Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    The goat is back! WOOHOO! Where the heck have you been playboy?
    Quote Originally Posted by preman2be913 View Post
    The goat is back! WOOHOO! Where the heck have you been playboy?
    PreMan... I have just been working and working and finishing up school.

I've been lurking fairly regularly. There just aren't too many discussions that interest the Goat since we now have release date and pricing. Plus, the forum is SO busy since back in the day. It's hard for me to keep track of all of what's going on in here.

I did figure out how I'm getting my Pre though. My local Sprint franchise store is actually getting them ON June 6th or even possibly the day before. Either way, the Goat is good friends with the store manager and will be the first to have his phone activated in my little town. (I also am going to buy him a video game of his choice)

Okay... All of that was so off topic.

The Goat will state this so we don't have to keep this thread going.

REV A is theoretically capable of doing simultaneous voice and data. Like Communism.... It looks wonderful on paper, yet in practice there are a lot of hurdles. I doubt we will see it on the Pre my friends. If we do, it will come way later.

The Goat has spoken.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    PreMan... I have just been working and working and finishing up school.

I've been lurking fairly regularly. There just aren't too many discussions that interest the Goat since we now have release date and pricing. Plus, the forum is SO busy since back in the day. It's hard for me to keep track of all of what's going on in here.

I did figure out how I'm getting my Pre though. My local Sprint franchise store is actually getting them ON June 6th or even possibly the day before. Either way, the Goat is good friends with the store manager and will be the first to have his phone activated in my little town. (I also am going to buy him a video game of his choice)

Okay... All of that was so off topic.

The Goat will state this so we don't have to keep this thread going.

REV A is theoretically capable of doing simultaneous voice and data. Like Communism.... It looks wonderful on paper, yet in practice there are a lot of hurdles. I doubt we will see it on the Pre my friends. If we do, it will come way later.

The Goat has spoken.
    Good for you! I hope you get it on the 5th. I too have a friend down here in South Florida who is holding one for me but I have to buy him 2 lap dances LOL
    Good for you! I hope you get it on the 5th. I too have a friend down here in South Florida who is holding one for me but I have to buy him 2 lap dances LOL
    HAW! That's fantastic!

Well as long as we get ours with little drama then all will be well. You and I and others have been following "our precious" for way too long to get screwed on launch day by any type of supply issues.

-Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Sounds tricky. No wonder they don't do it. There is another implication of doing this though. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't EVDO channels run at full power using bursts on a time multiplexed basis whereas voice is run continually at minimal power with the CDMA encoding used to separate the voice channels? Voice on an EVDO channel would tie up a lot of bandwidth at high power while trying to maintain low latency. Ugh. Sharing an EVDO channel with people watching their Slingbox or YouTube videos sounds like a headache.
    EVDO Rev A supports QoS (Quality of Service) which would give priority to VOIP over all other data. There wouldn't be any problems.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    The only thing that would bug me about data and voice at the same time is that this phone actually was built to multitask and the fact that it wouldn't be able to handle that is beside me...

but then again, I'm not often using voice with data and vice-versa...
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    That all depends on your location. I switched from Sprint to att years ago cause it would drop calls like crazy. I'm hoping it's gotten better. The only problem I've had with att 3G and iPhone is when they had they're 3G problems twice here in the Detroit area. Other than that they've been pretty good.
    I switched to AT&T last November and I think I've had maybe 2 dropped calls. I'm constantly on a phone call and looking up quotes or something on the Internet at the same time. I do agree that it depends on the area and how well AT&T's network is in that area.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    EVDO is short for Evolution - Data Optimized. No data while on voice call
    EVDV, for Evolution - Data and Voice. Simultaneous voice and data.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Sprints CEO Dan Hesse talked about an "app" (not sure if he was referring to a 3rd party app or the Pre's built in stuff) that he was shown that would allow one to be on a call and check their calendar and send an email. Link It starts at the part where he talks about cards and background apps. If you have gone past half of the video you've gone too far. What do you think about this? Is calling + data at the same time a go? Is this a big joke or are Palm and Sprint just hiding something?
    Currently I believe you're able to do all of that. I have a 700wx and can send text messages and flip to my calendar and other apps while on the phone, however you can't surf the web or use google maps or other apps that use data. I haven't really tested this on emails, so that may work differently (they may be sent after your call completes) but here's a link to how the SMS portion would work and why you'd be able to do this while on a call:

HowStuffWorks "How SMS Works"
    You can do it with WiFi turned on.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    shame on Hesse if he was talking about wifi but implying 3G. that's misleading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    shame on Hesse if he was talking about wifi but implying 3G. that's misleading.
    Kinda like the Sprint 4G commercials with the Pre implying it's a 4G phone. The press release that Premier customers were supposed to get the Pre first. If it was revealed that Sprint's decisions were based on a monkey pulling levers I wouldn't even be shocked.
    I just skimmed the Pre user guide and read that you can not surf the web while on a phone call. I am guessing that you can not run Telenav GPS while on a phone call.

If this is a limitation of the Sprint network then it gives me enough reason to hold off until the GSM version is available.

Thoughts?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    It's just how CDMA is. GSM with HSDPA and HSUPA (I think it is) allows this.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I just skimmed the Pre user guide and read that you can not surf the web while on a phone call. I am guessing that you can not run Telenav GPS while on a phone call.

If this is a limitation of the Sprint network then it gives me enough reason to hold off until the GSM version is available.

Thoughts?
    Swieder I opened this discussion up a few davs ago check it out... http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...same-time.html
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    You can't surf the web, but I think that the maps for the trip are cached so you should be able to use Sprint Nav and be on a call at the same time.
    I have never used Telenav, but I was told that the program caches your current route once it's calculated. So if you continue driving on one route while talking it shouldn't be an issue I think. If what I was told is wrong then I will have major issues with telenav because my road trips often take me out of service areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post

Thoughts?
    I think you'll still get it. I said the same thing when I saw that days ago and I got over it. I'm coming from att and love that feature, but like someone pointed out, how much do you actually use that feature. I know it should be there just incase you want it. Don't forget you have a 30day trial.
    Swieder I opened this discussion up a few davs ago check it out... http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...same-time.html
    Thanks preman2be913,

We really are booming in members and repeated threads.

I try to merge what I can, when I can.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast