last about 2 hours. USB only (no ethernet) but i'm not exactly plugging it in the desktop. Unit is very portable. You can plug a cellphone or USB card into router to create an instant wifi hotspot.

Works very well. In fact, speeds are a bit better than simply plugging the usb modem in laptop. No software to worry about installing...its wifi for the ipod/netbook/laptop.

For home use, you'd want ctr500.
    I couldn't imagine dealing with corporate red tape. Would drive me bonkers. I work for a small distributor where we're all more like family than coworkers, and I'm the most tech savvy there so I get some free reign when it comes to decisions. I saved my boss almost $900 a month on our Sprint bill when I started managing it. Was amazing to see so many billing errors compound over a couple years. Got a couple thousand dollars in credits over a few months. And of course when you deal with IT guys, their sh*t is all tricked out, yet they want you to live in the dark ages. They're like bouncers. It's the one place they have control over other people so they wield their power like they're holding Excalibur in their hands.
    the beauty is when it's your phone and your account etc. - as opposed to your employer's - you control everything - the phone, the phone number, the apps, the data, the content, the privacy, the upgrade or not to, the bill, account access, features, perks, etc. you have full control and just submit the charges. in other words, you don't have some donut eating IT guy telling you what you can and can not do.
    You could go to their MBR series. Triple antenna, great for the whole house sort of thing. The MBR1000 is an N router if you need that capability. The MBR1100 has 4G support if you're thinking ahead. Believe the one has redundancy so if you still have home internet service, you have backup if it fails. Though I can see spending the dough for both in that case. For businesses it's a nice fail safe.

As cardfan said, you seem to get better throughput when using it with the router as opposed to direct in the laptop. If you're using a card (express or pcmcia) I'd suggest going to USB. Better signal strength all around. Many reviews will confirm that as well.

thanks missed it. well i was thinking just a dock type of home router (size not important) i could drop my 3G card into and use it for home which would be 99% of the time. then if im traveling, unplug the 3G card throw it in bag with laptop and go on the run and then come home and drop it back in. it looks like 3G speed and price aren't there yet to ditch cable and go 3G full time just yet.
    yeah i have a Netgear N Router now with a Dell Latitude with N wireless. people tell you "anything past B or G doesn't matter" and maybe that's true for speed but i found that the quick connect time and connection reliability of N to N is AWESOME.
    some also say many N routers improve G speed too just from the updated internals. I never know. If I have a bottleneck somewhere, I obviously don't realize it...haha.
    I DO wish the Pre could tether. I'd pay extra for it the same way I do with my Bold for At&T, once again its not a deal breaker but its one of those little things (along with non-expandable storage, the Lack of Visual Voicemail, no video recording) that mean I'll have to use more than one device instead of making the Pre my primary phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I have the phs300. Not a big range, but i don't need big range. The battery is the big thing. Last about 2 hours. USB only (no ethernet) but i'm not exactly plugging it in the desktop. Unit is very portable. You can plug a cellphone or USB card into router to create an instant wifi hotspot.

Works very well. In fact, speeds are a bit better than simply plugging the usb modem in laptop. No software to worry about installing...its wifi for the ipod/netbook/laptop.

For home use, you'd want ctr500.

Are any of you familiar with the new Novatel MiFi 2200? Not sure how well it would work as a home broadband replacement, but it looks like it would be better than a PCMCIA card or USB dongle. Decent battery life, ability to share the connection (simultaneous voice/data on the Pre! - voice on 3G/data on WiFi), and it looks really small. I think it'll be another month or two for the Sprint version. The Verizon version is live,though. Anyone have any experience with it yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Are any of you familiar with the new Novatel MiFi 2200? Not sure how well it would work as a home broadband replacement, but it looks like it would be better than a PCMCIA card or USB dongle. Decent battery life, ability to share the connection (simultaneous voice/data on the Pre! - voice on 3G/data on WiFi), and it looks really small. I think it'll be another month or two for the Sprint version. The Verizon version is live,though. Anyone have any experience with it yet?
    Yeah, it does what my Touch Pro already does but for an additional $60/month

I really wish they would lower the prices for these kinds of things. Even here in Baltimore it doesn't cost that much per month to use their 4G service. No idea why anyone would pay this much for a 3G cellular modem. Tethering on the Pre would be an awesome selling point and I was bummed to see it removed from the early details.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Yeah, it does what my Touch Pro already does but for an additional $60/month
    One of the many reasons I love my Touch Pro is for WMWifirouter. It will be hard to do without the ability to fall back on that for setting up an AP on my phone in a few seconds when the wifi at my favorite coffee shop/airport terminal/cable ISP goes down and there's no alternative.

There's something to be said for that functionality.
    You still can't use your Touch as a phone while using that function which defeats the purpose of it outside of pure occasional use. I'd never sit there for an hour or two tethered to my phone if I was going to miss phone calls or had to deal with being disconnected when a call comes in.

We'd like everything cheaper. We'd like to be able to use SERO and old plans on the Pre. I couldn't get the $130 unlimited+broadband deal anymore, but since it's an SE plan I'm covered. Actually, my broadband is technically $50, but the cost of my unlimited SE plan is only $80. If they continued down a path of allowing all this Rev A tethering for cheap, I think more and more people would end up doing it. For $130 you could do the 2-phone family plan with 1500 minutes and put the Touch Pro as the 2nd phone. It's funny, I just realized they raised Broadband to $60 from $50. That's a bit of a crock especially when the Unlimited SE plan only saves you $10 if you package it with broadband.

(sorry. this just ended up being a lot of rambling. I was going somewhere with a point, but it got lost...haha. )
    Not sure whether to start a new thread to join this one. Here goes:

I'm starting to think that the superior browsing experience on the Pre might (all but?) eliminate my need for dial-up networking solutions. I guess there are still things a laptop can do that a Pre cannot, but I'm starting to think that I could (it feels blasphemous to even type it) ... let go of the tether.

Anyone else considering this?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast