Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Is Palm going to wait till after the release to get units to reviewers?

Boy, that IS a low profile release!
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    That or they have them and under NDA still.
    Dieter has had his for a week now...isn't that right Dieter? Oh wait...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Is BGR getting the only review unit?

Dieter, SOMEBODY!!
    Tom
    I assume this isn't the case (I am taking his word for it), but what D94 has been doing on this site is exactly what I envisioned a Pre-Reviewer would do.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Humm... Since we heard that there is a webOS update coming, and the UPS was standing by to re-flash all the Pres, it makes sense that the review units have not gone out yet.

The question I have now is - how come the update is not available now?

As soon as the update is available, the review units can go out.

Also why is the App Store not on line?

If they wait till the last minute to fire up the App Store and the update, the servers are gonna be on their knees.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Humm... Since we heard that there is a webOS update coming, and the UPS was standing by to re-flash all the Pres, it makes sense that the review units have not gone out yet.

The question I have now is - how come the update is not available now?

As soon as the update is available, the review units can go out.

Also why is the App Store not on line?

If they wait till the last minute to fire up the App Store and the update, the servers are gonna be on their knees.
    Someone had posted today that they went to the Sprint store and played with a Pre today and that the App store was up and running. I'll try and find the post.
    Last edited by Bigchris; 05/31/2009 at 01:26 AM.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    I tweeted about this earlier and absolutely could not agree more.

Palm needs review samples representative of the same thing they're going to be selling on the 6th in the hands of reviewers last week. That's right. We need legitimate reviews of the real thing, and not previews from leaked/possibly stolen copies (a-la BGR) that aren't representative of the product at all.

They need to lift the NDA and get some real-world hype going, now.

Where's the marketing? Where's the hype? Where's the reality TV plugs and advertising and full page ads in the new york times? WHERE IS IT?
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
  9. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    I tweeted about this earlier and absolutely could not agree more.

Palm needs review samples representative of the same thing they're going to be selling on the 6th in the hands of reviewers last week. That's right. We need legitimate reviews of the real thing, and not previews from leaked/possibly stolen copies (a-la BGR) that aren't representative of the product at all.

Where's the marketing? Where's the hype? Where's the reality TV plugs and advertising and full page ads in the new york times? WHERE IS IT?
    Are you going to pay for it? Palm put a lot of money into the production and creation of WebOS and the Pre (hardware wise), Elevation put a lot of money into Palm.. If you were a company, that was for intensive purposes on their last leg, would you use [what might be] credit, for advertising/marketing on something that *might* do ok, but not well enough to generate a ROI high enough on marketing/advertising PLUS production + interest on the investments Elevation injected into Palm?
    Either the reviewers all have them and are under NDA, or Palm/ Sprint have decided that since there might possibly be a shortage that they'll send out review units after they're able to produce more.

I'd bet it's the former, but I wouldn't count out the latter.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    Someone had posted today that they went to the Sprint store and played with a Pre today and that the App store was up and running. I'll try and find the post.
    Thanks BIG, I missed that on my first reading.
    Tom
    Is BGR getting the only review unit?

Dieter, SOMEBODY!!
    BGR didn't get a review unit.
    Thanks BIG, I missed that on my first reading.
    No problem.. I'm hoping we're all surprised with some good apps too..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    Are you going to pay for it? Palm put a lot of money into the production and creation of WebOS and the Pre (hardware wise), Elevation put a lot of money into Palm.. If you were a company, that was for intensive purposes on their last leg, would you use [what might be] credit, for advertising/marketing on something that *might* do ok, but not well enough to generate a ROI high enough on marketing/advertising PLUS production + interest on the investments Elevation injected into Palm?
    Uh, hell yeah?!

Let's not forget, people, this is Palm's "Hail Mary" phone. This is kind of a make-or-break product launch, for both Sprint and Palm.

They need to pour some money into marketing the thing to AT&T customers who are going to realize their contract is up, they need to sell some of the features that define WebOS as the truly next-gen Web 2.0 smartphone platform (such as multitasking, cloud sync, synergy, a better web browser, e.t.c.), and they need to do it yesterday.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

I completely agree with you, but am I a bad person for wanting to get my Pre on the 6th and then seeing this "media blitz" start on the 7th?

/edit:
    To add some content:
    They need to pour some money into marketing the thing to AT&T customers who are going to realize their contract is up, they need to sell some of the features that define WebOS as the truly next-gen Web 2.0 smartphone platform (such as multitasking, cloud sync, synergy, a better web browser, e.t.c.), and they need to do it yesterday.
    McNamee is right, there will be quite a few iPhone owners (specially 1st Gen) who will be out of contract, but luckily, that will start AFTER June 29th (1st Gen released) and/or July 11th (3G released).

By then, hopefully us early adopters will have our beta units (I keed, I keed!) in hands and Palm would have churned out enough inventory to feed the masses.
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 05/31/2009 at 02:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I completely agree with you, but am I a bad person for wanting to get my Pre on the 6th and then seeing this "media blitz" start on the 7th?
    That is EXACTLY what I want!!! Less people to compete with for a Pre come Saturday morning.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Absolutely not! (I secretly want the same thing, but the practical side knows that Palm needs to sell absolutely as many of these things as they can get out the door.)

According to wikipedia: "On launch weekend, Apple sold 270,000 iPhones in the first thirty hours."

If they came close...

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Saturday evening is a perfect time to start a marketing blitz. I will be able to compare my phone in hand with the TV commercials!
    we should see a plethora on or about June 4 when NDA expires.
    To some degree, this makes sense.

It COULD be a simple matter of perspective: If we consider it from the point-of-view that June 6'ers are getting pre-launch (no pun intended) units, then whatever day Spralm drops the advertising bomb kinda becomes the effective release date.

Plus, that probably gets the hardcore Palm loyalists taken care of before that fat middle lumbers its way to the Sprint, Best Buy, Wal-mart, and Radio Shack locations trying to "haz" a Pre.

The best argument I'd have against Palm doing the above would be based in the idea that they LOSE money for every day they haven't advertised the Pre. If low initial stock (followed by fully filled re-orders) means that those pulled in by advertising dollars WILL be able to get something they COULDN'T have gotten before, then Palm has very smartly worked the hell out of this.

I guess I just don't believe that ALL of those "ifs" are true.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast