Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have used this functionality for the last 4 to 5 years and find it important. Daily backups, copying certain files to the desktop for security reasons and the ability to kill the device if misplaced.
    I don't think you can be sure that no one can retrieve your info after a wipe, but I'd feel much better knowing that it would take some effort and knowledge. I think many thieves wouldn't even know to look. When I lost mine, all they had to do was turn it on. Bad news for me. Was I stupid? Oh yeah. Convinced myself I would never lose "my precious".
  3. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    but isn't there always some little doubt in the back of your mind that the wipe was 100% effective? how will you ever know for sure?
    Because the wipe command causes the battery to leak all over the innards of the phone, melting all of the memory components into goo.
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopb View Post
    Just reading through the launch guide as was curious what folks thought about the Kill Pill feature.

I love the concept behind it. Losing your phone and locking it down through your Palm Profile to keep away the baddies. But...I'm curious if the function is more than just logging into your profile and wiping it. Maybe a two-step process which involves initiating the request through palm, then receiving an email to confirm and execute. Just thinking out loud on this one, as compromising one account is easier than compromising two.

And yes, I'm a very strong password kind of guy.

First post here. I really appreciate everyone who contributed while I lurked.
    I haven't read how the feaure works so my post isn't that trustworthy. However, you ask if its useful or dangerous. I think it depends. It would be really helpful if you have really private data on your phone, like your SSN number since you forget it so many times (I know, lame example. The next is also a lame example but as to how the feature can be dangerous.) What if your buddies find out your profile info and decide it would be amusing to wipe out your data? (I'm just saying buddies but I'm sure a "real" buddy wouldn't do that. LOL). Then it would be "dangerous".

One more thing, Welcome to PreCentral.
    I'd like some kind of remote lock or remote alert/alarm. As previously stated in this thread this seems more useful for IT guys. Most people that rob phones aren't usually interested in the info on the phone but rather the phone itself for their personal use or to be sold. Doing a remote wipe would probably do thieves a favor in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    There are programs like Sprite Terminator that not only give you remote wipe capability but also let you remotely activate the GPS and see where your phone is on a map in case it is stolen. That would be pretty cool.
    There is already a program for the pre to locate it. It's called Sprint Family locater, use the free trial and find the phone. My dad misplaced his centro once and I told him pretty much where in his house it was at...well it was either there or in his neighbors house.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    It would do me a favor by not having them crank call my speed dial contacts.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12