Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Got this email from palm through their Palm Developer Network News blog
    http://pdnblog.palm.com/2009/05/a-predevcamp-update/

Posted: 22 May 2009 11:12 PM PDT
    Folks,

I’ve had private conversations with a number of predevcamp organizers since Gio’s post yesterday. Gio and I had a very positive conversation this morning. I’ll say the same thing here that I told him and the other organizers:

Palm supports preDevCamp 100%
    We overreacted to the whole disclosure issue. We’ve been in stealth and super secret mode for so long now, we needed a real world conversation to see how we needed to work things so everybody can operate in their own environment.
    As messy as it feels right now, the passion of the community is incredibly positive
    I’m optimistic that we can find a good solution. And we’re going to keep talking. We’d love to get your two cents, concerns, and suggestions — feel free to join the conversation here, and be assured that even when we sometimes have to keep quiet, we’re always listening to your ideas.

-Pam

Pam Deziel
    Vice President, Developer Marketing
    palm | 950 W Maude Ave | Sunnyvale | CA 94085
    Last edited by Gerorne; 05/23/2009 at 04:04 AM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    An almost completely necessary move if they don't want to alienate just about all the potential developers. That said, it's a very thinly veiled apology for what remains essentially completely unprofessional behavior.

Palm seems to have caught some Apple flu, and not the good kind. The iron-vice-keeping-our-lips-shut kind of flu.

Time will tell whether they make good on backing (one of many) developer communities that will ultimately decide the success of this platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    An almost completely necessary move if they don't want to alienate just about all the potential developers. That said, it's a very thinly veiled apology for what remains essentially completely unprofessional behavior.

Palm seems to have caught some Apple flu, and not the good kind. The iron-vice-keeping-our-lips-shut kind of flu.

Time will tell whether they make good on backing (one of many) developer communities that will ultimately decide the success of this platform.
    I think this is great but I feel both parties were unprofessional, Gio being more so than Palm. He completely went on a rampage and could have caused the ties to be severed completely with Palm.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I think that they have a valid point in being upset. But why isn't anyone saying something about this guy, Gio? He builds this community with thousands of people and hundreds of locations, and when something doesn't go his way he bails on them. He is a poor leader and the dev community would be better suited to have someone else run the show.
    For clarification, since the NDA is the only thing being discussed here. We were very specific and direct with Aaron Hyde that we signed the NDA to cover the release date of the phone. Nothing else. The fact the the meeting was taking place or that we had an NDA was absolutely not part of the agreement.

Second point, Paul Cousineau and Chuq Von Rospach at Palm had asked us on a previous call to make sure the community knew they were talking to us. They were held under some tight restrictions about what they could say to the public, for obvious reasons, and had asked us to be sure the developer community knew they were engaged.

It appears that the two competing needs (communication to the community that Palm was talking to the independent developers via preDevCamp and secrecy) driven by separate camps clashed.

This, coupled with our frustrations based upon some other issues in our relationship with Palm led to the decisions by whurley and myself to exit the scene.

The worldwide movement we created under the preDevCamp banner is, by design, in tact and all local groups, as far as I can tell, are still planning their individual events.

Last point, Palm gets it now...

Pam Deziel, VP of Developer Marketing, responded on the Palm Developer Network blog this morning about the situation:

"We overreacted to the whole disclosure issue. We’ve been in stealth and super secret mode for so long now, we needed a real world conversation to see how we needed to work things so everybody can operate in their own environment."

"I’m optimistic that we can find a good solution. And we’re going to keep talking. We’d love to get your two cents, concerns, and suggestions — feel free to join the conversation here, and be assured that even when we sometimes have to keep quiet, we’re always listening to your ideas."

Read the whole post here: Palm Developer Network Blog A preDevCamp update

Whurley and I are here to serve the community, not the corporation. When it became obvious that we needed to make a bold move to get Palm's attention on behalf of preDevCamp, we moved. Whether you agree with our tactics or not, Palm is seriously paying attention to you now.

The end result has been a more active, genuine, serious relationship between Palm and its independent developer community. Everyone wins. This is what we, as leaders of the preDevCamp movement, hoped to create in the beginning. It looks like we're here now.

Anyone want to talk to me about it personally, feel free to catch me on twitter giovanni (giovanni) on Twitter, email at predevcamp(@)gallucci(dot)net or leave a comment on my original post the agency blog: Palm Just Doesn't Get It...

I'm thinking it's water under the bridge now. Nothing to see here. Go forth and develop. I'm going camping.

-giovanni
    giovanni (giovanni) on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by ggallucci View Post
    For clarification, since the NDA is the only thing being discussed here. We were very specific and direct with Aaron Hyde that we signed the NDA to cover the release date of the phone. Nothing else. The fact the the meeting was taking place or that we had an NDA was absolutely not part of the agreement.

Second point, Paul Cousineau and Chuq Von Rospach at Palm had asked us on a previous call to make sure the community knew they were talking to us. They were held under some tight restrictions about what they could say to the public, for obvious reasons, and had asked us to be sure the developer community knew they were engaged.

It appears that the two competing needs (communication to the community that Palm was talking to the independent developers via preDevCamp and secrecy) driven by separate camps clashed.

This, coupled with our frustrations based upon some other issues in our relationship with Palm led to the decisions by whurley and myself to exit the scene.

The worldwide movement we created under the preDevCamp banner is, by design, in tact and all local groups, as far as I can tell, are still planning their individual events.

Last point, Palm gets it now...

Pam Deziel, VP of Developer Marketing, responded on the Palm Developer Network blog this morning about the situation:

"We overreacted to the whole disclosure issue. We’ve been in stealth and super secret mode for so long now, we needed a real world conversation to see how we needed to work things so everybody can operate in their own environment."

"I’m optimistic that we can find a good solution. And we’re going to keep talking. We’d love to get your two cents, concerns, and suggestions — feel free to join the conversation here, and be assured that even when we sometimes have to keep quiet, we’re always listening to your ideas."

Read the whole post here: Palm Developer Network Blog A preDevCamp update

Whurley and I are here to serve the community, not the corporation. When it became obvious that we needed to make a bold move to get Palm's attention on behalf of preDevCamp, we moved. Whether you agree with our tactics or not, Palm is seriously paying attention to you now.

The end result has been a more active, genuine, serious relationship between Palm and its independent developer community. Everyone wins. This is what we, as leaders of the preDevCamp movement, hoped to create in the beginning. It looks like we're here now.

Anyone want to talk to me about it personally, feel free to catch me on twitter giovanni (giovanni) on Twitter, email at predevcamp(@)gallucci(dot)net or leave a comment on my original post the agency blog: Palm Just Doesn't Get It...

I'm thinking it's water under the bridge now. Nothing to see here. Go forth and develop. I'm going camping.

-giovanni
    giovanni (giovanni) on Twitter
    You all are but a small part of the developement community. Don't get me wrong I appreciate what you all are trying to do but you seriously overreacted also with your tyraids and rants about what Palm should and shouldn't do, all the while abandoning your own philosiphy regarding why PDC was established in the first place. I also think that while you believe this to be a "win" on your part against Palm, they have proven themselves to be geniune about there intentions with you all. They apologized for their actions and realized "your" importance. THEY were the bigger person. I still have yet to hear you apologize for your actions. Word to the wise in dealing with a big company like Palm you may want to practice professionalism and not air all your dirty laundry like this. Running around naming names and such is childish!
    What really matters to me is having as many apps to select from for the device as possible. It seems that is what Apple is promoting very effectively for the iPhone in their commercials right now. They are setting the stage for differentiating their product from the Pre before it's even launched. "We have an app for that."

I would think Palm would also want an app for that.

These 3rd party app developers are truly what makes a product stellar. As a consumer and long time Palm owner, I've been combing through these blogs trying to better understand the product, the new platform and the apps that will be available for it at launch. Palm has buried the non-Exchange Outlook user's need to sync up their contacts. "There's an app for that." I'm sure it's a 3rd party one. I'm also sure there are quite a few stand-alone Outlook users who live & die by their calendar, contacts & task lists and have been wondering... what about me?

That's just ONE example of... "We have an app for that." That Palm is not going to hit the streets with because they've been "in super stealth mode" but I still LOVE MY PALM! I guess our's is like an abusive relationship and I am codependant! You can treat me like trash and I keep coming back for more. I'm very happy that Palm has a VP of Developer Marketing! I hope you cultivate a wonderful relationship with your 3rd party vendors. I had a similar role at a large copier/printer company (name witheld for obvious reasons) and I understand the challenges of integrating non-corporate technology into the "fold". But addressing the end-user community's requirements will only make your product that much better, help integrate you into their workflow in a tighter way which further locks out competition in the long run.

Keep working to fix these relationships Pam. These developers will come around. The more important factor now is... time to market!