Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    obviously because it has big implications for the PRE, we are trying to determine if Sprint's network is capable of simultaneous 3G Voice + 3G Data (NOT WIFI). is this possible? please test and let us know. thanks!
    Last edited by Gekko; 05/23/2009 at 09:58 AM.
  2. #2  
    i have an instinct, but it only allows a few apps to be used while in a call. none of them data apps. i did read the following on palmgoon though:

    http://palmgoon.com/your-pre-questions-answered-part-3/

    "Q: How will the Pre handle voice and data? Will it be able to handle both simultaneously? If not, will it store emails and hold on to them to be sent as soon as possible once voice is over? Or will it not let you write an email at all unless you are NOT on the phone?

    A:That is the beauty of a 3G EVDO network, it can handle data and voice at the same time so you can receive and send all you want while you are on the phone. Heck, even the Instinct does that now. Of course, the Pre takes it further with multi-tasking. The Instinct can’t do that."

    like i said, if the instinct DOES do it, i can't figure out how to test it.
  3. #3  
    i'll try it (if you tell me how).
  4.    #4  
    another question - can you do true real-time PUSH email with GMAIL IMAP4 Idle + the Instinct's email app???
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    another question - can you do true real-time PUSH email with GMAIL IMAP4 Idle + the Instinct's email app???
    with a few exceptions, i'd say yes, it is very real-time. sometimes the phone will tell me i have gmail before the notifier on my pc does.

    other times the phone will go long periods without notifying me at all. dunno if that's a problem with the crappy phone, the crappy implementation of the service, or what.

    overall, i'm very happy with the "push" on the instinct.
  6. deltatko's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #6  
    other than getting texts or emails you can't do much on the Instinct while on a call, and I know for a fact you can't surf the web or use the Sprint Navigation while on a call.
  7. #7  
    This is crap, I thought that was the big deal with 3G. I hate to compare this to the iPhone but that's one thing I love about it. I can be on a call and look things up on the internet.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by deltatko View Post
    other than getting texts or emails you can't do much on the Instinct while on a call, and I know for a fact you can't surf the web or use the Sprint Navigation while on a call.
    can someone try to send/recieve an email via 3G data while on a call?

    test would be -

    1. turn off all wifi.
    2. call your voicemail
    3. while on phonecall, send an email to yourself and see if you can receive it while you're still on the voice call.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper1010 View Post
    i'll try it (if you tell me how).
    call someone and try to go on a site at the same time
  10. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by despo88 View Post
    call someone and try to go on a site at the same time
    as i said, you can't do that on the instinct. the browser isn't available as one of the in-call apps.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by skippyrulz View Post
    as i said, you can't do that on the instinct. the browser isn't available as one of the in-call apps.
    how about my email test?
  12. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    how about my email test?
    well... that one was a little weirder.

    called *2. sent an email to one of my gmail accounts that the instinct gets. waited. waited. waited. the data icon never moved, and i didnt get notification of the email. ended the call. the data icon started to move, but i still never got notification of the email. went into the email app and there was my test message.

    so i'm not sure exactly when it came through and why it didn't tell me, but i'm guessing that it was after i hung up.

    i dunno what the palmgoon answer guy meant when he said it was already possible on the instinct, but it sure ain't working for me!
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by skippyrulz View Post
    well... that one was a little weirder.

    called *2. sent an email to one of my gmail accounts that the instinct gets. waited. waited. waited. the data icon never moved, and i didnt get notification of the email. ended the call. the data icon started to move, but i still never got notification of the email. went into the email app and there was my test message.

    so i'm not sure exactly when it came through and why it didn't tell me, but i'm guessing that it was after i hung up.

    i dunno what the palmgoon answer guy meant when he said it was already possible on the instinct, but it sure ain't working for me!
    outbox cache send?
  14. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    outbox cache send?
    If you read the links, Sprint does not support simultaneous data and voice without wifi or wimax.
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    outbox cache send?
    i'm not sure what you mean. i sent from my pc to the instinct. i'm pretty sure the issue lies with the phone just not notifying me that it got the email.

    i'm going to go try it again. we'll see what happens.
  16. deltatko's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    can someone try to send/recieve an email via 3G data while on a call?

    test would be -

    1. turn off all wifi.
    2. call your voicemail
    3. while on phonecall, send an email to yourself and see if you can receive it while you're still on the voice call.
    The Instinct doesn't have WiFi
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by skippyrulz View Post
    i'm not sure what you mean. i sent from my pc to the instinct. i'm pretty sure the issue lies with the phone just not notifying me that it got the email.

    i'm going to go try it again. we'll see what happens.
    i meant email to instinct from instinct.
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i meant email to instinct from instinct.
    oh. no. that won't work. you can't get to the email app while on a call. only stuff like contacts, sms, etc. since the phone doesn't really allow multi tasking, if you're on a call, you can hit the home button to bring up a list of the "in-call" apps. unless there's another way to get to the browser or email that i'm not aware of, it won't work on the instinct. not because of the 3g network's capabilities or lack thereof, but because you can't get to any data apps while in a call.
  19. #20  
    EVDO does not do simultaneous voice and data. Period.

    If you're browsing, or receiving email when a call comes in, the phone will pause the download and take the call, then resume it when the call ends. If you're typing an email and hit send while on a call, it isn't going to go through until the call ends.

    That's a limitation of EVDO, not of the Pre, Treo, Instinct, or any other phone. It is an(possibly the only) advantage of AT&T's 3G network.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.

Posting Permissions