Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Oh I'm enjoying it. Except for the times it doesn't work.
    It's such a nice phone though. I shouldn't have said it's a deal breaker, It just upsets me that it can't do it.
    It does kind of suck but you won't really notice it usually, it's pretty rare that you'll even try to do it, and if you do, you probably will be within a wifi hotspot. I sincerely doubt you'll be on a call and try to browse for parts while you are driving - at least I really hope not.

The speed and quality of sprints network compared to AT&T makes up the difference, imo. You should notice the speed difference pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by abarrera View Post
    The only thing I care about is being on the web and still have a call come through and not get sent straight to voicemail.
    That doesn't happen with any PDA phone on sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by despo88 View Post
    any Treo Pro people that can try this and let us know?
    Treo Pro does NOT allow web use while on a phone call. I tried. I even tried a few different apps other than browsers that won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    .....snip.......
    Treo Pro has a tendency to miss calls while it is syncing email in the background or in IE etc. Of course the Treo Pro's miss calls regularly anyway, and no one has really found the reason why, so it may be premature to blame it on the the call/web problem with Sprint and CDMA. For the record guys, Verizon doesn't support this either, so don't be jumping down Sprint's throat over this without blaming the other major US carriers who don't support it as well..
    The only real concern for me with this "unfeature" is that what if I am on a relatively long call and I get important IM's or calendar updates etc?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    That's MY primary concern, too. Any answers out there? Are small data packs ok? Similar to how you can get an SMS while on the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It happens on my Blackberry.
    It happens on my Blackberry.
    Not mine. Get yours checked out.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Whether or not it "can" do it, it really is terrible that it doesn't. Obviously being able to look up something online while on a call is useful. But a problem I've always had is that I'll be on the internet and when people call they get tossed right into voicemail or (on my Touch Pro) sometimes important texts aren't showing up until after I close my Opera app.

I've used an iPhone and one thing about having a great browser is that you use it ALL the time. If the Pre browser is as good then people are really going to notice how bad it is that you can't talk and surf.
    I'm reading this forum right now on my blackberry and I got a call.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    That's MY primary concern, too. Any answers out there? Are small data packs ok? Similar to how you can get an SMS while on the phone?
    SMS uses the control channel instead of the voice/data channel. Since it is a separate channel, that is how you can receive a text while on the phone.
    I'm reading this forum right now on my blackberry and I got a call.
    You'll get call notifications while surfing and be able to answer the call, but you won't be able to surf while making a call. Also, once you answer the call, your web session will be suspended, but you should be able to pick it back up after you finish your call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Whether or not it "can" do it, it really is terrible that it doesn't. Obviously being able to look up something online while on a call is useful. But a problem I've always had is that I'll be on the internet and when people call they get tossed right into voicemail or (on my Touch Pro) sometimes important texts aren't showing up until after I close my Opera app.

I've used an iPhone and one thing about having a great browser is that you use it ALL the time. If the Pre browser is as good then people are really going to notice how bad it is that you can't talk and surf.
    Dude, i'm scared to go past a minute having a call that won't drop on me when using an iphone. Like i really want to push my luck browsing while talking.

Give me solid voice or data first and then we can talk about how good it might be for AT&T to do both at same time. At least with Sprint, i won't drop a zillion calls or have 3G **** out on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    You'll get call notifications while surfing and be able to answer the call, but you won't be able to surf while making a call. Also, once you answer the call, your web session will be suspended, but you should be able to pick it back up after you finish your call.
    ok all im saying is that i want to be able to get calls while on the web and not have them go to voicemail...i dont need to surf on the web while on the call...just dont want to miss any calls...and if my blackberry does this then i dont see why the Pre cant.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Dude, i'm scared to go past a minute having a call that won't drop on me when using an iphone. Like i really want to push my luck browsing while talking.

Give me solid voice or data first and then we can talk about how good it might be for AT&T to do both at same time. At least with Sprint, i won't drop a zillion calls or have 3G **** out on me.
    Card I hear you besides ever since I joined Sprint I don't even know what a drop call is.
    It's not just me, watch the latest buzz report at cnet..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

That all depends on your location. I switched from Sprint to att years ago cause it would drop calls like crazy. I'm hoping it's gotten better. The only problem I've had with att 3G and iPhone is when they had they're 3G problems twice here in the Detroit area. Other than that they've been pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    This is how it'll work: Sprint can move calls over to a VoIP channel at the backend (kinda similar to the tower to tower call transfer) since IP supports multiple simultaneous connections. For example, you start a call on the regular CDMA network, you begin an EVDO data session; you're call is paused (for microseconds without you even noticing) and then once the EVDO connection is established it is moved to a VoIP channel between the tower and your cellphone. If you want to close your EVDO data session before ending your call, the network can choose to keep it open for the call, or close it and transfer the call back to CDMA.
    Sounds tricky. No wonder they don't do it. There is another implication of doing this though. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't EVDO channels run at full power using bursts on a time multiplexed basis whereas voice is run continually at minimal power with the CDMA encoding used to separate the voice channels? Voice on an EVDO channel would tie up a lot of bandwidth at high power while trying to maintain low latency. Ugh. Sharing an EVDO channel with people watching their Slingbox or YouTube videos sounds like a headache.
    Hi, I just saw this on palmgoon.com:
    Your Pre Questions Answered: Part 3 | Palm Goon

If you look at the second question, it states:
    Quote Originally Posted by palmgoon.com
    Fdezarra: How will the Pre handle voice and data? Will it be able to handle both simultaneously? If not, will it store emails and hold on to them to be sent as soon as possible once voice is over? Or will it not let you write an email at all unless you are NOT on the phone?

That is the beauty of a 3G EVDO network, it can handle data and voice at the same time so you can receive and send all you want while you are on the phone. Heck, even the Instinct does that now. Of course, the Pre takes it further with multi-tasking. The Instinct canít do that.
    So, good news, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    Hi, I just saw this on palmgoon.com:
    Your Pre Questions Answered: Part 3 | Palm Goon

If you look at the second question, it states:

So, good news, right?
    the instinct allows you to text while on a voice call but not pull up the browser.... he didn't say send and receive emails.... he just said send and receive.... nor did he say yo can browse while on a voice call......
    Last edited by Str8addicted; 05/23/2009 at 01:59 PM.
  19. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I've heard the same. This is definitely a deal breaker for me. I need to be on the phone and check for parts/prices on the web.
    I need to be on the phone and listening to Pandora.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Correction: the only part wrong in my statement was that Sprint disable's it. I revise that to: Sprint doesn't support it.

But it is capable of doing so.

This is how it'll work: Sprint can move calls over to a VoIP channel at the backend (kinda similar to the tower to tower call transfer) since IP supports multiple simultaneous connections. For example, you start a call on the regular CDMA network, you begin an EVDO data session; you're call is paused (for microseconds without you even noticing) and then once the EVDO connection is established it is moved to a VoIP channel between the tower and your cellphone. If you want to close your EVDO data session before ending your call, the network can choose to keep it open for the call, or close it and transfer the call back to CDMA.

So there you go. And don't say I'm "wrong" unless you provide proof.
    SNAP! He so deserved that. Good job Haydur. (The Goat is actually fueling conflict.... But Haydur's response was sweet.)
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast