Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    Just reading through the launch guide as was curious what folks thought about the Kill Pill feature.

    I love the concept behind it. Losing your phone and locking it down through your Palm Profile to keep away the baddies. But...I'm curious if the function is more than just logging into your profile and wiping it. Maybe a two-step process which involves initiating the request through palm, then receiving an email to confirm and execute. Just thinking out loud on this one, as compromising one account is easier than compromising two.

    And yes, I'm a very strong password kind of guy.

    First post here. I really appreciate everyone who contributed while I lurked.
  2. #2  
    useful
  3. #3  
    Giving it a consideration, it should have a way to double confirm it. I mean a case be made up for the argument sake where you can always forget to logout of your palm profile while accessing it thru browser and someone else can get access to it - thereby to the detonator switch aka remote-wipe. So palm better have implemented some security featuring two layer confirmation before going ahead with the process.
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
  4. #4  
    Way to wipe you device is ALWAYS useful.
  5. #5  
    Well if the Pre is automatically backed up for you (as claimed) remote wiping shouldn't be such a big deal. Not being able to remote wipe would be a bad thing. The simpler the better.
  6. #6  
    I think Palm did this primarily as an introductory nod to IT departments. In many organizations, the ability to wipe a "connected" PDA device is a requirement to be able to connect it to their servers. In most of those that have this requirement, the ability for the admins to do the wipe is part of that requirement. It's a security concern.

    I'm not sure of Palm's implementation of this, but I doubt it's going to take an email confirmation. It may take a secondary password.
  7. #7  
    remote wipe is a beautiful thing. no more need to worry about sensitive data on your phone if it's lost. and no SD card to worry about either - which in this case is a big plus for security.

    BUT - i just hope that your contact info will remain on the phone so the finder of the phone can return it.
  8. #8  
    It's very useful.

    Butler has this feature...and it can perform a range of erase functions based on the command that you send via SMS (with a password), including wiping the internal memory, erasing the SD card, and locking the phone.


    I misplaced my phone at a conference recently and sent the command after I was unable to find it after several hours. I just had to borrow a coworker's blackberry to send SMS. Very nice, Of course, the PalmOS has great backup options. We'll have to wait and see what the Pre has.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    It's very useful.

    Butler has this feature...and it can perform a range of erase functions based on the command that you send via SMS (with a password), including wiping the internal memory, erasing the SD card, and locking the phone.


    I misplaced my phone at a conference recently and sent the command after I was unable to find it after several hours. I just had to borrow a coworker's blackberry to send SMS. Very nice, Of course, the PalmOS has great backup options. We'll have to wait and see what the Pre has.
    backup will be included free, easy, secure, automatic, and via the cloud. you can't ask for much more than that.
  10. #10  
    I don't like the fact it uses a Palm specific tool to do it and not the Exchange admin tool. I think Palm probably did this so non activesync users can remote wipe. Needing to use a Palm tool will be a barrier to Enterprise adoption.
  11. #11  
    i bet they can add the EAS wipe feature at a later date as an option. consumer focus is phase 1. enterprise is phase 2.

    and no i'm not going to use the word "prosumer" because i hate that word.
  12. #12  
    There are programs like Sprite Terminator that not only give you remote wipe capability but also let you remotely activate the GPS and see where your phone is on a map in case it is stolen. That would be pretty cool.
  13. #13  
    If you can wipe the device I hope you can also turn on GPS and location features and use them to find your lost/stolen phone via the palm website.

    Edit: Neodorian already said it, apparently this tab has been open for a while.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    If you can wipe the device I hope you can also turn on GPS and location features and use them to find your lost/stolen phone via the palm website.
    yeah like you're really going to venture deep into the ghetto to retrieve your PRE.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    There are programs like Sprite Terminator that not only give you remote wipe capability but also let you remotely activate the GPS and see where your phone is on a map in case it is stolen. That would be pretty cool.
    ever watch The Wire?
  16. #16  
    If your phone is lost or stolen, you will be so happy to have this capability. No concerns about someone having access to your personal info. No changing your passwords, following your credit reports, etc. It's a good thing.

    I use Butler for this now after going through the "learning experience."
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    If your phone is lost or stolen, you will be so happy to have this capability. No concerns about someone having access to your personal info. No changing your passwords, following your credit reports, etc. It's a good thing.

    I use Butler for this now after going through the "learning experience."
    but isn't there always some little doubt in the back of your mind that the wipe was 100% effective? how will you ever know for sure?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    ever watch The Wire?
    Of course. It's almost a requirement to live here (although it's not particularly representative of the city as a whole) Great series and I love picking out where they shot specific scenes.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Of course. It's almost a requirement to live here (although it's not particularly representative of the city as a whole) Great series and I love picking out where they shot specific scenes.
    i don't watch the show, but my point was about retrieving your Pre in "challenging" neighborhoods.
  20. #20  
    There are thiefs who aren't gang members or folks living in bad neighborhoods. I work in a University, so if my phone got stolen, odds are the GPS would lead me to a dorm room.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions