Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if the pre will work on my university network. I'm not familiar with different protocols and authentication things. I remember iPhone users having trouble at first accessing the wireless network, however they got an "update" and then it allowed them on. Doing a quick search I found this as the "system requirements" and I have no idea what any of it means. Any help? Thanks a bunch guys!

Required Security Components:

WPA Enterprise (Wi-Fi Protected Access)
    TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol)
    EAP-MSCHAPv2(Extensible Authentication Protocol)

These components provide encryption of the information being sent (WPA & TKIP) and the ability to authenticate to the system with a wireless ID and PIN (EAP-MSCHAPv2).
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    Hey guys,
    Doing a quick search I found this as the "system requirements" and I have no idea what any of it means. Any help? Thanks a bunch guys!

Looking at that Pre-Launch pdf that got leaked, I'm reading it as having at least 2 out of 3. You're ok on WPA/TKIP encryption, but I'm less sure about the EAP logon:

Can the Pre support Enterprise Wif?
    Enterprise-grade Wi-Fi (802.1x) WEP, WPA (both personal and enterprise), WPA2 (both personal
    and enterprise)
    Secure Wi-Fi- EAP-TLS, PEAP v1/v2, EAP-TTLS, EAP-FAST, LEAP
    I don't know enough about EAP to judge whether one of the options they list is another name for the EAP that your network uses. Maybe somebody else can interpret that.
    I think you're good to go.

Wikipedia to the rescue:

PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2

PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2 is the technical term for what people most commonly refer to as "PEAP". Whenever the word PEAP is used, it almost always refers to this form of PEAP since most people have no idea there are so many flavors of PEAP. Behind EAP-TLS, PEAPv0/EAP-MSCHAPv2 is the second most widely supported EAP standard in the world.
    So it looks like EAP/MSCHAPv2 = PEAP, which is on the list of supported protocols.
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the help dwhitman! I did a google search on EAP.

This is what came up. Extensible Authentication Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . it sounds like EAP-MSCHAPV2 is a type of PEAP????? AHHHHH.

I'm still really unsure, and looking at all these different authentication protocols make my eyes go @.@
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I think you're good to go.

Wikipedia to the rescue:

So it looks like EAP/MSCHAPv2 = PEAP, which is on the list of supported protocols.
    Haha thanks again, you made this post as I started looking stuff up too.
    One more point: you can always return the Pre within 30 days if it turns out that it is incompatible with the WiFi network.
    -- Josh
    I'm having a hard time setting this up... I click 'enterprise' for security mode, and then it asks me for my username and password---no other settings. To configure it properly, I need to select a certificate, and a whole host of other settings... sigh
    at my school, our wireless system just requires a user name and password on a welcome page. Now, if only our wireless speeds were a bit faster than dial-up, I would be happy.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    since I cant read networking-ese will it do VPN (PPTP)
    I havent seen options for VPN yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    since I cant read networking-ese will it do VPN (PPTP)
    I havent seen options for VPN yet.
    Nope, and I'm screwed, unless they release a Cisco client
    My pre connects better than my computer on the gov't wireless network that uses wpa2, peap, etc. just like yours.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I haven't had any problem connecting to home or public networks. Piece of cake.
    My work has LEAP and I was not able to connect today. Does anyone know what type of network I should be selecting or the Pre is incompatible with this network type as of now?
    peer to peer or ad-hoc networks don't work either
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if the pre will work on my university network. I'm not familiar with different protocols and authentication things. I remember iPhone users having trouble at first accessing the wireless network, however they got an "update" and then it allowed them on. Doing a quick search I found this as the "system requirements" and I have no idea what any of it means. Any help? Thanks a bunch guys!

These components provide encryption of the information being sent (WPA & TKIP) and the ability to authenticate to the system with a wireless ID and PIN (EAP-MSCHAPv2).
    I have the same requirements as you and I can't figure out how to connect!
    WPA with TKIP encryption
    Protected EAP (PEAP) w/ Validate server certificate
    Secured password (EAP-MSCHAPv2)

Did you figure this out?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini19th81 View Post
    I have the same requirements as you and I can't figure out how to connect!
    WPA with TKIP encryption
    Protected EAP (PEAP) w/ Validate server certificate
    Secured password (EAP-MSCHAPv2)

Did you figure this out?
    I had trouble connecting at first too, eventually I just reset my wireless password/created a new one, and for some reason that magically allowed it to work. Maybe you can try that?
    I have all the above requirements here at georgia tech, and it works just fine.
    I had trouble connecting at first too, eventually I just reset my wireless password/created a new one, and for some reason that magically allowed it to work. Maybe you can try that?
    I can change my password, as a user, but I don't have the admin privileges when it comes to this sort of thing.

I require a cert on my network, and I definitely cannot get it to connect. I wish WebOS was a bit more descriptive in it's errors, and when it's doing stuff in general.
    I can confirm that LEAP works fine on the Palm Pre.
    I can also confirm that enterprise authentication works on the Pre, which is how I connect to my work wireless network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast