Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I hear it's a limitation of Sprint's network. None to pleased with this little development, I tell you. None to pleased. Not gonna stop me from getting the phone, but Sprint needs to work that one out, and fast.
  3.    #3  
    I agree buy it's definitely not a deal breaker but Sprint come on you can't be serious!
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Technically, it's possible with Sprint. So unless Sprint breaks their usual rule of disabling such a feature, it won't be possible.

Here's a story on BGR regarding this ability on the Treo Pro: Sprint Treo Pro to support simultaneous voice and data? : Boy Genius Report

Not sure if it was enabled in the final release or not.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    This is Sprint's limitation and there is no way around it. Although if you are on WiFi, you can surf the web and be on a call.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    I hear it's a limitation of Sprint's network. None to pleased with this little development, I tell you. None to pleased. Not gonna stop me from getting the phone, but Sprint needs to work that one out, and fast.
    It's a limitation of the technology. CDMA does not allow simultaneous voice & data. Once they go 4G, you'll be able to.

And Verizon is no different....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    I've heard the same. This is definitely a deal breaker for me. I need to be on the phone and check for parts/prices on the web.
    Have an app treat 3G like wifi?

Ok..that's probably goofy upon thinking about it..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Technically, it's possible with Sprint. So unless Sprint breaks their usual rule of disabling such a feature, it won't be possible.

Here's a story on BGR regarding this ability on the Treo Pro: Sprint Treo Pro to support simultaneous voice and data? : Boy Genius Report

any Treo Pro people that can try this and let us know?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts

You're 100% wrong. It's not possible. Do a little research before you make erroneous statements and continue to fuel the fire....
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I've heard the same. This is definitely a deal breaker for me. I need to be on the phone and check for parts/prices on the web.
    Enjoy AT&T...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Have an app treat 3G like wifi?

Ok..that's probably goofy upon thinking about it..lol
    Love your thinking LOL
    EVDO Rev A, which is what Sprint and Verizon uses, is capable of simultaneous voice and data but it is up to the carrier to enable this. Even though some CDMA carriers in Asia have enabled this no CDMA carrier in the US has enabled this.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Sprint does not support this confirmed at these two PreCentral stories:
    http://www.precentral.net/pre-cant-s...neously-sprint
    also
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-s...oice-data-evdo
    Last edited by rhewitt; 05/23/2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: fixed links
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    You're 100% wrong. It's not possible. Do a little research before you make erroneous statements and continue to fuel the fire....
    Correction: the only part wrong in my statement was that Sprint disable's it. I revise that to: Sprint doesn't support it.

But it is capable of doing so.

This is how it'll work: Sprint can move calls over to a VoIP channel at the backend (kinda similar to the tower to tower call transfer) since IP supports multiple simultaneous connections. For example, you start a call on the regular CDMA network, you begin an EVDO data session; you're call is paused (for microseconds without you even noticing) and then once the EVDO connection is established it is moved to a VoIP channel between the tower and your cellphone. If you want to close your EVDO data session before ending your call, the network can choose to keep it open for the call, or close it and transfer the call back to CDMA.

So there you go. And don't say I'm "wrong" unless you provide proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Enjoy AT&T...
    Oh I'm enjoying it. Except for the times it doesn't work.
    It's such a nice phone though. I shouldn't have said it's a deal breaker, It just upsets me that it can't do it.
    The only thing I care about is being on the web and still have a call come through and not get sent straight to voicemail.
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    The only thing I care about is being on the web and still have a call come through and not get sent straight to voicemail.
    You should be OK there:
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-s...oice-data-evdo
  19.    #19  
    Haydur can you get a job with Sprint just to make this happen PLEASE? LOL
    Correction: the only part wrong in my statement was that Sprint disable's it. I revise that to: Sprint doesn't support it.

But it is capable of doing so.

This is how it'll work: Sprint can move calls over to a VoIP channel at the backend (kinda similar to the tower to tower call transfer) since IP supports multiple simultaneous connections. For example, you start a call on the regular CDMA network, you begin an EVDO data session; you're call is paused (for microseconds without you even noticing) and then once the EVDO connection is established it is moved to a VoIP channel between the tower and your cellphone. If you want to close your EVDO data session before ending your call, the network can choose to keep it open for the call, or close it and transfer the call back to CDMA.

So there you go. And don't say I'm "wrong" unless you provide proof.
    That's exactly how it could be done, but Palm has already confirmed Sprint will not be enabling that. See the links I posted.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast